Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 8:14:20 PM EDT
I'll be driving through Malheur County next week going to and from Cola Warrior in Idaho.  My understanding is that counties and localities in Oregon can restrict or prohibit unlicensed open carry or vehicle carry or storage, and that absent this, open carry is legal both in and out of my vehicle except in public buildings.  Is my understanding correct?  Anything else I need to know about State law (I know there are rules for transport of weapons that are out of sight)?

My other question is whether Malheur County or any of the towns along Rte. 95 have any laws more restrictive than State laws on carry, and if so, what are they?  I suspect, given the location and demographics of the county, that this isn't an issue, but I'd like to be sure.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well since this is a new thread and dont want to clutter the board with multiple like questions, i wanted to check legality on carrying while in oregon too (sorry to mooch OP).

I didnt do as much research as OP as i have no idea county (counties) i'll be in, but i will be on the eastside. Heading from boise to pendleton and from pendleton to kennewick, wa.

ive looked stuff up, but i think some sites are outdated, just not sure which are and arent.

I keep taking for granted constitutional carry and still dont have my ccw. How am i able to carry in vehicle and on my person legally while in oregon?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
@bigstick61
@dread_scott

OFF is a good organization. Here is the link:
https://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :
a) Not concealed or
b) “Not readily accessible.”

“Not readily accessible” (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible.”

and more from a lawyer
https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/guns-in-vehicles-in-oregon/

Oregon does not prohibit the open carrying of long guns in a vehicle.

Oregon generally prohibits the knowing possession of a concealed and readily accessible handgun within any vehicle without a license to carry a concealed handgun.1 A handgun is generally considered readily accessible if it is in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. Oregon has special provisions applicable to vehicles that have no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle.2 A person may own, possess, or keep a handgun within his or her residence, including a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used as residential quarters.3

Welcome to Oregon... the east side of the state is just fine, hell the west side too except Porkland, Ewegene, Salem, and some coastal areas.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My other question is whether Malheur County or any of the towns along Rte. 95 have any laws more restrictive than State laws on carry, and if so, what are they?  I suspect, given the location and demographics of the county, that this isn't an issue, but I'd like to be sure.
View Quote

Your suspicion would be correct.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@bigstick61
@dread_scott

OFF is a good organization. Here is the link:
https://www.oregonfirearms.org/faq

OREGON has no STATE law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it is :
a) Not concealed or
b) “Not readily accessible.”

“Not readily accessible” (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in “public places” which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL’s.
So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or “not readily accessible.”

and more from a lawyer
https://giffords.org/lawcenter/state-laws/guns-in-vehicles-in-oregon/

Oregon does not prohibit the open carrying of long guns in a vehicle.

Oregon generally prohibits the knowing possession of a concealed and readily accessible handgun within any vehicle without a license to carry a concealed handgun.1 A handgun is generally considered readily accessible if it is in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. Oregon has special provisions applicable to vehicles that have no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle.2 A person may own, possess, or keep a handgun within his or her residence, including a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used as residential quarters.3

Welcome to Oregon... the east side of the state is just fine, hell the west side too except Porkland, Ewegene, Salem, and some coastal areas.
View Quote

Thanks, and i went to your link and see your answer there too.

I have a tiny brain, so just to make sure, i can carry a loaded pistol if its out in the open, but as soon as it cant be seen, i cant (in a vehicle)? For the eastside of the state, to be kosher, neither the center console or glovebox take keys and its an suv. If i have it unloaded in the center console, is that cool? Makes it close to worthless, but trying to stay legal.

Fuckin bullshit laws.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup.... before I got my WA then Utah permits I kept the pistol in plain site while in WA.

If you frequent OR there are friendly counties who issue. They are listed at OFF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top