[#3]

Quoted:
German Absinth activates faster.

That is all.......

Good stuff.....try making your own.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
dosen't work from what I heard.
At least the flavor quality isn't there. I think thats why most people say say it tastes bad...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
dosen't work from what I heard.
At least the flavor quality isn't there. I think thats why most people say say it tastes bad...

I would agree with the flavor isn't the same.  Lot's of other stuff that taste much better to make though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That is all.......

Had some last weekend.. Kinda burned more than the one from Brasil did.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
We have had some of the commercial stuff in Czech.  It will get ya drunk, quick!  But that is it...
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is all.......

Had some last weekend.. Kinda burned more than the one from Brasil did.

Must have been the commercial "fake" stuff sold in the liquer stores.
Absinthe does't burn.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We have had some of the commercial stuff in Czech.  It will get ya drunk, quick!  But that is it...

Yup. Not even worth drinking.
Flavor is similar "licorice" but not nearly the same effect.

Fun Fact:Absinthe is illegal to sell in the USA. Not a "controlled substance" like meth or Weed.

Fun Fact #2: Germany allows 30 mg of the "good stuff" in the liqueur, all other countries in Europe allow 10 mgs.(including Switzerland the originator of Absinthe)
Most people think its from France.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't even begin to tell you how many of these threads I've crapped on with my facts, but I'll throw in my lot and politely suggest that people in this thread could benefit from a little more research. I'm sorry but some of these statements are simply not true.

www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=184&Itemid=137

Everything you ever wanted to know about Absinthe, but were afraid to ask.

BTW that link is the equivalent of www.gunfacts.info, all the information offered there has been researched and is historically and scientifically accurate. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but im only offering truth at face value, take it or leave it.

to coctailer, I can distill a bunch of anise with a 70deg grain based spirit, but unfortunately that does not make it absinthe, such is the case with most german brands. to appreciate a fine absinthe is not unlike a fine wine, to understand it, one must look at its history, and additionaly the processes involved in its manufacture.

I'll shut the hell up now... PRDUBI may or may not be along shortly to back up the claims I have made.

Oh and by the way, I'll offer anyone whos posted above me the opportunity to sample my collection of absinthe, provided they are willing to learn and seperate fact from fiction. PM me if any of you are interested. for coctailer, if you want to come down instead of shipping your barrel to me, that would be fine as well, just shoot me a pm.

Best,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Snip

Thanks for the link Chris.
So where do you get the good stuff?
30ppm thujone in Germany, does it exist?
That is what I was assuming was the norm.
I have had it in Italy, France, Austria, and Germany. I'm no expert, and don't mean to crap out a bunck of half-truths.
I know PRDUBI is well versed in the Absinthe arts. Now I realize you are. I would love to learn/taste what you  guys have to teach.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Snip

Thanks for the link Chris.
So where do you get the good stuff?
30ppm thujone in Germany, does it exist?
That is what I was assuming was the norm.
I have had it in Italy, France, Austria, and Germany. I'm no expert, and don't mean to crap out a bunck of half-truths.
I know PRDUBI is well versed in the Absinthe arts. Now I realize you are. I would love to learn/taste what you  guys have to teach.

These questions are best answered by the FAQ I linked to. Reading that would be a great start for anyone and everyone reading this. It isn't my intent to get down on anyone, but realize that I've made what is essentially the same couple of posts (like this) countless times, so it can be a little tiring, but necessary.

I developed an appreciation for the drink in '03 and have since sampled hundreds of varietals from many countries, it cost me quite a chunk of change to do this, so my hope is that I can offer you a coupon for 90% off of a learning curve.

If you like I'd be happy to give you the whole spiel verbally, its just too damn long to type.

Otherwise, please start with the FAQ, that site has a great forum with people who won't beat you up for being a newbie, many of whom I have personally met. I'll be happy to answer any remaining questions when we meet.

Oh one more thing, to save yourself a bruise or two, referring to it as Absinthe is phonetically and historically the correct term. Absinth is a name created by late 20th century marketing.

You can reach me via IM if you need to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 9:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Absinthe is legal in the US now since December of 2007.

I know several places you can get legal absinthe now.

The funny thing is that the people who made it legal could not find where in the law that said Absinthe was illegal. It's a really really stupid and funny story of our how government works.

One could apply this theory with our gun laws and easily and quite easily the lawyers that made Absinthe legal have told me in emails they can make MG's legal in the states for civilians also if they put a clean effort to the right people.

BEVMO

Kubler with shipping is 60 bucks for the best legal one.

There are people making it here in the states now also.

Is where I go for mines now.

My side order shade tree Absinthe supply business to various drinking places in Portland and several private citizens has come to an end.

That's not a problem and it was a fun business while it lasted for the last 10 years. Some clients still want me to supply them with stuff and thats fine, they got the money to burn and I get it for them.
I have well over 150 bottles of different kinds of Absinthe and all of it is usually doubles of another or mostly bootlegs and special editions which I will never open.

So far for me, the Un Emile and Kubler are the kinds ones to my soul and my current and steady girlfriend.

The only caveat is that the thujone level cannot be more than 10 mg per liter so its just like Europe with the tad stuff.

The worst absinthe in the world sorry to say comes from Czech and some from Germany.
I think those two countries need to go back together, it's hard enough to figure out who's Czech and who's German with all the German names flouting around in Czechia or Czechland.
They also need to smell some Alpine fresh air and learn to make Absinthe with quality like their Swiss brothers.

Way too much thujone and it makes you sick. Also just loads of alcohol and other crap that I can't figure it out what is in there.

BTW.....this is not the fake crap..all of this is LEGAL stuff the same you get in Europe without the stupid shipping that usually kills it.

There is a group buy going on for a bunch of people that are making the original RECIPE ABSINTHE house in New Orleans. Quite a nice flavor and its very very well made for American absinthe....the very first in over 97 years.

Anyways.....there aren't any stores in Oregon the BEVMO is the LIQUOR BARN of Commiefornia..and they SHIP STUPID FAST. I ordered mines on monday night and it came to me on Wednesday evening.

Checking they are out now but search around, there are places all over the internet that sell online in the states and they are in the states so the shipping is cheap.

ANOTHER UPDATE... USE GOOGLE SHOPPING AND IT WILL TELL YOU WHERE THEY ARE ONLINE.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
BEVMO

Kubler with shipping is 60 bucks for the best legal one.

Kubler is one of my faves! And $60 stateside for a 1ltr bottle is a bangup deal!

Here's a couple articles on thujone
www.feeverte.net/thujone.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone
www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1&Itemid=85

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top