Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2011 11:53:13 AM EDT
I've got myself an AK-74 and over the course of about 1,250 rounds the front trunnion rivets started to come loose.  Luckily the barrel is still firmly pinned into the trunnion and there's only a tiny bit of play (a few milimeters) between the trunion and receiver, so headspacing should not be adversely affected.

From what I could find it looks like I should just be able to re-seat those rivets and call it good, right?  Some people have told me to just get a bucking bar and hammer them home, but I'm not quite comfortable with that.  Anyone have any rivet squeezers around that they'd be willing to loan or let me purchase?  Would the bolt-cutter squeezers even work for me?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
To get to the front rivets you will have to pull the barrel. Which will then need to be headspaced after pressing it back in.

I have the tools to do it. Just not the headspace guages for the 74. I've only built 7.62x39 rifles.

Let me know if I can help.

Justin
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the purists will grumble about it. But if it was me, I would grind the rivet heads down and drill/tap for screws.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Upon re-examination I see you're right, I can only reach the rear-most rivet without pulling the barrel.  Perhaps I should just try to send it back from whence it came for repair?

My major concern is that it will come back fine and loosen up again in another 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
send it back to century, theyll make it all better
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
send it back to century, theyll make it all better

I was actually sort of wondering who made this AK?  if the rivets came out like this, that's a sign of a poor quality build.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#6]
if the rivets came out like this, it's a sign of a Century build.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately the above are correct, it's a century build on an NDS receiver.

Have others experienced this issue?
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#8]
No, but its right up their alley.  

Did you get one of the cheaper ones with ugly black furniture and Nato length stock?  Definitely send it back if you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top