Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 5:26:32 PM EDT
Who's used these things, are they worth the money, and where can I get them for .223?

Link
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
a friend of mine used something like that for his .223 not bought through cabelas but it said high power target but every shot passed clean thru.
I would say that if its not made of 3/4 inch 316 stainless it's not going to hold up to .223. either buy a cheap one (and at $99 that is pretty cheap) that you can eaisly weld more plate on as you destroy it or make sure the one you buy is up to the task.
What kind of warranty do they offer?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Who's used these things, are they worth the money, and where can I get them for .223?

Link

from what I've heard, the ones from cabela's are pretty poor quality.  the steel targets weren't tempered correctly (or at all) and break.

There are some out there for higher powered rifles, but they are quite a bit more expensive.
this is the first one that comes to mind.
If you have a little free time, some mechanical and electrical skills, you could make a nice one yourself.

I have kinda given up looking for self reseting targets, and just use steel targets.  it's pretty obvious when you hit one, and you don't have to reset them.

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
If anyone needs something to shoot at just drop me a line.  I can scrounge something from the recycle heap, burn it to size and weld a chain to it.  You just gotta swing by the pad and pick it up.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have used the one pictured.  It is for pistols though.  We shot 9MM and 44 amg at it with no troubles.  I also have the little spinner for .22

I would like to find one for .223 but I can always just weld some thicker plate onto it.  Also if you are having trouble with it going through the plate.  Stop using wolf or penetrator ammo.  That is why they dont want steel core bullets at PR.  It tears up the targets.

Darin
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
For rifles you're going to need AR500 armor plate. There's a guy at the gun show who sells some hanging AR500 targets and dueling trees for pistols.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 9:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
me and a friend made our own steel target at his work since he is the foreman of the machine shop and our other buddy is the swingshift team leader there too. we shot my panther .308 at it and held up pretty good. he has all sorts of metal/steel there since they make automotive parts and all sorts of machines, cnc,lathes, etc. didn't look pretty but it worked.

one of these days i'll have to go to the local shoots and bring it out for you guys to shoot at.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I am getting the one from mark La Rue.

I figure it is worth it just for the shill factor and giggle room.

It's an arm and a leg but its worth it.

Better than punching paper targets...and at least it reacts.

I fired at one down south and it was loads of fun.

You shoot it and then it pops back up.....like a zombie...

it was hard also......at various ranges.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top