Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 6:03:05 PM EDT
I am in wonderful Detroit this week (and next ).

Last night, a friend stating in the downtown Sheraton was woken up by hammering, banging, shouting screaming, sounds of running feet and a tackle just outside his door.

Seems an (ex) employee had kept a master key (card), and come back at night to visit one of the suites and rip the flat-screen TV off the wall.

Tonight we all met in a place just one block from my hotel, and from the Renaissance Center where GM have their world headquarters - it was recommended as having good ribs and stuff.

We were the only white faces in there. In itself that doesn't bother me particularly, but being followed in by a couple of heavily armed JBTs with jackets having "DPD Gang Squad" printed on the back did sort of take the shine off the place -- interesting to see one of the JTBs had a glock with the hand grips held on with a rubber band .

Anyway, the food there WAS good

I will be glad to be home....
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Detroit = Combat Zone.

Not quite as bad as East St. Louis, but they're both cesspools.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Another place I will never be visiting.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Another place I will never be visiting.

Hey cool!  Can I not go there with you?

Mark.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
... and besides the above, its f-in FREEZING here !!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Detroit is toast...it's best to to nuke it and start all over.

Make a huge parking space for something else.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Had to stay in Houston for a night a few years ago, since the airline canceled our connection.  They put us up in a Days Inn.  After we ate (around 11:00 pm) we came back to the back door.  It was not locked, and was the entrance to our hall.  About 5 of the doors had been kicked in at some point, and were now missing the deadbolts.  I didn't sleep all night, thinking someone was going to return in the same way.  That's why we live in rural Oregon!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#7]
The closest I have been to Detroit is watching Beverly Hills Cop.

Doesn't sound like a nice place to visit

What are you there for?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.... interesting to see one of the JTBs had a glock with the hand grips held on with a rubber band .

Never saw a glock with grips that were removable................

I was thinking a rubber slip-on like hogue?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#11]
A friend of mine worked a rotation in the ER in Detroit.  After that he decided there were only two people doing all the shooting... Some Mofo and Dat Bitch.... Not sure if they were ever apprehended
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#12]
A lot of older cops used to keep rubberbands on the grips as they made the gun easier to hold.  It is kind of an old fashioned hogue grip.

Were you carrying in Detroit?  I believe it is legal if you have an OR CCW.  MI accepts all other states permits.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you been to Fishbone's? I've only been there once but I remember the food being pretty good.

Too bad you can't go to Motor Lounge in Hamtramck. Not that I think it would be a place you would like, but they did have a decent cigar selection.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
If what I'm hearing in the property news is correct you can buy city lots for under 5000. I was thinkng that I could snap up some of those , buldoze and buildings to prevent parasitic colonization and sit on them for 10 or 15 years. Will that part of the country ever become fit for normal human occupation? I've never been there myself.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A lot of older cops used to keep rubberbands on the grips as they made the gun easier to hold.  It is kind of an old fashioned hogue grip.{/quote]

I have seen that - its usually a pretty good layer of rubber, this was just one rubber band looking for all the world like it was there to keep the bits together rather than as any sort of aid in gripping.

Were you carrying in Detroit?  I believe it is legal if you have an OR CCW.  MI accepts all other states permits.

I believe it is legal with an OR CHL. I have considered it, but I think the customers that I visit here (GM and Blue Cross Blue Shield) would get very upset if they found out - not that either has any real check, or asks. Plus it would mean having to check in at the counter and having to check a bag, and I do all that I can to avoid doing those normally.

Anyway, if I needed a gun here, I'm pretty certain that I could get one of those $50 full auto assault weapons that my friend Sarah insists are flooding the streets here.

It snowed today -- and its even COLDER!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Have you been to Fishbone's? I've only been there once but I remember the food being pretty good.

Too bad you can't go to Motor Lounge in Hamtramck. Not that I think it would be a place you would like, but they did have a decent cigar selection.

No, I havn't been to Fishbone's, but I have seen the ads for it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Anyway, if I needed a gun here, I'm pretty certain that I could get one of those $50 full auto assault weapons that my friend Sarah insists are flooding the streets here.

Grab me two of those while you're at it.   Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Been to Detroit a bunch of times (family about an hour away), it is indeed a shit hole, don't know that it's as bad as El Paso though.

And I whine about Salem.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:49:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Just keep telling yourself you're heading home soon.  That's what I do.

And I write this from a hotel room in Houston...
Link Posted: 12/6/2007 4:40:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Stuck at the bus station at o'dark:30 in Philly years ago, while on leave. I was almost too nervous to go outside and have a cigarette.  "Can I bum a smoke" "wanna buy some crack" Uhhhh, No Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top