Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2014 8:07:23 PM EDT
I understand that non-residents do not automatically get a CHL.  Living in Nevada and making the odd trip to or through parts of Oregon, I feel it would be nice to have.

Any of you locals know which County Sheriffs are more likely to be friendly and cooperative about issuing a CHL to a Nevadan?  

Currently I'm eyeballing Malheur county... closest OR county to me.  But if anyone knows a better option, please let me know.  I'm looking at a trip through the east side and over to Stumptown in the next few weeks.  I pretty much figure the tri-county area sheriffs will be less than open to the idea ... although Washington County and Clackamas might surprise me.

TIA!

Edit to fix terminology.  Oregon uses CHL... NV uses CCP or CCW.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I understand that non-residents do not automatically get a CCP.  Living in Nevada and making the odd trip to or through parts of Oregon, I feel it would be nice to have.

Any of you locals know which County Sheriffs are more likely to be friendly and cooperative about issuing a CCP to a Nevadan?  

Currently I'm eyeballing Malheur county... closest OR county to me.  But if anyone knows a better option, please let me know.  I'm looking at a trip through the east side and over to Stumptown in the next few weeks.  I pretty much figure the tri-county area sheriffs will be less than open to the idea ... although Washington County and Clackamas might surprise me.

TIA!
View Quote

Clackamas County does not issue CHLs to out-of-state residents, Multnomah County only issues out-of-state CHL's for Washington residents and Washington County requires a letter "stating a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need that exhibits a correlation to Washington County." Malheur County out-of-state CHL requirements seem easier
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
This OFF link has an interactive map at the bottom that lets you click on the different counties to see how friendly or not they are.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for the link.  Planning to call in the morning to find out if they are friendly or not.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother from Washington got his from Columbia county. I've also heard that Grant county will issue to out of staters.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Grant County will issue non-resident permits.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
The theme seems to be that for a county on the border, they may issue a CHL to a resident of the state they border with.  So, in my case... Malheur, Harney and Lake counties should all be good.  Malheur seemed friendly enough when I spoke with the gal in charge of it - just were booked up a few weeks out.  Will plan better next trip through to get this done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top