Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2009 9:44:18 PM EDT
What did you use to tame the night and how did it work out, and did it fall short in any areas and why. I could not make it out for various reasons but I think we would all benefit from hearing about how the gear worked out.

Discuss.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The one issue I had was with my EagleTac flashlight.  While a good 300 lumen, it would go into strobe mode after the first shot then back to constant on for 2nd shot.   This was only mildly annoying. It did allow me to see all of the targets without a problem however, I just had to keep resetting the mode.

I have now switched out to a different light without the strobe feature.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
In my experiece, I don't know why any one wouldn't run a surefire.  Hands down the best.

I used a Surefire M900A, 120 luman and had no issues seeing the targets or having the light fail at the wrong time.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran my KAC SR-15 with an Insight AN/PEQ-15 and AN/PVS-14 helmet mounted NVG. I'm not trying to gloat, but I had ZERO issues with my rig. In fact the only problem I had was on one of the stages the RO didn't score a good deal of my hits because I was firing in complete darkness.

So that strength also was a handicap if the RO's low light vision was impaired or he/she couldn't hear the pings on the steel.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I ran my KAC SR-15 with an Insight AN/PEQ-15 and AN/PVS-14 helmet mounted NVG. I'm not trying to gloat, but I had ZERO issues with my rig. In fact the only problem I had was on one of the stages the RO didn't score a good deal of my hits because I was firing in complete darkness.

So that strength also was a handicap if the RO's low light vision was impaired or he/she couldn't hear the pings on the steel.

That sounds like a pretty expensive set up. I bet it is a crap load of fun to run.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#6]
That sounds like a pretty expensive set up. I bet it is a crap load of fun to run.

Very much so!

It provides an advantage in ID'ing targets faster in the dark, it doesn't help you actually HIT said targets.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very much so!

It provides an advantage in ID'ing targets faster in the dark, it doesn't help you actually HIT said targets.

Would you mind saying how much the setup cost?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd prefer not to openly. You're welcome to PM me. But I do not want to air what the gear actually cost.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very much so!

Would you mind saying how much the setup cost?

I paid $3400 for my PVS-14, the IR lasers are all over the board, but typically 1-2k.

I found it bulky and hard to see through, it also severly limited your field of view. Esp. sence you have to close one eye to look through the monical (atleast I do).  

Hard having a deprishating item sit in the safe unused so I sold all my stuff.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 1:45:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Another thing people don't understand is that even with the best night vision, they require some light to work.

When I would go in my bathroom and turn out all the lights you couldn't really see much and was super grainy.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have that issue at all with my 14. I can move and shoot both eyes open.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The AK worked perfectly, tritium sights included. I shot stage one without using the light at all and hit all the targets fairly fast.

My light, OTOH.

6v Surefire incandescent just couldn't cut the fog/mist on the long range targets. It lit up the mist and was worthless. I'm planning on swapping out the  incandescent bulbs with LED units before the next match.

Inside or at close range, the Surefire is fine but it just was pathetic compared to the narrow beam LED lights that Gunkata and some of the other guys had.

BSW
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The AK worked perfectly, tritium sights included. I shot stage one without using the light at all and hit all the targets fairly fast.

My light, OTOH.

6v Surefire incandescent just couldn't cut the fog/mist on the long range targets. It lit up the mist and was worthless. I'm planning on swapping out the  incandescent bulbs with LED units before the next match.

Inside or at close range, the Surefire is fine but it just was pathetic compared to the narrow beam LED lights that Gunkata and some of the other guys had.

BSW

Do you feel like the night sights made a big difference?
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My light, OTOH.

BSW

Do you feel like the night sights made a big difference?

Oh yeah!

One stage 1 and 4 I wasn't using the light for sighting, just for target ID as needed.

Pop the light, ID the target, light off, line up the 3 glowing dot on the target, press trigger, repeat as necessary.

BSW
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wierd, I am right handed and left eye dominate so maybe that has something to it.  I also can't look through an ACOG without closing an eye.  Though it's no issue with an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wierd, I am right handed and left eye dominate so maybe that has something to it.  I also can't look through an ACOG without closing an eye.  Though it's no issue with an aimpoint.

I'm right handed and right eye dominant, so I run it on my left eye, keeping my dominant eye adjusted to the dark.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
My 3v led surefire was not strong enough, or maybe the scope I was using wasn't able to bring in as much light because I could faintly make out the targets looking above the scope, but it was even worse in the scope. Someone had a fenix light and it really worked well, I am looking into those.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:44:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My 3v led surefire was not strong enough, or maybe the scope I was using wasn't able to bring in as much light because I could faintly make out the targets looking above the scope, but it was even worse in the scope. Someone had a fenix light and it really worked well, I am looking into those.

How many lumens is that surefire?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top