Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 12:58:00 PM EDT
Between Hurricanes and idiotic over population Florida which is where I have grown up and lived for 28 years is pissing me off.

Need info on land prices and Jobs.

I'm a network system admin land developer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I can't really give you any useful information about land or where would be a good place to work for a network system admin land developer I can tell you this...

I moved here to Utah from Orlando Florida where I was born, raised and lived, up until 4 years ago. I would NEVER go back...not even if you paid me. Utah is a gorgeous place to live, there's tons of outdoor activites...it's just great.

I do know this about the land...you get ALOT more for your money than you do in Florida.

I'm sure some of these other guys can go into a bit more detail about the land and jobs but from a fellow cracker I just thought you might be interested to how it compared living here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Utah still has lots of open, undeveloped land.

Some of the really old, small communities can be stand-offish to newcomers (Mormon or not).  Most of the larger communities or newer developments are warm and welcoming.

The "west side" of SLC is the high crime area.  Most of the rest of Utah is pretty low crime and family friendly.  Big emphasis on "family friendly" state.

Lots of mountains, best snow on earth for skiing in the winter, and lots of places to go hiking/explore caves/horseback riding/shooting/etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure what you mean by "network system admin land developer".  If you mean that you are a network administrator or system admin then all the good jobs are going to be along the Wasatch Front (SLC, Provo, Ogden, Murry, etc.).  A friend of mine is a network admin who works in south Salt Lake and he lives in Lehi. From what I hear there are lots of homes going up in Lehi right now. On the other hand, if you are a "land developer" then it probably doesn't matter what part of the state or what city you are in because there is a lot of land development going on throughout the state. As a native Utahn I've seen a lot of people move here and some of them go through a little culture shock, so just be aware of that. This is a great state to live in but just be prepared for a rather noticeable cultural change from Florida. This is a very conservative state with a very conservative mindset, which is great for gun ownership. Although there are a lot of liberals and enviros who want to move here for the scenery.

ETA: land prices are going up rather quickly in many parts of the state. It was pretty cheap here five years ago, but things are starting to get more expensive as more and more people move to the state. If Florida land prices are anything like California's then you'll do just fine. Many people move here from California and buy a new home with cash because land values are so rediculous in California. That in turn drives prices up here because there is a lot of demand now.  If you own a home in Florida you'll probably be just fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Utah isn't so great... nuthin' but barren salt flats as far as you can see. in fact, I'll give you 2000 dollars for the first bushel of corn you grow here. You'd best move on to Oregon
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Utah isn't so great... nuthin' but barren salt flats as far as you can see. in fact, I'll give you 2000 dollars for the first bushel of corn you grow here. You'd best move on to Oregon

The salt flats are on the west side near the border with Nevada.  Hardly anybody lives in the salt flats.  Most people live along the Wasatch Front (mountain range), wich is nothing like the salt flats.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The salt flats are on the west side near the border with Nevada.  Hardly anybody lives in the salt flats.  Most people live along the Wasatch Front (mountain range), wich is nothing like the salt flats.

Is your sarcasm detector not working?  I thought it was really funny.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is your sarcasm detector not working?  I thought it was really funny.

Sorry, I appear to have suffered from a "slow" moment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:32:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Utah is ok..
i think our property values are going to be alot lower than where u are coming from.. but considerably higher than rural montana or idaho..
On the plus side.. utah has alot of varying terrain, and that opens the door for about every type of outdoor activity a man can do..

However as the population grows, im having a harder time finding open land near ogden where i can legally, and safely, discharge my guns..
Also, you will find many of the locals to be religeous-extremists, and if you arent, they can be less than welcoming..
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Utah is ok..
i think our property values are going to be alot lower than where u are coming from.. but considerably higher than rural montana or idaho..
On the plus side.. utah has alot of varying terrain, and that opens the door for about every type of outdoor activity a man can do..

However as the population grows, im having a harder time finding open land near ogden where i can legally, and safely, discharge my guns..
Also, you will find many of the locals to be religeous-extremists, and if you arent, they can be less than welcoming..

Hey!  I resemble that remark.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I meant i work for a land developer.

I could care less about peoples religion as long as it doesn't involve them blowing people up.

I am considering UTAH partly because it is conservative.

yes I would be looking for a tech job.

I don't own a home in florida they are too much money. houses start at $180k for a dirt cheap shack of a house. 3 bed 2 bath 1700-1800 square feet runs $220k+
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I could care less about peoples religion as long as it doesn't involve them blowing people up.

I don't own a home in florida they are too much money. houses start at $180k for a dirt cheap shack of a house. 3 bed 2 bath 1700-1800 square feet runs $220k+

Housing prices in Utah are going to vary a lot by location.  In some parts of Utah a house would cost you just as much.  Fortunately, there are other parts where the same house will cost a lot less and still be in a nice neighborhood filled with great people.

I can tell you this, my house was recently appraised for less than $180k and it has more than 1800 square feet.  Well, 1600 finished plus an unfinished basement.  I live in a terrific neighborhood.

No, you won't find any suicide Mormon bombers.  You might bump into a missionary, though.  They're just excited to talk with you.  If you're not interested just tell them so (politely but directly) and thank them for their kind offer.  That's usually all you need to do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Housing prices in Utah are going to vary a lot by location.  In some parts of Utah a house would cost you just as much.  Fortunately, there are other parts where the same house will cost a lot less and still be in a nice neighborhood filled with great people.

I can tell you this, my house was recently appraised for less than $180k and it has more than 1800 square feet.  Well, 1600 finished plus an unfinished basement.  I live in a terrific neighborhood.

No, you won't find any suicide Mormon bombers.  You might bump into a missionary, though.  They're just excited to talk with you.  If you're not interested just tell them so (politely but directly) and thank them for their kind offer.  That's usually all you need to do.

One of our guys in the Florida forum is a mormon. He told us all about the missionary work.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top