Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:19:10 AM EDT
Any area info would be appreciated.
Did Kali/ Hollywood discover this town yet like the Jackson area?
Loooong winters? I like the cold but not for 9-10 months. Thanks for any info...KM
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
At one time my wife and I were considering Powell (near Hart Mountain).  However, after visiting the place we decided against it.  We looked around the area for about a day and half.  

My problem was with the people, I don't know if we were there on everyone's bad day but they all seemed focused on themseleves (kinda like people on the east/west cost).  Said hello to many people and only got a reply from one.  Just a little to cold shoulder for me.

The final straw was when the town invited some yuppie to make a house out of cheese and of course the wine tasting thing.  Also couldn't find any resturant that sold apple pie...Hell, it's Wyoming...no apple pie!

It's definately a farming type town, not cowboy like most odf the state.  Personally, I like the cowboy type towns, a lot more friendly that's for sure.

You just might want to take a look at Sheridan, it a small town (bigger that Powell) but the people there have big hearts and are willing to say hello with a smile, very friendly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:
At one time my wife and I were considering Powell (near Hart Mountain).  However, after visiting the place we decided against it.  We looked around the area for about a day and half.  

My problem was with the people, I don't know if we were there on everyone's bad day but they all seemed focused on themseleves (kinda like people on the east/west cost).  Said hello to many people and only got a reply from one.  Just a little to cold shoulder for me.

The final straw was when the town invited some yuppie to make a house out of cheese and of course the wine tasting thing.  Also couldn't find any resturant that sold apple pie...Hell, it's Wyoming...no apple pie!

It's definately a farming type town, not cowboy like most odf the state.  Personally, I like the cowboy type towns, a lot more friendly that's for sure.

You just might want to take a look at Sheridan, it a small town (bigger that Powell) but the people there have big hearts and are willing to say hello with a smile, very friendly.

I think your gonna find more small towns across WYO/IDA and such turning less friendly to those moving in with so many looking to invade!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think your gonna find more small towns across WYO/IDA and such turning less friendly to those moving in with so many looking to invade!

I am from MT. I was the same way towards newcomers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any area info would be appreciated.
Did Kali/ Hollywood discover this town yet like the Jackson area?
Loooong winters? I like the cold but not for 9-10 months. Thanks for any info...KM

Trust me, man, that wont be a problem. I've lived here for almost a decade now, and Powell is still very much a backwater/farmer/rancher/redneck kinda town. Population is about 5500. Cody (about 20 miles west) is admittedly a little 'touristy' but really only during the summer when theres tons of people visiting Yellowstone (it's about 50 miles west of Cody). And never anything like Jackson (shudder). Theres a decent community college in Powell that draws people from suprising distances as well, but other than that theres not too much to say.

You wont lack for places to go shooting, as with almost anywhere in Wyoming, and being a 'gun-nut' is the norm 'round these parts. The country is beautiful around here too (although Powell itself is in the desert, mountains are a good hours drive away, but never out of sight), so if you're an outdoors lover, you'll be at home. Great hiking, fishing, hunting, boating, biking...anything really.

As for the winters, I wouldnt say they get too cold. This year we've had maybe 6-8" of snow to date, and last year I'd be surprised if we had over 6" all winter. Winters can last a while, but summers do too, it seems. In fact I'd say its more like we have just two seasons; falls and springs go too fast to notice. Summers can get HOT, too. I remember temps. in the 110's at least two summers.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]

The final straw was when the town invited some yuppie to make a house out of cheese

I remember that! It wasnt a house made of chesse, per se, but more of a house that had been...coated in chesse. Yes, inside too. Good god did that place reek!

But yeah...I dont know what the hell that was about and no, it's not there anymore
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top