Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2009 10:09:05 AM EDT
OK so I'm meeting this chick for the first time in The Dalles. I live in Bend and she lives in Pendleton and we agreed to meet roughly half way.

What are some good/fun/reasonablly entertaining things to do in the dalles and or the surrounding area? Any good restaurant or bar recommendations?

Doing some googling the Baldwin Saloon http://www.baldwinsaloon.com/ seems like it might be a neat place??
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 12:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, I gotta second Cape's opinion on this.  Hood River is the most happenin' place for good eats.

In The Dalles, I would recommend Spooky's Pizza.  It is a family restaurant and very popular with the locals.  In addition to Pizza they have other things like burgers, fries, chili, beer,and stuff.  They sometimes have live music on Friday and/or Saturday nights.  I believe they also have a game room for the kids.

If you want something more elegant and less busy, I would suggest Romul's in downtown TD.  A very popular place for authentic Italian food, large selection of wines, and a neat renessaince atmosphere inside.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If you are in the Dalles you may want ot run to Hood River. Better bars and a little more to do.

There are several good bars in downtown HR as well as a movie theater.

Dixies on the hieights for good souothern style. Crazy pepper for mex. There is no good chinese but if I had to choose I would choose China gorge place which at the vase of hwy 35 (panda out front.

Thats it... The dalles is lame.

The Dalles is very lame!

In Hood River I like the Full Sail Brewery/Pub... good food, nice view, and good beer.

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]
PIITB if all else fails
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Baldwin Saloon in The Dalles has some history and very good food.  A little hyped not quite hole in the wall is the Highway House on the east end of town.  Quiet intimate atmosphere with great food.  Doesn't look like much from the outside.  If you're into Mexican, then Ixtapa is the place in The Dalles.  Spookies is good but it's more of a pizza/kid/video game type of place.  The Canton Wok is downtown for Chinese food- expect a ton of food and zero amosphere.  You can walk our 'main streets' easily from either Romuls or Canton Wok.

Hood River has a much better selection and although the downtown is smaller it has the appearance of more going on.  There's too many restaurants over there to list but some of my favorites (appropriate for a first date) would be Brian's Pourhouse (crowded, loud), 3 Rivers Grill (just across the street from Brians), Horsefeathers (near the staircase), Sixth Street Bistro (easty to find), and of course Oak Street Brasserie (which looks a little questionable with the tiny staircase but it's quite good).  All of these are 'downtown'.

Hood River is 20 min West of The Dalles and it's probably your best bet.
Link Posted: 12/6/2009 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#6]
We need pics of said girl

Link Posted: 12/6/2009 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
There is an old gravel pit sort of place just off the hiway..........the locals us it for a shooting spot.  As for food and the rest........I have no idea.  But, your company is what counts.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#8]
If you do the Hood River switch, I'd also recommend Stonehedge Gardens. I've only been there for weddings, but the food is great and the grounds and surrounding woods make for a more romantic atmosphere . . . if you are looking for that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah going up the gravel road into the woods up to Stonehedge in the dark will make her a little scared.

Probably not a bad thing on a first date.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
maryhill winery?  or just park and spark.  that's usually the most fun anyway.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yeah going up the gravel road into the woods up to Stonehedge in the dark will make her a little scared.

Probably not a bad thing on a first date.

I missed the first date part

Hey OP - Pendleton to Bend is a fair distance, how did the two of you meet?

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Double mountain brewery has great pizza and you can get the sampler and it's sets a good tone to be drinking beer out of the same glasses ;) At least your swapping spit one way!
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are both libs you will love HR.

VM
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 9:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double mountain brewery has great pizza and you can get the sampler and it's sets a good tone to be drinking beer out of the same glasses ;) At least your swapping spit one way!

You are the second person to mention double mountains pizza in the last couple days. Will have to run to town and check it out.

I'm assuming the majority of the posters in said thread are Gorge residents? I'm thinking that a shoot needs to be done, as soon as this cold snap breaks. Freaking 0 degrees is crazyness.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Cape you know I'm in the Gorge but as for everyone else I never heard of any of them before.  Must be new guys or lukers that have emerged since 'the great purge' (?)

I'm up for a shoot.  Joe's quarry is probably under snow right now.  The only half-way reliable place would be the pit in TD.  When it gets back up to 40 deg, I'm in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#19]
send me an im when we get the details figured out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Im in at 40
Link Posted: 12/11/2009 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]
The three M's;

McDonalds, Movie and Motel

Slam, Bam, Thank you Mame!
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I guessed at what that means...

Quoted:

PIITB if all else fails

and then I googled it and found out I was right...  

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Go to Big Jims then Eddys Motel,both near the bridge.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cape you know I'm in the Gorge but as for everyone else I never heard of any of them before.  Must be new guys or lukers that have emerged since 'the great purge' (?)

I'm up for a shoot.  Joe's quarry is probably under snow right now.  The only half-way reliable place would be the pit in TD.  When it gets back up to 40 deg, I'm in.

Agreed!

I know a good place to shoot about 30 miles from the Dalles.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Yeah that was a nice pit....if the wind is down.  Even with the wind it was pretty sweet....
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#27]
How was your trip ?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#28]
The trip was great.

I'm glad to be back and away from those freaken muslims!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top