Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2007 11:25:00 PM EDT
I applied for a job in Roseburg a while back...turns out I was the number 1 external candidate for the job but the VA hired someone from within the department.

So, an opening just came up in Corvallis that I'm applying for.

What can you guys tell me about the area? All I really know about it is from driving through on I-5.

How's the housing market up there?
Are the liberal retards as numerous as they are down here in Medford?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How's the housing market up there?

Kinda spendy.

Corvallis is a very white-collar community. Biggest thing happening is frat parties.

All in all a wonderful little community (about 50,000 souls), very neat, clean and safe  with left leaning politics and higher home prices.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Woot frat parties, I would party with you
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I painted a few frats up there, should be good for an invite? It's only about 40 minutes from eugen and 15 from albany.

Justin and I will come visit, eh Justin?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I painted a few frats up there, should be good for an invite? It's only about 40 minutes from eugen and 15 from albany.

I dunno where your at but im in Albany
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:49:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been living in Corvallis for about a month now for school, it's quite a nice little town.

Really close to some good hunting and shooting areas too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Fantastic hunting and fishing opportunities. Way more libs than Medford, but I think that makes it kinda fun. Relatively low crime. Property taxes are some of the highest in the state (Philomath too).
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
this'll be my 4th year at OSU.
Summers are pretty nice, hardly any traffic.
When school starts is when you have to watch out.  Lots of freshman who are on their own for the first time, and to make matters worse:  most of them have cars.  Watch out for the poorly modded hondas, brand new VW, BMW, and Mercedes'.  these are the freshman, and sorrority girls.  None of them know how to drive.  It's quite sad really, a four way stop is some kind of puzzle to them.

housing is kind of expensive, but it gets more reasonable the farther from campus you get.  there is tons of new housing going up in the south part of town.  lots of golf courses, TONS of police, but not to worry, they are only looking for drunk students.

there is a very nice gun shop in Philomath, just a few miles away.

the College is pretty conservative, but the rest of the town is fairly liberal.  I don't notice it much though... nowhere near as hippy as Eugene.

Overall it's a pretty nice little town. not too big, not too small.

and you can count me in on the shooting group too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Almost can't wait till next year...
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#9]
As mentioned above, convieniently close to Philomath.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a house for rent in Corvallis.  The housing market there is on the high side, but you get a nice place to live and cheap beer and hot girls.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:31:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a house for rent in Corvallis.  The housing market there is on the high side, but you get a nice place to live and cheap beer and hot girls.

You should rent it out to engineering students...

ETA:  For really cheap...
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno where your at but im in Albany

I'm in Eugene, but I got a car that get's 35 mpg, so I'm up for the drive!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been living in Philomath for almost 4 years now running the NAPA here, and its been a pretty good place to live. Rent is a little more reasonable than in Corvallis, the gun shop is here, and just a 20-30 minute drive West is some great shooting, hunting, and fishing territory. I used to live in SouthTown Corvallis.....not the best area to live in. North and West of town it gets better. Halfway between, in the 53rd St. area is a TON of new apartments popping up.

I've recently scouted some new shoting spots, which a few other OHT's have used my directions to find, and soon hopefully (yep, jrucker2004 and whomever else) I might be taking a few more up there so they know the way. There's also ABG in SouthTown, very AR friendly and usually at the Albany gun show, and Desert Rat Surplus (moving soon to SouthTown, next to Fred's Honda) Tim(owner) and Geoff are good guys. Come on up, we'll help ya out!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in Salem and work in Corvallis.  I only see town during the day, and usually only at lunch time.  There are tons of nice restaurants, but few are 'chain dining' types.

I think housing is expensive in Corvallis, which is why I live in Salem.  My house was 25 - 30% cheaper than Corvallis or North Albany.

The town seems to have lots of nice areas, and downtown is very pedestrian friendly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
...idiot drivers...

...housing...cops

the College is pretty conservative, but the rest of the town is fairly liberal.  I don't notice it much though... nowhere near as hippy as Eugene.

+1

Third year at OSU, and I love it here.  Close to the woods to go shoot, hunt, fish, or just goof off.  About an hour, hour fifteen to the coast, and the town is friendly.  The further from campus you are, the cheaper it is, and the fewer drunk greek idiots will wander through.  

The only thing that I really dislike about the town is the number of DUIs you read about each week.  I suppose that there is no getting around that in a college town, though.

Drop me an IM if you pass through town.  I'm always up to slip out and go shoot, or something.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the info guys!

If things work out I should be up there by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...idiot drivers...

...housing...cops

+1

Third year at OSU, and I love it here.  Close to the woods to go shoot, hunt, fish, or just goof off.  About an hour, hour fifteen to the coast, and the town is friendly.  The further from campus you are, the cheaper it is, and the fewer drunk greek idiots will wander through.  

The only thing that I really dislike about the town is the number of DUIs you read about each week.  I suppose that there is no getting around that in a college town, though.

Drop me an IM if you pass through town.  I'm always up to slip out and go shoot, or something.  

Barring any sort of catastrophe, I will be there next year as an engineering transfer student.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Albany, and its not too bad.  If I had the money I would have bought in Corvallis, that's where I'm from.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]
So many people in Corvallis, we'll see ya'll at Speed Steel, right.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So many people in Corvallis, we'll see ya'll at Speed Steel, right.

You would dominate me
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Sssshhhhhhhh!

Yer not supposed to be saying stuff like that here.
...oh, you meant Speed Steel.

I'm not that good, just there to have fun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Corvallis is a great family town. Just don't read the paper, it will make your blood boil.

Housing prices are similar to Portland and Bend but are dropping. Most people buy a home out of town and drive in for work.

Our liberals have a bit of money so they don't look like hippies as in Eugene where they have an abundance of all kinds.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Barring any sort of catastrophe, I will be there next year as an engineering transfer student.

Look me up next year when you make it out.  I just graduated as an ME, and might be looking for a roomate, although I'm never there.  I like Corvallis, lots to do for younger (bar age) people and it's relatively safe, hardly any homeless people around town too.  I don't mind the paper, but then I grew up in Eugene reading that POS.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look me up next year when you make it out.  I just graduated as an ME, and might be looking for a roomate, although I'm never there.  I like Corvallis, lots to do for younger (bar age) people and it's relatively safe, hardly any homeless people around town too.  I don't mind the paper, but then I grew up in Eugene reading that POS.

Will do.  That would solve a huge pending problem.  I could only imagine asking people off CraigsList how they feel about guns...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:32:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do.  That would solve a huge pending problem.  I could only imagine asking people off CraigsList how they feel about guns...

Which is exactly the reason I don't have a roomie, which is sad, I'm home from 1-2 days a week.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GEEKS make for good renters

I'll wait to hear what type of Engineering before I stamp him a geek.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top