Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/21/2007 4:34:53 PM EDT
Hey guys I just got tickets in for the Golden Compass Screening that will be at the Lloyd Center mall on December 3rd at 7pm

Tickets are free just e-mail me at [email protected] and let me know your screen name and how many will be going up to 6 people.

For those of you waiting on I AM Legend tickets I should have them in Friday or early next week. I will send you a confirmation e-mail once I get them in.

Enjoy,

RA
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
never mind... RIF
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've heard and read, the kids kill God at the end of the movie.  Why the hell would anybody want to go see that and, more importantly, why the hell would anyone want their child to see it?  Haven't they (government, hollywood, et al) done enough to screw up our kids?  Gimme a break.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
From what I've heard and read, the kids kill God at the end of the movie.  Why the hell would anybody want to go see that and, more importantly, why the hell would anyone want their child to see it?  Haven't they (government, hollywood, et al) done enough to screw up our kids?  Gimme a break.  

maybe not everybody likes god?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The movie is being pitched to kids.  It's just one more example of the seculars trying to take God out of everything.  God was the reason this county was founded.  They left England to escape religious persecution.  Now they want to negate the very reason for our being.  Why does the rights of the few (secularists) outweigh the rights of the majority?  Like Him or not, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Him.  That deserves a certain amount of respect.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The golden compass on snopes

here's the snopes for you all...

ETA: following my own advise
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The golden compASS on snopes

here's the snopes for you all...

Thanks CK, that makes my point exactly.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The books were fantastic.  I'm not sure if I can make it to this screening but I think the movies should be great.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The movie is being pitched to kids.  It's just one more example of the seculars trying to take God out of everything.  God was the reason this county was founded.  They left England to escape religious persecution.  Now they want to negate the very reason for our being.  Why does the rights of the few (secularists) outweigh the rights of the majority?  Like Him or not, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for Him.  That deserves a certain amount of respect.

That is the most retarded thing I have ever read. You basically just said that our ancestors left england to escape religious persecution but now you are trying to persecute atheists for their non-belief?

Seriously....Its a movie.

Fantasy. Kind of like the bible.

If you honestly think that people can not enjoy it for what it is, a movie, without bringing religion into it then you are mistaken. The only people even bringing up the atheist aspects are the church.

Religious people have been pushing beliefs on mankind forever.

"Christianity started out in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America and became an enterprise." Sam Pascoe
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The books were fantastic.  I'm not sure if I can make it to this screening but I think the movies should be great.

Before long it'll be...
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the most retarded thing I have ever read. You basically just said that our ancestors left england to escape religious persecution but now you are trying to persecute atheists for their non-belief?

If you honestly think that people can not enjoy it for what it is, a movie, without bringing religion into it then you are mistaken. The only people even bringing up the atheist aspects are the church.

"Christianity started out in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America and became an enterprise." Sam Pascoe

I agree
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#11]
not my cup of tea, prefer LEGEND than that piece of shit.

The guy mouths off left and right about shit and bashes anything that resembles religion.

Fuck him
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before long it'll be...

You don't think people that don't have a belief deserve a voice?  The right to share their views?  THAT is a threat to our country and what it stands for if you ask me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you do realize that movies are make believe right?

as far as this country being founded because of god, that's your opinion.

I must apologize, I forgot about the religion hot-button, prolly should've kept it to myself.

The interwebs isn't the place to discuss such matters.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before long it'll be...

You don't think people that don't have a belief deserve a voice?  The right to share their views?  THAT is a threat to our country and what it stands for if you ask me.

+1 well said

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:  That is the most retarded thing I have ever read. You basically just said that our ancestors left england to escape religious persecution but now you are trying to persecute atheists for their non-belief?

I think we found a "secular progressive"/atheist.

I'm not persecuting athiests; I'm just recommending people not financially support their amoral agenda.

The Bible a fantasy?  Somebody's been drinking the cool-aid again.  It takes more religious faith to believe Darwin than it does to believe in God & Jesus.  Just what do you think went "BANG"!  Hell, when he died, Darwin didn't even believe the crap he had told people years before; that FACT got ZERO press.  

Adults can discern the difference between movies and real life, kids cannot.  That's why parents are supposed to screen this crap for our kids.  

As for Pascoe, pretty much any bonehead can come up with a nonsensical quote.  You need to go back and bone up on your theology.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:  That is the most retarded thing I have ever read. You basically just said that our ancestors left england to escape religious persecution but now you are trying to persecute atheists for their non-belief?

snip...
I'm not persecuting athiests; I'm just recommending people not financially support their amoral agenda.

Oh i get it. Athiests have no morals.

Can you see us all from your high horse?

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think we found a "secular progressive"/atheist.

The Bible a fantasy?  Somebody's been drinking the cool-aid again.  It takes more religious faith to believe Darwin than it does to believe in God & Jesus.  Just what do you think went "BANG"!  Hell, when he died, Darwin didn't even believe the crap he had told people years before; that FACT got ZERO press.  

Adults can discern the difference between movies and real life, kids cannot.  That's why parents are supposed to screen this crap for our kids.  

As for Pascoe, pretty much any bonehead can come up with a nonsensical quote.  You need to go back and bone up on your theology.

The bottom line is people have the right to believe or not believe in whatever they want.  

There is not "moral" or "good"
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:You don't think people that don't have a belief deserve a voice?  The right to share their views?  THAT is a threat to our country and what it stands for if you ask me.

The fatal flaw in your statement is that athiests don't have a belief...they do believe something.  They believe there is no God.  That is a believe system.  They offer no objective evidence to validate that belief system, so it is therefore considered a cult.  

They deserve a voice, but that voice should be no louder than anyone elses.  Unfortunately, the courts have prostituted the intent of the founding fathers so that the will of the one outweighs the will of the many.  

I am just chosing to advocate that people not subject impressionable children with that kind of dribble.  If adults want to piss away $20 to go see a piece of fiction, have at it!  But, don't abuse your child's mind with that crap then get pissed when they question your authority as parents.

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I tried to not post... I really tried...

Someone could go the same way about that other "religious but not really religious fantasy movie targeted at kids".

From what I've heard and read, the kids kill God at the end of the movie lion is supposed to be Jesus or someone. Why the hell would anybody want to go see that and, more importantly, why the hell would anyone want their child to see it? Haven't they (government, hollywood, et al organized religions) done enough to screw up our kids? Gimme a break.

Fixed it for ya.

If you don't want to support someone's agenda with your dollars, don't.
If you want to try to convince other people not to go, have at it.
Those are the things that this country stands for: the freedom to not do what other people think you must.

But don't ever tell me that I am amoral just because I don't believe in your particular deity.  I guarantee you that my morals and ethics stand shoulder to shoulder with any other upstanding, honest member of our society.

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:You don't think people that don't have a belief deserve a voice?  The right to share their views?  THAT is a threat to our country and what it stands for if you ask me.

The fatal flaw in your statement is that athiests don't have a belief...they do believe something.  They believe there is no God.  That is a believe system.  They offer no objective evidence to validate that belief system, so it is therefore considered a cult.  

They deserve a voice, but that voice should be no louder than anyone elses.  Unfortunately, the courts have prostituted the intent of the founding fathers so that the will of the one outweighs the will of the many.  

I am just chosing to advocate that people not subject impressionable children with that kind of dribble.  If adults want to piss away $20 to go see a piece of fiction, have at it!  But, don't abuse your child's mind with that crap then get pissed when they question your authority as parents.

Who's voice is louder than the Christians?  We ARE a Christian nation.  People with no believe are persecuted by those that believe.  They are the minority.

Proof.  What is with proof?

What proof do Christians have that god exists?  It is all BELIEF.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Dude, if the only reason your kids respect your authority as a parent is because they are afraid of god you already have problems. I mean WTF, grow a pair would you.

And in regards to loud voices who are you trying to kid? The religious "nuts" such as your self have had the loudest voice ever. Grow the fuck up.

ETA: missing words
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm sorry, did you just say that THEY offer no objective evidence? Other than the bible, which could have been written by anyone, and was, what kind of objective evidence does faith give you?

Faith is subjective evidence. Subjective evidence is all that religion and atheism have to offer.

By your definition that would make Christianity a cult as well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:The bottom line is people have the right to believe or not believe in whatever they want.

True.  Children, however, are not free to make that choice and have to rely on their parents for moral guidance.  

Quoted:There is not "moral" or "good".

Don't confuse "amoral" with "immoral".  "Amoral" means a person has no morals.  No one is "amoral".  Everyone has morals (i.e. a sense of right and wrong).  Do you steal?  How about murder?  Of course not.  There is good and there is bad, or are all pedophiles just misunderstood?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Aggh... I can't resist it (must be my weak atheist will).

Last time I checked, no religion provides objective evidence for the existence of any god.  If they did then the argument would be long over.  If the lack of such evidence is the indicator of a cult (it is not) then all religions would be considered a cult.  And you are right, a true atheist does believe that there are no gods.  Make sure you correct others when they disparage atheists for not having any beliefs.

And considering atheism to be child abuse?  That's beyond the pale.  It's also quite myopic to believe that the lack of a god belief will automatically make a child fight authority.  Let's check back in 15 years and see how my kids are.  I am quite confident that they will respect (and appropriately question) authority.

Please try to talk to some people of other beliefs before you just start attacking them.  I'll even buy the first round if you want.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Don't confuse "amoral" with "immoral".  "Amoral" means a person has no morals.  No one is "amoral".  Everyone has morals (i.e. a sense of right and wrong).  Do you steal?  How about murder?  Of course not.  There is good and there is bad, or are all pedophiles just misunderstood?

Again, WTF does god have to do with that?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#26]
<-- Owns page 2 of this

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:I'm sorry, did you just say that THEY offer no objective evidence? Other than the bible, which could have been written by anyone, and was, what kind of objective evidence does faith give you?

Faith is subjective evidence. Subjective evidence is all that religion and atheism have to offer.

Archeology supports the tenants of the Bible.  Read "The Case for Christ"  and "The Case for a Creator", both by Lee Strobel.  There is more scientific evidence supporting the existance of God and Jesus than there is scientific evidence to disprove their existance.

But, believe what you want.  It's a free country.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Personally, we live in a free country and the 1st Amendment applies to ALL POINTS OF VIEW.  I have the right to believe that the movie sucks because I read all the books and I disagree with a book that tells a story about these kids who need to sleep with someone / something to save the world and kill "the bad angel".

Converseley, NO ONE has the right to tell someone is "wrong" for wanting to watch a movie or trashtalk someone who is being nice enough to offer us passes to these movies for FREE.  

This is my .02 and I am a nobody here, however I believe that there needs to be some form of mutual respect for everyone on this board, NO MATTER WHAT THEIR BELIEFS ARE!!![/soapbox]

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys. I know I'm not a mod and all, but I think Sungod was just asking if people wanted tickets here.

I'd suggest moving this rather entertaining discussion to GD or someplace other than this thread.

Can't we all just get along?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#30]
It is scientifically impossible to prove that God does not exist.

The fact does not prove He exists either.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:The bottom line is people have the right to believe or not believe in whatever they want.

True.  Children, however, are not free to make that choice and have to rely on their parents for moral guidance.  

Quoted:There is not "moral" or "good".

Yes, they do.  Kids can grow up completely moral without the existence of god in their lives.

The issue I brought up with morals is that there is not such thing as good and bad.  It is all culture.  People can raise kids without a religious belief and still be moral in this society.  Not believing in a god does not make someone immoral.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You don't agree that God's rules ("The 10 Commandments") are the basis for a moral life?  Forget who authored them, and forget they are called the 10 Commandments, call them 10 things to do for a better society, are they not sound morals to live a life by?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Thanks for clarifying that for someone that may have missed the difference.  It is very important.

So if an atheist believes that stealing is wrong or that murder is wrong, that means they have some moral beliefs.  But if they do then they can't be amoral.  If they are not amoral then how are they pushing an amoral agenda?  I don't need an answer, just pointing out some weaknesses in your argument that could afford to be cleaned up.

As an aside, here's my take on it: morals stem from society, from people.  Religious writings like the Bible didn't create any morals but rather have codified those morals that existed at the various times of their writings.  All reasonable (vague word there) societies will create some number of morals that look a lot alike (theft and murders are crimes, etc.).  The deistic tendencies of those societies may shape and bend those morals but there will always be a common theme amongst all those societies.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Hey guys. I know I'm not a mod and all, but I think Sungod was just asking if people wanted tickets here.

I'd suggest moving this rather entertaining discussion to GD or someplace other than this thread.

Agreed. this is pointless, we are all adults make your own decisions, so if you want tickets e-mail me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:I'm sorry, did you just say that THEY offer no objective evidence? Other than the bible, which could have been written by anyone, and was, what kind of objective evidence does faith give you?

Archeology supports the tenants of the Bible.  Read "The Case for Christ"  and "The Case for a Creator", both by Lee Strobel.  There is more scientific evidence supporting the existance of God and Jesus than there is scientific evidence to disprove their existance.

But, believe what you want.  It's a free country.

Archeology onlys supports the notion that someone named Jesus may have existed at some point in time. the rest is all personal opinion.

You fail sir, try again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I have the right to believe that the movie sucks because I read all the books and I disagree with a book that tells a story about these kids who need to sleep with someone / something to save the world and kill "the bad angel".

No shit?!   Dude, that is straight out of Stephen King's It!

Freaky.  Wonder who did it first...

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Think of it as free advertising
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't agree that God's rules ("The 10 Commandments") are the basis for a moral life?  Forget who authored them, and forget they are called the 10 Commandments, call them 10 things to do for a better society, are they not sound morals to live a life by?

*sigh* Moses could have made that shit up himself while he was up on that mountain.  Doesn't mean they're not a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<-- Owns page 2 of this

www.floridatoday.com/blogs/talktome/uploaded_images/train_wreck-782867.jpg

ahahaha

yeah that was a good one

+10
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<-- Owns page 2 of this

www.floridatoday.com/blogs/talktome/uploaded_images/train_wreck-782867.jpg

ahahaha

Yeah, I'm stealing that image.  

Crap, there goes those morals again.....  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 7:59:21 PM EDT
[#42]
seriously guys, you've all highjacked SUNGOD-RA's thread for this argument.  This shit aint right -no matter what side you are on- because he's being nice enough to offer us free tickets and half of this argument has crapped on him for doing it.

Yes, I supplied the snopes link to clarify the movie and what it's about, but that does not mean people should be shitting all over his thread for doing something nice.  He does'nt have to offer us this stuff guys.  If you dont want to see the movie, dont watch it...
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I have not even seen a trailer for this.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
seriously guys, you've all highjacked SUNGOD-RA's thread for this argument.  This shit aint right -no matter what side you are on- because he's being nice enough to offer us free tickets and half of this argument has crapped on him for doing it.

Yes, I supplied the snopes link to clarify the movie and what it's about, but that does not mean people should be shitting all over his thread for doing something nice.  He does'nt have to offer us this stuff guys.  If you dont want to see the movie, dont watch it...

Dude he totally joined in!  
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Man, ain't you the party pooper.

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Looks kinda cool, but Dunno if I would like it being it's a kids movie and stuff.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thegoldencompass/
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.apple.com/trailers/newline/thegoldencompass/

OH ok.  I have seen that.

That really doesn't look bad!

If there something in it to where the directly talk about "kiling god" or is it just implied?

If implied it doesn't seem like a kid would even notice. looks like a...

"no holds bar adrenaline thrill ride"

Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#50]
I WANT TICKETS!!!

especially after reading this thread, I gotta see the movie now!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top