Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2011 4:13:19 PM EDT
I've always thought that the state has a 21 year old requirement for any type of law enforcement related job. This is largely the case, but I heard something the other day that made me curious. Apparently one of my girlfriends has a friend who's boyfriend is going through training with Marion County like a PRE LEO academy whereby he trains until he is 21 and can attend the academy. From everything I heard the guy is 20, is this just basically like a PT type of deal, similar to the Explorer program or like a reserve deputy kind of deal or did I get some information disconnect?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've always thought that the state has a 21 year old requirement for any type of law enforcement related job. This is largely the case, but I heard something the other day that made me curious. Apparently one of my girlfriends has a friend who's boyfriend is going through training with Marion County like a PRE LEO academy whereby he trains until he is 21 and can attend the academy. From everything I heard the guy is 20, is this just basically like a PT type of deal, similar to the Explorer program or like a reserve deputy kind of deal or did I get some information disconnect?

It sounds like an explorer type of deal.  I'm pretty sure DPSST wont allow under 21 to go through the academy though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like an explorer type of deal.  I'm pretty sure DPSST wont allow under 21 to go through the academy though.

Yeah they won't for LEO I know. They do for firefighting and telecomm... I just wasn't real sure as we all know the information disconnect that exists. I just talked it over with my GF and apparently the dude does "ride alongs only" which means an explorer program. I do appreciate the help though!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah they won't for LEO I know. They do for firefighting and telecomm... I just wasn't real sure as we all know the information disconnect that exists. I just talked it over with my GF and apparently the dude does "ride alongs only" which means an explorer program. I do appreciate the help though!

Ya our explorers are duel Search and Rescue, so they get to be explorers until they turn 21....I know some agencies have cadet type programs too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:28:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya our explorers are duel Search and Rescue, so they get to be explorers until they turn 21....I know some agencies have cadet type programs too.

Interesting. So with the cadet program thats basically an extension of the explorer program after 21, but in a paid unarmed unsworn status if I have recalled that correctly?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. So with the cadet program thats basically an extension of the explorer program after 21, but in a paid unarmed unsworn status if I have recalled that correctly?

For some agencies, I believe so...I dunno too much about them, my Dept. only has explorers...after 21 they are done.  My brother almost took a job with OSP as a paid cadet years ago tho.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
In the past, I don't know about the present, OSP has had officers (cadets or whatever their title I can't remember) that were under 21 that did things like patrolled rivers.  One in particular that I know of spent the summers floating the Deschutes R. checking permits and licenses.  He wrote citations etc.  

I can't remember if he said he was armed.  I can't imagine sporting a badge in a remote area without a firearm but he probably wasn't armed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
OSP did away with that Cadet program several years back.  You can imagine the liability of sending someone out in a "police" uniform that was unarmed.

As far as the academy - some community colleges (Like Umpqua, for example) have ROTA, or Reserve Officer Training Academy.  I don't know if they have an age restriction, but I know that firearms training is a part of the curriculum.  I've heard of some folks that were majoring in criminal justice portray themselves as being in a "police academy" or "law enforcement training" so consider the source.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top