Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2008 5:18:40 PM EDT
Anyone know of any gunsmiths in East county?  Just looking for someone who can thread a barrel, and maybe check head space.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Slo
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Which east county?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I would take your rifle out to Rich's Gun shop before doing any business on the East side of Portland.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would take your rifle out to Rich's Gun shop before doing any business on the East side of Portland.

Ben there they seem to be good people.  Shop time was a little expensive I thought.

Tom Denal in Tumalo will thread a barrel for way less money if you can ship it to him an wait on it a bit or drop it off if you're traveling in that area.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ben there they seem to be good people.  Shop time was a little expensive I thought.

Tom Denal in Tumalo will thread a barrel for way less money if you can ship it to him an wait on it a bit or drop it off if you're traveling in that area.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Tom Novotny if it's a bolt gun, he is an old Mauser guy.......been around since dirt, but won't work on semi-autos......he goes way back, (503) 668-5061

I have had him do a trigger job, a head space job and a few pachmyr pads.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey...thanks for all the replies.  

East county - oops, should have been more specific - Multnomah county

Thought about Allison-Carey (sp?) , but heard they were not 'black' gun friendly?  So that pretty much answers the bolt gun question.

I had a post-ban barrel laying around and finally put it on a CMT upper and wanted to check head space without dropping $50 for gauges, and get the end of it threaded, too.  

I thought about Tornado, but it's a bit inconvenient getting out to Hills-burrito right now, too much over-time at work.  And I'm not sure if they do head space checks or not.

I read on here a while back that if the barrel is new (yes), the upper receiver is new (yes), and as long as I installed it correctly (I think?) then head space should be good to go.  But I think I'd like that warm and fuzzy feeling that knowing brings.

Anyways, thanks again for all the replies.  Much appreciated.

Slo
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:51:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one more idea......have you thought about calling Douglas Ridge?  Sometimes the guys there have all kinds of cool tools there, if not, they can definately head you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thought about Allison-Carey (sp?) , but heard they were not 'black' gun friendly?  So that pretty much answers the bolt gun question.

Slo

You are right, Allison-Carey will not touch anything that is not a hunting rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top