Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 3:28:42 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me what kind of shell this is?  It appears to be iron or steel with a bronze band in the middle with an anchor and a zero scribed into it.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I see a 928 number on your phonebook--do you live in Albany?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Where did you find it? The location *might* help in the ID.I don't know nuffin' bout how to do an I.D, just thought I'd throw that out there.

I found a supposed link by googling up:
munitions makers mark anchor

It linked me to a ginormous PDF page with some sort of reference to a British naval ammunition company but I couldn't actually find it in the 100 or so pages.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
double tap :(
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Got calipers?

I'm guessing russian 37mmx94R naval gun projectile...  maybe not russian.  I think the caliber was pretty widely exported.  But the anchor leads me to think of the 37mm hotchkiss.  

Check this out:

Russian rounds all have a destinctive brass driving band 12mm - 12,5mm wide. Some rounds have a second driving band 6,5mm wide and spaced 12,5mm in front of the lower band.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool!!

I might be able to dig up some links I found when researching mine....

Scary what you can find in Grandma's attic.......... ( No, really!!! There were 2, both in the cardboard tubes, aparrantly Grandpa was going to make lamps outta them... )
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I see a 928 number on your phonebook--do you live in Albany?

I was gonna ask the same thing.  He has the Albany Garbage Company's number on his phone book.

I live in Albany.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I live in Albany.  That's a shot of my work desk
I hate looking up the garbage company when the dumpster is full so its right on the cover..  My Dad picked the shell up at the antique show in portland last week.  I think it was a dollar.  The lady didn't know anything about it, that sold it to him.  The diameter of the band is 1.470.  Its hollow and from the bottom it looks like it was threaded before it rusted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The diameter of the band is 1.470.

Works out to 37mm

Its hollow and from the bottom it looks like it was threaded before it rusted.

Possibly armor piercing, or practice.  Most AP shells are base fused for strength, and to obtain a slight delay between impact and explosion.

Is the thread area intact, or stripped (sheared out)?  I realize it's hard to tell due to rust, but if the threads are sheared from the inside, it means the base plug was blown out by the detonator or filler.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
no it doesn't appear to be stripped. just rusty.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works out to 37mm

DUDE!!!  I called it with my calibrated eye-ball.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works out to 37mm

DUDE!!!  I called it with my calibrated eye-ball.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top