Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2007 1:29:45 PM EDT
Have any other TCGC members received the packet of new rules from the club?

New rule (#10) for the General Purpose range says that when 5 or more shooters are on the range, Cease Fires will only be called on the hour and half hour in order to not interrupt shooting.

I don't know about you, but I feel like I spend more time waiting for a cease fire than I am interrupted by them.  this rule seems quite rigid.

What say you?  Is this an improvement?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I received that packet, too.  I did not have the old rules handy to see what the differences were.

I sometimes feel I have to wait a long time just to get a cease fire so I can put my target up.  I've never felt as though I was constantly interrupted by cease fires.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The new and/or revised rules are in bold font in the packet.

I guess I will have to schedule my trip to the club to coincide with when I can get a cease fire.  I'm not going to wait that long to put up/take down my target.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The new and/or revised rules are in bold font in the packet.

I guess I will have to schedule my trip to the club to coincide with when I can get a cease fire.  I'm not going to wait that long to put up/take down my target.

+1

I also looked (very quick scan, so I may have missed it) for any range rule about things on the end of barrels, and where you can shoot if you have them.

I didn't see anything.
So presumably we can tell ROs who try to enforce an unwritten rule, to go look at the new rule set?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure why people complain?

I take my targets in first, get them all stapled up and ready to go.

Then it takes a fair bit of time to get my stuff from the car (two trips usually), get it unpacked, setup the spotter, put my chamber flag in, load a mag, get my notebook out.

I'm never waiting more than 10 minutes or so.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Then it takes a fair bit of time to get my stuff from the car (two trips usually), get it unpacked, setup the spotter, put my chamber flag in, load a mag, get my notebook out.

Agreed - on all but the last part.
You have obviously never had some of the shooters that I have, with everyone (-1) standing back from the firing line, target boards in hand, waiting, and waiting... and waiting...

I think the 30 minute rule will actually be more of an inconvenience to these guys than to the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, its starting to sound like California up there. Whats with that range, seems like theres a thread here every week about some BS going on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Yea WTF - I just joined and found out that I can't shoot in the action range until I take some class, and the damn class if full for the rest of the year. Why did I even sign up? I hope the tangos stand still at 300 yards at parade rest while I take out my range flag and don't 'rapid fire' shoot them. I don't know if anyone here can take my complaints higher, but the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was for self-defense, not hunting or seeing how many holes can touch each other on an unmoving piece of paper.

And if you ever point your muzzle to the sky or tell someone too, you're an idiot. Think about it - if someone loses positive control of a firearm while the barrel is pointing up, it will have to flag the elevation of a human being. Pointing the rifle down just flags the dirt.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
This is why I'm glad I have access to many acres, just for helping out with hay. When we shoot there are just a couple of us, and we make the rules. Suits me much better than trying to satisfy the majority.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
all i can say is CVSC.  my wife and I had the rifle range all to ourselves the other night and it was great.  got some good shooting in and no one around.  I am really beginning to love that place.  Oh wait, no, CVSC is horrible stay away.  Its full of californians and puppy kickers.  all of your guns will burst into flames and grow hair on their palms if you go there.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
ARPC rocks
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have obviously never had some of the shooters that I have, with everyone (-1) standing back from the firing line, target boards in hand, waiting, and waiting... and waiting...

I think the 30 minute rule will actually be more of an inconvenience to these guys than to the rest of us.

Do you ask the "1" left if you can have a cease fire?

Today I helped BSW verify zero on his M1 carbine. Walked in, asked a couple of the guys to do a cease fire. I got the answers, "let me finish these 3 shots" and the last guy had 5 left.

Cease fire, place target.

Then we were running close to walkthrough time for PR. I asked one of the guys that if he didn't mine, could he pull our target when he got his. He said no problem.

Dunno....works for me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]
TCGC Creed:If it ain't broke make more rules till it is, then make some more rules to fix it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#13]
After about 8 or 9 years membership at TCGC, this BS is really getting old.  Every
year, more and more BS rules.  The last time out there, the fat-ass range master
was an out and out prick to me in response to my Practical Rifle shirt.  It's only a matter
of time when I break one these rules, go ballistic and lose my membership....

Spambo
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you ask the "1" left if you can have a cease fire?

Today I helped BSW verify zero on his M1 carbine. Walked in, asked a couple of the guys to do a cease fire. I got the answers, "let me finish these 3 shots" and the last guy had 5 left.

Cease fire, place target.

Then we were running close to walkthrough time for PR. I asked one of the guys that if he didn't mine, could he pull our target when he got his. He said no problem.

Dunno....works for me.

Yeah ... a polite request usually gets <whoever> to finish off within a few minutes.
On the other hand, there have been a few times, and one in particular where the guy had his stuff set up, and was going to test out all his handload sequences, without any interruption, come hell or highwater.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
This does not sound like a bad idea to me.

Set up targets on the hour. It takes 5-10 minutes to complete the ceasefire. Shoot 20 minutes. Ceasefire on the half hour for another 5-10 minutes, then 20 minutes of shooting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 1:25:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Like the rest of you, I just renewed my membership but it becoming more and more of a hassle.  I wure would love to shoot my pistol at closer than 25 yards.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like what we need is an arfcom afternoon where those of us who are IPSC qual'd can cover the others.

Would anyone be up for that?

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Like the rest of you, I just renewed my membership but it becoming more and more of a hassle.  I wure would love to shoot my pistol at closer than 25 yards.

The action pistol pits require a certification for safety.

It is the only range that allows drawing from a holster.

As a result, this is for insurance/liability purposes and to make sure that you know enough to not accidentally shoot yourself while on TCGC property.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sounds like what we need is an arfcom afternoon where those of us who are IPSC qual'd can cover the others.

Cheers

Rules are that only one guest can shoot at a time. If you get a lot of people there behind you, there WILL be an RSO presence to watch over you. Trust me on this.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Rules are that only one guest can shoot at a time. If you get a lot of people there behind you, there WILL be an RSO presence to watch over you. Trust me on this.

RSO's are always welcome - another pair of eyes to increase safety - what's not to love? It happens fairly often when I take my son and wife to shoot, or when I take newbies for their first time. I just make sure I'm not wearing a visible holster or firearm on the range, and my IPSC sticker is proudly visible, and so far everything has been great with RO's. This year I've taken about seven (not all at the same time) "never shot a gun in my life" types to the pits to safely experience plinking at 7 yards with a .22, 9mm and 357. If I couldn't take them to the pits, I'm not sure where I could give such a good introduction that is enjoyable.

The new rules require one qualified shooter to supervise one visitor shooting at a time but do not limit the number of visitors hosted by a member except for the general range rule of five.

I would think that between the members here, we'd have enough IPSC qualified members to achieve a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio which would be fine for running an informal practice shoot where we actually have a course of fire to practice.

What say you all?

Cheers

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Well... life would be a lot easier if you took them to the CVSC range....
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I haven't gone to TCGC in over 8 months.

It's becoming a real pile.

But I need a place to sight in my rifles a few times a year.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This does not sound like a bad idea to me.

Set up targets on the hour. It takes 5-10 minutes to complete the ceasefire. Shoot 20 minutes. Ceasefire on the half hour for another 5-10 minutes, then 20 minutes of shooting.

Agreed.  Like it was already mentioned, I'll now schedule when I leave for the range to coincide with the cold range.  

I now know I'll get a solid 20-25 minutes of shooting without someone tapping me on the shoulder or yelling in my ear requesting a cold range (or having to do the same to get one).
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#24]
We had a similar rule at my old club, but  the cease fire was every 15 minutes (and it was on a clock).  The only real big hassle is if you get there just after the cease fire...then you have to keep yourself busy until the next one.  If you're in a hurry (e.g. you just want to sight in a rifle and go) it can be a little frustrating.

Still, I found it wasn't a big deal at TCGC just to ask the Fudds other shooters if we could call a cease fire.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Cheers

I'm IPSC qual'd and would be more than happy to accomodate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top