Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2011 2:51:07 PM EDT
I was at a pawn shop yesterday. A guy with 2 little kids was trying to buy a beretta 92. The lady clerk was on hold FOREVER with OSP, so we were all chatting. The guy asked about buying a silencer. The clerk told him that it is so hard to buy one that her friend had to get his class 3 because it was the only way to finally be able to own one. She also said if you buy a class 3 item, ATF/cops can come search your house any time. I think she got that confused with having a FFL? I told the guy to go talk to a class 3, it is easy and with a trust he doesn't even need a signature from the sheriff. I told him that he would be the only one that can use it though, "you can't like let your wife have it for home protection or anything, it has to be locked up", The guy said "If my wife even knew how to use a gun, I'd be dead!" Made me kinda glad I'm single.

Then talk turned to CHLs. They both told me that if you are a renter you need a CHL to carry in you house/appartment and police don't need search warrents to search rented houses. Hmm.

Some people just don't know their rights.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#1]
What color is the sky in their little world?
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the time the customers are worse then the people behind the counter the shit I've heard from  people at the gunshows is mind boggling, I didn't know there were so many Ninja seal army ranger scout sniper space shuttle door gunner brigadier generals out there.

Link Posted: 12/18/2011 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#4]
A class III weapon can be used by anyone in your presents (that is legal to).

On a trust, anyone on writen on the trust can possess it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Added my wife to the trust.  She now keeps a suppressed P220 at home to defend herself with...  

oh yeah, machine guns ARE illegal  
Link Posted: 12/19/2011 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the BS can be thick. I have seen it on both sides of the counter.  Sometimes it's misinformed people behind the counter, others they make it up as they go.   When I was working behind the counter I over heard a co worker say some stuff that was complete BS.  I waited until the customers left and tried to correct him, I was told I didn't know anything.   I have also had the Delta/Seal/Ninja/CIA/Blackwater/ Space Shuttle door gunners of the 315th Mess Kit repair Div come up with some of the bizarre crap I have ever heard!   The sad thing is, normal folks who just want to find out facts may get really bad info from both.

I know one time I had someone from the OHTF save my bacon, I had a customer ask me questions about class III stuff and I was over my head. He looked at me and asked if he could help answer the question. He gave the customer the info he needed, I double checked it later and was spot on.  That was before I got my first SBR, now I am an addict.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 10:01:39 AM EDT
[#7]
People who say things like that reminds me of something I was told years ago:

The primary difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was at a pawn shop yesterday. A guy with 2 little kids was trying to buy a beretta 92. The lady clerk was on hold FOREVER with OSP, so we were all chatting. The guy asked about buying a silencer. The clerk told him that it is so hard to buy one that her friend had to get his class 3 because it was the only way to finally be able to own one. She also said if you buy a class 3 item, ATF/cops can come search your house any time. I think she got that confused with having a FFL? I told the guy to go talk to a class 3, it is easy and with a trust he doesn't even need a signature from the sheriff. I told him that he would be the only one that can use it though, "you can't like let your wife have it for home protection or anything, it has to be locked up", The guy said "If my wife even knew how to use a gun, I'd be dead!" Made me kinda glad I'm single.

Then talk turned to CHLs. They both told me that if you are a renter you need a CHL to carry in you house/appartment and police don't need search warrents to search rented houses. Hmm.

Some people just don't know their rights.

Was this at "Clips & Stuff" in Albany?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a crying shame, the sad part is that these people probably vote too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a guy at a local gun store (he was a customer not employee) tell me that he was going to get/make some ballistic gel to do some testing with his 3 super ninja high speed cameras ($20k each) on some 6.8spc ammo.    Then he proceeded to go on about how some sniper in the stanbox just got a new record for offing some aliban at 1700yds with a 6.8spc.  And then there was the 300win mag AR that he got to test and was being made by Stag Arms or something like that, but he didn't like it for some stupid thing with the stock or something.  The crap that came out of his mouth was staggering.  Like he played COD in his parent's basement on LSD once and this is how he ended up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Like he played COD in his parent's basement on LSD once and this is how he ended up.

I think this is where a lot of the low speed high drag operators at the gun store come from.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#12]
IQ's and room temps about the same.

It's a crying shame, the sad part is that these people probably vote too.

It's not sad, it's down right scary.  I am starting to think in addition to photo ID to vote, a literacy test is a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I was killing some time and decided to stop in at Gun Crafters in Salem one time.  The owner told me it was illegal to build an AR-15 and started ranting about an excise tax or some stupid shit.  Of course, my initial reaction was to try to educate but quickly realized the guy was a complete tool and any effort on my part was going to be wasted.  Every time I had been to that place the same guy makes some sort of classic douche bag gun store statement.  It been years since I've been there and I'm not sure if the same guy owns it or not.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was killing some time and decided to stop in at Gun Crafters in Salem one time.  The owner told me it was illegal to build an AR-15 and started ranting about an excise tax or some stupid shit.  Of course, my initial reaction was to try to educate but quickly realized the guy was a complete tool and any effort on my part was going to be wasted.  Every time I had been to that place the same guy makes some sort of classic douche bag gun store statement.  It been years since I've been there and I'm not sure if the same guy owns it or not.

Was that gun shop s&m in Eugene? Kinda funny when I stooped by to check out a px4 I overheard the guy at the counter telling a guy all about the m-9 being able to hit targets 200 yards away!  With cheap ball ammo. Anyone with a once of common sense knows that's stupid. That's exactly why I quit shopping there, some shops will say anything for a sale! Worse than car salesman....

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was that gun shop s&m in Eugene? Kinda funny when I stooped by to check out a px4 I overheard the guy at the counter telling a guy all about the m-9 being able to hit targets 200 yards away!  With cheap ball ammo. Anyone with a once of common sense knows that's stupid. That's exactly why I quit shopping there, some shops will say anything for a sale! Worse than car salesman....

I'm sure an M-9 could hit targets 200 yards away.....just not reliably!  Fire enough rounds with a mortar style hold over, I'm sure a few might get lucky.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure an M-9 could hit targets 200 yards away.....just not reliably!  Fire enough rounds with a mortar style hold over, I'm sure a few might get lucky.

I recall a Security Policeman at Fairchild AFB dropping(permanently)  a bad guy at 150yds with an m9 back in the 90's.  Remarkable shooting.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hit the ram targets 9/10 times at 200m with one last time I was there.  You are welcome to come to Douglas ridge with me and watch for yourself.  Yes, there is hold over, no it's not like a mortar. no I don't think there is a whole lot of energy to the bullet as it impacts, not I don't want to play 9mm catch at 200m.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Interesting stuff...

Been a CHL holder for close to 10 years...guy at ammo counter the other day told me "by having an Oregon CHL you open yourself up to a felon stop while driving"
1) not sure if that's true because
2) I don't know what a felony stop is

should I grease up?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I h
it the ram targets 9/10 times at 200m with one last time I was there.  You are welcome to come to Douglas ridge with me and watch for yourself.  Yes, there is hold over, no it's not like a mortar. no I don't think there is a whole lot of energy to the bullet as it impacts, not I don't want to play 9mm catch at 200m.

Well ok then I guess its possible. If you ever shot one of those Usmc m9's you would have dought's as well. I've never attempted a shot that far when I had mine. Your using ball ammo?
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I h
it the ram targets 9/10 times at 200m with one last time I was there.  You are welcome to come to Douglas ridge with me and watch for yourself.  Yes, there is hold over, no it's not like a mortar. no I don't think there is a whole lot of energy to the bullet as it impacts, not I don't want to play 9mm catch at 200m.

Well ok then I guess its possible. If you ever shot one of those Usmc m9's you would have dought's as well. I've never attempted a shot that far when I had mine. Your using ball ammo?

Yep, off the shelf ball ammo.    Being an instructor  I had more than a few officers say they thought shots past 50 yards were luck.  I would shoot my G-22C and hit the DPSST target 15/15 at 100 yards..  It's not some magic gift, I just had a really good instructor teaching me and I try to pass it on.  Now that being said, I would bet the average USMC M9 sees more rounds through it than others.  I would also bet some are on the verge of being worn out. Marines are rifle shooter and I bet many if not most would school me at 300m with an M16. I watch these  Marines and Soldiers at the CMP matches shooting fist size groups at 300m   I can't do that, yet.....

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 11:20:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I h

Yep, off the shelf ball ammo.    Being an instructor  I had more than a few officers say they thought shots past 50 yards were luck.  I would shoot my G-22C and hit the DPSST target 15/15 at 100 yards..  It's not some magic gift, I just had a really good instructor teaching me and I try to pass it on.  Now that being said, I would bet the average USMC M9 sees more rounds through it than others.  I would also bet some are on the verge of being worn out. Marines are rifle shooter and I bet many if not most would school me at 300m with an M16. I watch these  Marines and Soldiers at the CMP matches shooting fist size groups at 300m   I can't do that, yet.....

I have hit targets at 100 yds + with surprising regularity (with a Taurus PT 92) and I wouldn't consider myself talented with a pistol either.  Not really too far fetched.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall a Security Policeman at Fairchild AFB dropping(permanently)  a bad guy at 150yds with an m9 back in the 90's.  Remarkable shooting.

June 20,1994 at Fairchild AFB,  TSgt Andy Brown engaged a lone gunman armed with an AK clone at the base hospital.
The distance was 70 yards & with a fudged rear sight, it took 3 rounds to stop the gunman, but that's because Brown thought the first 2 missed.

(been a while so my memory may be fuzzy on a couple things)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I based my claim off my own exspieriance wich was over In the sandbox. Primarily urban envirment and on the range where I qualified exspert. Keeping in mind it wasn't my primary weapon. So I guess I should of thought outside the box before opening my mouth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top