Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 7:27:34 AM EDT
Well, I didn't make it out to elk or deer season this year on account of having a baby and buying a house, but I know rabbits are still good for a few months. I'm talking about the eating kind, snowshoe and cotton tail. So, anyone know of a good area to head out rabbit hunting in Utah? Perferably somewhere that would be nice to camp as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Its been a while, but a few years ago the Vernon reservoir area was pretty good for cottontails.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't know about "eating" rabbits, but I've popped jackrabbits all over Millard County.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard reports of massive bunny populations in the Park Vally area, but both times I tried to go a hellacious snow storm hit just before I got to Snowville (once in June and once in October).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have heard reports of massive bunny populations in the Park Vally area, but both times I tried to go a hellacious snow storm hit just before I got to Snowville (once in June and once in October).

Thats the best time to go...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't know about "eating" rabbits, but I've popped jackrabbits all over Millard County.

Any specific area in Millard? Millard is a big county. Years ago it was hot around the power plant.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Any specific area in Millard? Millard is a big county. Years ago it was hot around the power plant.

There are still some good areas around the power plant.  Also many of the areas along the highway between Delta and Holden.

Or go farther west into the desert on the back roads and start walking.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are still some good areas around the power plant.  Also many of the areas along the highway between Delta and Holden.

Or go farther west into the desert on the back roads and start walking.  

Thank you Sir. I will give it a try.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had great jackrabbit hunting luck in the past in random fields in Fountain Green, UT.  Also had decent luck just past Five Mile Pass off State Highway 73 past Cedar Fort and ending at Toole.

Las week I went rabbit hunting on the west side of Utah lake just south of all those new housing developments on the Northwest Side of Utah Lake (Saratoga Springs?).  There were no rabbits there, lots of deer droppings, but no rabbits or any sign of life living there.

Anyone know where good coyote or varmint hunting is at any reasonable distance from Utah or Salt Lake Valleys in the desert (within 60 minutes)?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Hunted for rabbits on the west side of Utah lake (south of the housing developements by a few miles) and immediately south of the burn by a large hill on the east side of the road. The first weekend we only saw a few Jack rabbits. They'd flush and you'd only see them for a few seconds. The milkweed was waste high giving them incredible cover. We went out this last weekend after the snow fall. The snow has flattened all of the grass and milkweed. There are rabbits everywhere. We killed one cotton tail, it was tasty, and 4 jackrabbits. Plus we flushed a bunch more but didn't have a shot.  The rabbit population is really large this year on the west side of the lake, just that up until now they had an immensly dense ammount of cover because of the milkweed.

Notice the difference between the two weekends:

Oh, and hartzpad, that wasn't deer droppings you were seeing, it's all rabbit poop. There are thousands of them out there.

I also learned something saturday.... When hunting rabbits with 68gr JHPBT, don't aim center mass on cottontails, it's fine for Jackrabbits, but not cottontails.    Luckily it only atomized  the front half and left me the hind quarters and most of the back to eat.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a few hot spots in sevier county that I hunt by myself. Hit 5 jacks last Saturday. I used to hunt on the other side of Utah lake by the nutty putty cave area along the power lines. I always had shots there but nothing like I have here in sevier county. I see more in one hour than I would see in several trips when I was up north. Last summer I saw a lot of cotton tails near the geo thermal plant near milford.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#12]
The hottest spot I've found is South of Simpson Springs in Tooele County, in the area around Indian Springs, East of the Pony Express road. I've got a friend who's a falconer and takes his hawks to hunt there. He'll probably kill me for giving away his secret spot head.gif
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top