Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 1/3/2006 1:03:34 PM EDT
Actually considering asking for a new assignment to the Tooele Army Dept (AD Army), any opinions on the local area? Good spot to invest and buy a house? Recreation? Cost of living? Any info is apreciated.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
It is nice out there.  it is very "shooter"friendly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of open space, yet close to the mountains for recreation. Housing prices are still okay. Cost of living is pretty good. Like medicmandan, I would like to live there, but the commute would be to much. I don't know your .mil background, but EG&G Defence Material is/was a good outfit to work for from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:51:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info and links guys, I've been googling for a few days now, read lots of info but thought I'd try to find some people who have actually visited there. Sounds like a nice spot. The only thing that concerns me is that it might be a bit too small for me. I don't like major metro areas but still ike the feel of city life. Places with approx 100-200K people. Tooele might be a bit small but SLC isn't far away, I think I can get my urban fix there when I need to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a good "survivalist" friend who lives in Stansbury Park there.  Nice place, good shooting in the hills.  His housing addition is way too packed for my tastes, but he says the people are nice.  If you need any info. let me know and I'll query him for you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Good time to move to area - you could realize gains in your house as growth is exploding. Buy as much house as you can handle and spend the rest on ammo.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey DETSLIDER, I used to be at the 62d!

Tooele is better than Dugway, and it is better now than it was when I first got there (1997)  I still know a couple of the-7's out there.  The 62d has a pretty diverse mission and a HUGE response area!  Chem pay comes in handy, if they still put in for that.  

I'll be going TSD this summer, so, hopefully, soon we'll be pulling some VIPs!

Cheers!

~Will
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I just closed on my house and moved over this past weekend. If I had to do it over again, now knowing the commute to downtown SLC, I would do it in a heartbeat. I got a house for almost twice the size at the same price as the house I had in Murray.

The drive from my house to work is only about 35 minutes. The worst part is the stretch from the I-80 exit to my house. That takes up 15 of the 35 minutes of my commute.

I would highly recommend it. It would be nice to have another arfcommer out there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#11]
i grew up in tooele, i moved out of my dad's house in 2002, when i left it was growing rapidly, every time i come back it just keeps getting bigger. nice little town, they just put in a new gunstore downtown, fairly nice. they are building 1 or 2 new highschools over the next couple of years.

if i was certain i could find a job in saltalke or the area i would move back in a heartbeat. the mountain reacreation activities are great.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top