Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2006 12:23:06 PM EDT
So I just cancelled Comcast and told them they suck ass.

I am moving to a new house in Beaverton.  I want fast internet.  What are my options?  Who is offering the fiberoptic shit?

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Qwest Choice™ DSL Premier with MSN® Premium
Up to 7Mbps download/
Up to 896Kbps upload

Up to 125 times faster than 56Kbps dial-up.

$37 a month for life if bundled with other quest services......

sounds good....is that fast?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good but I got mine for 25 dollars a month for life when bundled with other services.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running verizon FIOS and its pretty damn fast.

Mark.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Verizon is the LEC in most of Beaverton (unless you're RIGHT by downtown Portland), so Qwest is not an option for you.  Verizon offers a fiber optic service, but you'll need to verify you're within their service footprint.  www22.verizon.com/FiOSForHome/channels/FiOS/root/address_entry.asp
$39.95 -     5Mb Down/2Mb Up
$49.95 -   15Mb Down/2Mb Up
$179.95 - 30Mb Down/5Mb Up
Otherwise, Comcast is your only other major alternative.  You may find that if you're having service issues with Comcast at your old house, those issues may not be present at the new house.  On the other hand, they could be worse.  

Where's the new place?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Where's the new place?

Sexton Mountain/Murry Hill
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sounds good but I got mine for 25 dollars a month for life when bundled with other services.

Thats for the slower upload one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Moving from Cable to DSL is tough. I've done it twice now and I really dislike the DSL speeds I have recieved. I do agree though that Comcast is "hte suck" with regards to pricing.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Where's the new place?

Sexton Mountain/Murry Hill

Definitely Verizon then.  Did you plug your new address into the link I posted?

$49.95 for 15Mb would be a great value.

The other big benefit with FiOS, as with Comcast, is that you don't have to pay for a phone line like you do with DSL.  The cheap DSL plans you see are in addition to a phone line, which would run you $25-$50/mo. more.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I just called Verizon....

Their website says it's not available when I plug in the address....but when I called them....they said it WAS available!

so 15/2....that's 15mb Download speed????
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
15Mb Download and 2Mb Upload.  They're sold as "up to", not guaranteed speeds, but you can bet it will stomp all over the Comcast connection you're leaving.

I wonder why the address didn't validate on their site.  New construction?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The only problem with FIOS is that to get a static IP (I do hosting among other things) it's $99/month.   I also have an alarm system, which pretty much requires a phone line too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only problem with FIOS is that to get a static IP (I do hosting among other things) it's $99/month.   I also have an alarm system, which pretty much requires a phone line too.

If your looking into security systems, there are new panels out the do what is called "supervised" communication.  If your connection fails (someone cuts your connection) the Central station will get an alarm.  These are fairly new but so far they seem to work very well.  There are always Cellular back up systems too ($$).  No land line necessary.

Mark.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your looking into security systems, there are new panels out the do what is called "supervised" communication.  If your connection fails (someone cuts your connection) the Central station will get an alarm.  These are fairly new but so far they seem to work very well.  There are always Cellular back up systems too ($$).  No land line necessary.

Mark.

Cellular was always expensive -- haven't checked into it in a few years though.

Supervised sounds like "ping, ping, ping -- no ping -- hmm, alarm" ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

Cellular was always expensive -- haven't checked into it in a few years though.

Supervised sounds like "ping, ping, ping -- no ping -- hmm, alarm" ?

Thats basically it in a nutshell.

Mark.

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Speakeasy as my ISP with Covad providing the DSL.  The only thing Verizon does is provide the copper pair to the house.

Once Verizon gets fiber pulled to the house (they're close in my neighbourhood) I'll look at that but the static IP is a killer (and their TOS which state no servers).

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I went with a Verizon line and SpeakEasy as the ISP. The gross speed was not an issue, but ping times were. Speakeasy offers the best, no blocked ports or other BS, and a static IP.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I use Speakeasy as my ISP with Covad providing the DSL.  The only thing Verizon does is provide the copper pair to the house.

Once Verizon gets fiber pulled to the house (they're close in my neighbourhood) I'll look at that but the static IP is a killer (and their TOS which state no servers).

$99 for biz FIOS

I know someone that tried to use dynamic DNS with the non-biz FIOS and he said the IP changed *hourly*, so they're certainly being aggressive with that.  He switched to the 15/2 biz plan for $99 and that included up to 5 static IPs.   I'll probably go that route once I figure out the alarm plan.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I went with a Verizon line and SpeakEasy as the ISP. The gross speed was not an issue, but ping times were. Speakeasy offers the best, no blocked ports or other BS, and a static IP.

I'm currently using Verizon for the circuit and DSL Only for ISP.  Verizon is $34.50?, and DSL only is $17.99.  I get 1.5/768k and a static IP.  Not a great deal, but it's been 99.9% reliable and having a local ISP is really worth it when you have a problem (or want to move with no down time like I did a couple years back).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top