Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 11/12/2007 10:40:32 PM EDT
IM new to hunting, but have been into fire arms for a while in utah is it legit to hunt rabbits small game with a supressor? what about big game? thanks
Jon
Link Posted: 11/13/2007 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can hunt small and big game with a supressor.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes you can hunt small and big game with a supressor.

Really?   I never thought about it and just assumed it wouldn't be allowed.

Where can I find that in writing?
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You can look in the proclamation for big game hunting. In section VI it says: It says you cannot hunt with a weapon capable of being fired fully automatic or any light enhancement device or aiming device that casts a beam of light. It does not say anywhere that a supressor cannot be used.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It's just hearing protection.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Had I read this a few hours earlier I would have asked them today when I went there to pick up my elk tag.  I was under the impression though that game animals could not be hunted with silenced weapons.  I have asked and been told you can hunt things like jack rabbits and coyotes with full-auto and silenced weapons.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Had I read this a few hours earlier I would have asked them today when I went there to pick up my elk tag.  I was under the impression though that game animals could not be hunted with silenced weapons.  I have asked and been told you can hunt things like jack rabbits and coyotes with full-auto and silenced weapons.

This is what I remember.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
jacks are not regulated at all. they are considered varmints. anything goes
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 4:35:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Coyotes are not protected either.

What I posted is what the proclamation says. I also know someone who shot his elk using a .50 bmg and a supressor this year. As far as I know it is legal.
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Until it is certain I would not say "I know someone who" rather I have heard of. . .  The reason is if it is determined to be illegal your comment will criminalize some one.  I have not seen a .50 cal silencer does anyone have info on that?
Link Posted: 11/16/2007 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Until it is certain I would not say "I know someone who" rather I have heard of. . .  The reason is if it is determined to be illegal your comment will criminalize some one.  I have not seen a .50 cal silencer does anyone have info on that?

Sounds convincing to me. I read the proclamation posted above obviously it doesn't you can't. Also if you have ever been in Get some on state street they have several pics of people hunting wit .50 and suppressors.
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
You mean .50 call and suppressors, not a .50 cal with a suppressor, is that right?  I have been there but not seen a .50 cal with a suppressor and those I have seen taken with silenced weapons (that come to mind) are coyotes.  I would be very interesting to see a .50 cal suppressor as I imagine it would be huge.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2007 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Coyotes are not protected either.

What I posted is what the proclamation says. I also know someone who shot his elk using a .50 bmg and a supressor this year. As far as I know it is legal.

Why god why would you shoot an elk with a 50bmg? I guess if you didn't want to be bothered with the whole gutting and packing it out it would make sense; I cant imagine there is much left that is worth eating once a 50bmg goes through it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Well so long as you hit it with a FMJ you should have something left.  Perhaps an incendiary round would eliminate the need to cook it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2007 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd LOVE to hunt jacks with my suppressor.  Assuming I could find any that is

it'd be great to be able to walk and talk without the hearing protection. I wear amplified muffs but the sound isn't natural and even in the cold,  I get kind of clammy under the ear cups after a while.

I don't like wearing them much.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#15]
no a .50 suppressor you can fire the .50 BMG without hearing protection. They run almost $2000 though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
no a .50 suppressor you can fire the .50 BMG without hearing protection. They run almost $2000 though.

+1
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't just trust some anonymous source on the internet - why don't you go to the source?  Write UT-DWR a letter and ask them.  

I asked them a few years ago and the response I got was that yes - hunting with a suppressor is legal.  There is a prohibition against hunting big game with anything "capable of full-auto fire" (or something to that effect) but that doesn't apply to small game.

I use a suppressed Uzi to shoot jackrabbits when I come home to UT.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I will be at the DNR office this next week (if I get my elk) to get the paperwork I need to turn in the head for CWD and ask them about that.  I kind of want to see the look on their faces when I ask so I will report back once I have.  Due to the circumstances (some one buying me the rifle and being left handed which limits the options) I have a 300 WSM which is a cannon compared to what I would prefer to use for hunting.  Granted the 50 cal dwarfs it but even the 300 WSM is overkill for most game and once I get a chance (I have backward priorities spending more on military rifles than on hunting rifles) I will downgrade to a 30-06.  Granted if I had the liquid income I would probably pay the tax to build silencers for most my guns before I do that and would even consider getting a 50 cal so we'll see.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Here it is, I finally found it a .50 caliber silencer.  Now I just need to get a .50 caliber so I can get it.

http://www.gem-tech.com/STORMFRONT.html
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:01:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I know where you can pick up both of them and shoot it there the same day.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Really?  Would it exceed the financial capabilities of a poor student?  If so I will have to wait on this one and probably get the whole enchillada myself someday (my wife says if I get excepted to med school she will get me a Barrett, is that not motivation I don't know what is).
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#22]
It probably will exceed the finances. If you go with the Barrett 82A1 that $8000 +, the supressor is about $2000, then you still got to scope it, I think you should scope it with a NXS Approx $1500. Dang man you better get into med school.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:36:23 AM EDT
[#23]
No wait, I think I could shoot a .50 with open sights.  Imagine the carnage if you used it for that close proximity targets.  It would leave a crater where the rabbit was last seen before the trigger was squeezed.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top