Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2021 11:58:17 AM EDT
I'm heading that way for a few days and I've never been there before.  Could any of you give me a heads up on the area concerning the following,

-Things to do or see, touristy stuff is ok.
-Covid restrictions
-Safety issues/crime trends etc.
-Recommendations on places to eat.
-Weather considerations for April/May time frame.

Any info is appreciated.  Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Dunno what's open due to covid, but the maritime museum is great. The Astoria column is neat. Head out to Fort Stevens, I've always liked the observation tower overlooking the south jetty (parking lot C). There's also Fort Clatsop, the end of the Lewis and Clark trail basically.

Cross the awesome bridge and check out Cape Disappointment and the North Head lighthouse.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#2]
There is also the Goonies house, which is fun to just see. I also second Fort Stevens.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Weather is almost guaranteed to be cold and windy.   It may or may not rain.

It is a rare and beautiful day when you head over to the coast and the weather is nice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Bowpicker for fish and chips!  Easy walking distance from the maritime museum.

Fort George is one of the best breweries in the state, IMHO.

The museum houses the bridge of the USS Knapp, one of my grandfathers served aboard her during WWII, kind of a neat connection there.  It's a cool museum.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Info is good so far, eat at Fort George for tasty beer and food. Try and get a seat upstairs and get a good view ships.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up guys.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 1:03:37 AM EDT
[#7]
sea side is not too far, it worth it for the shopping, Carousel, beach and aquarium ( small but get to feed seals)
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Dunno if OP has already done his trip, but I second the Maritime museum, the Fort George brewery and Fort Stevens.

The Holiday Inn Express right next to the bridge has rooms that face the bridge/river - a really stunning view.  Some of the rooms have fireplaces.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#9]
+1 for Ft George and bow picker

Head out to the Peter iredale and drive on the beach

small bars are rough, locals only vibes
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:20:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I got back from the Astoria area a few days ago and I will say it was a nice town for the most part.  I hit up the touristy places and walked around downtown a bit.  I could have done without all the homeless people laying around on the sidewalks.  People openly smoking meth on the Riverwalk really added to the ambiance.  The way the tour guide at the one of the towns actractions summed things up was spot on, "Covid and the states health restrictions and other current events, are keeping people away and money out."  That in turn is letting a nice little town like Astoria go down the tubes.

I ventured to other parts of the area and found some very nice places.  Cannon Beach was really nice and they do have their shit together as far as funneling tourists around the town.  The public parking areas and well located bathrooms was a very nice touch.  Cannon Beach didn't seem to have that liberal douchey vibe either.  He beaches at Ecola State Park along with Haystack Rock was a highlight of the trip.

Seaside reminded me a lot of Virginia Beach.  Both are shit holes which I hope to never return to.  The smell of body odor, marijuana, meth and utter decay far outstrip the scents I remember from the Middle East.  

All in all I had a nice time in the area and with the exception of Seaside I will likely return.  Thank you all again for your information and time taken to help me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 for Ft George and bow picker

Head out to the Peter iredale and drive on the beach

small bars are rough, locals only vibes
View Quote

Yep, another big thumbs-up for Fort George. I think their dark beers, especially their stouts, can't be beat. Their Matryoska is my favorite. Big, bold, and darker than Hillary's soul. Their food is pretty good, but you might do better elswhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top