- People in general?

- Real estate & taxes?

- Annual climate?

- Gun laws, of course.

Anything else you think is noteworthy.

Thanx.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife and I just moved to Utah from there, but we both spent most of our lives in Wyoming.  Great place to live but it just doesn't offer the careers and salaries we're after.

I like the people.  Can be very different depending on which town you are in.  Towns range anywhere from populations of 4 to 50,000.  Farming and ranching communities to cities.  Climate can be nasty.  Cold and windy in the winter.  Gets to about 70-80 in the summer with more winds.  No state income tax.  Gun laws are really lax.  Anything goes.  Concealed carry, class III.  Job market depends on what part of the state you are looking at.  Again, farming and ranching are big.  Mining is big in portions of the state as well (coal and trona).  Oil and gas is getting big again in the southern portion of the state.  

Lots of places to go shooting.  If you are the outdoors type, great places to go hiking, camping, fishing and just about anything else.  Scenery sucks along I-80, but north of there is plenty of mountains and such.  

If you have any other specific questions, IM or e-mail me and I'll see if I can help.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
must say medicmandan, you hit it on the head,,, i moved out here to casper, wyoming 7 years ago, from new jersey

almost to a land of opposites,,, wages are not good, but the freedoms here I believe are well worth it,,, and I still make enough to buy a nice little house, and all the gear I need,,,lol
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always liked Casper.  Closest thing to a real town in Wyoming.  We considered settling there as well.  My wife has some family up there.  We lived in Laramie for three years while my wife went to Law School.  We always were driving to Casper or Fort Collins to experience real life.  After living in Salt Lake City for 5 years, it was quite a shock for us to be back in Wyoming.  I worked for Rawlins Ambulance for a year a we made just about weekly trips to tranfer someone to WMC.  It gave us a chance to eat at a real restaurant and do some shopping.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Wyoming is a great state.  I live in Rawlins but don't let that throw you.  It's a great town but not all the greatest things are found here.  Most will tell you that anything in North Wyoming is far better then Southern Wyo.  Not true.  In just over an hours drive south of Rawlins is some of the best county.  Right now it's hunting season and every other person is bringing out HUGE game!!!  Fishing is the best and oh yea,

Gun laws are very lite, Conceal carry applies to only on your person, and the sky is the limit.  A person I know has well over 40 weapons from SKS, shortty ARs and shottys and as many high cap mags you can get your hands on.

I love this state and never going to leave.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 3:35:42 PM EDT
[#5]
dfergusonp12, how could I forget about Saratoga and the Snowy Range?  It is very beautiful country.  My wife and I used to take the loop from Laramie to Saratoga (in the summer) on our way to Rock Springs because we liked the scenic drive so much.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my take on the great state of Wyoming:

I lived in Laramie for five years ('91-'96), and I have regretted leaving every day since then.

I met some of the best, most honest, down-to-earth people I have ever known in Wyoming.

Great spaces in the outdoors, you can do just about anything you want and no one is going to mess with you, if you even see another person. It was not uncommon for me to fish/hunt all day and never see any sign of other humans.

I truly don't think that there is a more beautiful place on earth. If you enjoy Fishing/Hunting/Hiking/Camping, WYO is a virtual playground. There is easy access to public land in almost every area of the state.

In the 'larger' (relatively speaking) towns, you can have most of the modern conveniences, with out the annoyances of living in other, more conventional, suburban areas.

Get ready for the WIND. It seems to blow non-stop 24/7/365.  But you will grow accustomed to it.  The weather in general varies greatly with elevation, but it can be EXTREME anywhere, anytime. You need to be prepared for any situation. Winters can be harsh, but I love snowmobiling, so that is a plus for me. Summer is great, rarely over 85, and very low humidity.

If/when I go back, it will likely be to Laramie or Casper. I really like Casper.
Northern WYO is very nice, but even more isolated from 'civilization'.
But, as I like to say, 'The civilized world isn't all that civilized any more'.

The Gov't is very much in check, they don't try to control every aspect of your existence.

Gun laws are very liberal, CCW is 'Shall-Issue'.

Crime rates are very low, with a few exceptions.

Jobs can be extremely difficult to find, depending on your skills and which area of the state you are looking at.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to IM me.

Link Posted: 11/24/2003 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Slash I think you really summed it all up.

God Bless Wyo

SALUTE
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Although you do hear,  "I swear I was just helping that sheep over the fence!"
Sorry,  couldn't help myself.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Although you do hear,  "I swear I was just helping that sheep over the fence!"

Only if you are in SW WYO, and then you'll hear it coming from the other side of the border.

Hey, Mormons get lonely too, right?

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top