Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:26:00 AM EDT
I work with a major outdoor outfitter company and we are opening a new store in Boise.  I am thinking of transferring. What is Boise like? I have seen the stuff out on the net by the chamber of commerce, but what's it really like? How are Idaho gun laws?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:09:45 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I work with a major outdoor outfitter company and we are opening a new store in Boise.  I am thinking of transferring. What is Boise like? I have seen the stuff out on the net by the chamber of commerce, but what's it really like? How are Idaho gun laws?

Hmmm.. outdoor outfitter company, opening a new store in Boise... I wonder who that is?  :-)

As for Boise, I like it here.  I have done some travelling, and still prefer Boise.  The gun laws are pretty open, as far as I can tell.  If you look down the forum a little bit, you can see the link where the Brady gun control group gave us an F+.  Concealed Weapons permits are pretty easy to get, and seem to be pretty cheap.  

If you like to target shoot, there is plenty of open area just south of town (like 20 minutes).  And a shooting range in the same area.  If you are into competitive shooting, we have Cowboy, USPSA, and IDPA all represented within 1 hour.  If you want to do tactical, you can pretty much shoot every weekend, and many times, both days of the weekend.  We also have the Iron Man 3-gun shoot over in Parma every year.  I went for the first time this year, it is entertaining.  

There is also a lot of great hunting around us, though you do need to do a bit of travel.  If you like fishing, we have some world class trout, though, that is a bit of a drive (a few hours away), as well as Bass, Catfish, Perch.  To the south, there is a resivior that has Walleye in it.  

If you like the Outdoors, Idaho is probably the best state in the lower 48.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm.. outdoor outfitter company, opening a new store in Boise... I wonder who that is?  :-)

As for Boise, I like it here.  I have done some travelling, and still prefer Boise.  The gun laws are pretty open, as far as I can tell.  If you look down the forum a little bit, you can see the link where the Brady gun control group gave us an F+.  Concealed Weapons permits are pretty easy to get, and seem to be pretty cheap.  

If you like to target shoot, there is plenty of open area just south of town (like 20 minutes).  And a shooting range in the same area.  If you are into competitive shooting, we have Cowboy, USPSA, and IDPA all represented within 1 hour.  If you want to do tactical, you can pretty much shoot every weekend, and many times, both days of the weekend.  We also have the Iron Man 3-gun shoot over in Parma every year.  I went for the first time this year, it is entertaining.  

There is also a lot of great hunting around us, though you do need to do a bit of travel.  If you like fishing, we have some world class trout, though, that is a bit of a drive (a few hours away), as well as Bass, Catfish, Perch.  To the south, there is a resivior that has Walleye in it.  

If you like the Outdoors, Idaho is probably the best state in the lower 48.  

When are you guys going to learn? The standard answer is, this is a white supremacist state, nothing to see here, move along.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like the winters here.  I hate frozen fog and all the inversions.  I think next year I'm going to spend 4 months in Arizona.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When are you guys going to learn? The standard answer is, this is a white supremacist state, nothing to see here, move along.

It's ok, he's not from California.  :-)  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I am originally from Montana. I then went to college out in North Dakota, and now loking to transfer out. Boise looks promising.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
What major outdoor outfitter?  Cabela's?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Boise is really a great place.  If you transfer I'm sure you'll like it.  There are a lot of outdoor activities in the region and you can go from desert to mountain in no time.  Just look at a map and see where an 8 hour drive can get you.  For example:

1 hour to Bogus Basin for skiiing or boarding
2 hours and you can be on the Payette river (great white water rafting)
8 hours to Yellowstone/Grand Teton
9 hours to Zion
5 hours or so to the City of Rocks (if you like to climb)
6 hours to the Palouse
9 hours to the coast (maybe a little less)
4 hours and you can be gambling in Nevada (11 to Las Vesgas)

There are pretty cheap flights to Seattle if you want some wilder night life.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top