Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2007 4:46:07 PM EDT
I am new to the forum and looking to buy my first AK. So far I have curbed the impulse to save money and just by a WASR-10. I looked at a couple of Vectors the other day and was wondering about their reputation. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not own a Vector, but they do have a good reputation.  Save a few extra bones and get what you really wan't.  

Most of us have made the mistake of buying what we can afford now, and regret it later (IE sell it for a loss, or deal with the PITA).  I have heard that some of the WASR-10's have had some issues since they were neutered, and given there manhood back.

There are quite a few great AK's out there, so do your homework, and save up for the one you wan't.  

Welcome to the Oregon HTF.  Be sure to make it out to the next shoot later this month.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Vector UF and it's a very nice rifle and thinking about getting the regular rifle in wood furniture. Also heard a lot of good reviews about Lancaster AK's which is price the same as Vector. Check the AK-47 forum.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I have been reading the forums and other sites for a while now learning (at least on paper) about the different AK variants. I have the money for the Vector and have checked out a couple that looked really nice, but haven't found alot online about how people like them. I will check out the Lancaster as well. Thanks again.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The big issue to find out with all these newbie assembly companies is if the receivers are whole head treated or spot heat treated.  The commie world heat treats the entire receiver. The U.S. baboon and monkey school of gun assembly decided that was overkill and spot heat treated the receivers at perceived stress spots such as rivet locations. As the years pass and round counts climb those receivers are starting to fail.

That’s one of the reasons the Arsenal Inc (of Las Vegas) AK has a better rep. They follow in the footsteps of the commie engineers and heat treat the whole receiver.

I don’t know what Vector does, but it would be best to find out by asking rather than high round counts later.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#5]
...I'm saving up my pennies for an Arsenal AK.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The big issue to find out with all these newbie assembly companies is if the receivers are whole head treated or spot heat treated.  The commie world heat treats the entire receiver. The U.S. baboon and monkey school of gun assembly decided that was overkill and spot heat treated the receivers at perceived stress spots such as rivet locations. As the years pass and round counts climb those receivers are starting to fail.

That’s one of the reasons the Arsenal Inc (of Las Vegas) AK has a better rep. They follow in the footsteps of the commie engineers and heat treat the whole receiver.

I don’t know what Vector does, but it would be best to find out by asking rather than high round counts later.

You hit it right on the head Tango!  Some say that there is no reason to heat treat the entire lower receiver, but it is the American way to save a few bucks.  

I do not own an AK variant that sports a US receiver for this reason.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Being said about American made AK receiver, who in here actually had their receiver go bad because it was not completely heat treated?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Being said about American made AK receiver, who in here actually had their receiver go bad because it was not completely heat treated?

I doubt that anyone would have many issues with their AK receivers this early on since we have not been producing them for long.  The only thing the COMBLOCK countries did well was make AK-47's back in the day, so why are US companies not building their receivers to the same specs?

I am not saying that the US made receivers are crap.  They have not been producing them long enough to have perfected them.  

I'll stick with the ian's!  Bulgarians, Hungarians, etc.  OK the Chineese are not ian's, but very worthy.  You get the picture.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate everyone's imput. I emailed Vector and asked about the receivers. I will post their answer when I get it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top