Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 7:14:00 PM EDT

I have a buddy who really wants a SKS but doesn't know jack about what is good and what is bad.  I don't know jack about the SKS either.  I'm told by "others" that a AK would be better than the SKS if ya have the extra coin.  What do you think?  What should he look for in a SKS?  What should he look for in a AK?  Are all the SKS used or are there new around?  I need a SKS 101 class and a AK 101 class.....just enough info to make me/him dangerous

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you build him an AR, just kidding.  I don't know jack about either of them, but if it were me I'd buy an AK.

wg
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
First thing is buy a copy of shotgun news. There are usually at least 10 company's selling sks's. If you want to spend over 150 get a chinese or rushan.
I have a few and they are fun, but once I got into the ak's they don't get shot much anymore.
The fun factor of a yugo under folder is hard to beat for under 500$

Buy both
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I think a Russian or East European SKS-45 or AK-47/74 would be the best. Id perfer to get a 5.45x39mm AK since ammo is more accurate than 7.62x39. But a SKS is a good beginers carbine to start someone to Military Style rifles. So id get a Russian SKS-45.

And due to bad relighilbity Id avoid Chinese SKS carbines.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Reading material on the SKS:
www.simonov.net/
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#5]
My $130 Yugo SKS I scored today (still encrusted in cosmoline)

My suggestion...start out with a cheapie. I mean, an SKS is cheaper than a Ruger 10/22!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think a Russian or East European SKS-45 or AK-47/74 would be the best. Id perfer to get a 5.45x39mm AK since ammo is more accurate than 7.62x39. But a SKS is a good beginers carbine to start someone to Military Style rifles. So id get a Russian SKS-45.

Without trying to start some big pissing match.....where did you come up with that statement?

Having owned a few different SKS's and AK's...tell your buddy to save a few more bucks and buy or build an AR. I say this because he will probably go buy the first thing he can afford, shoot the hell out of it, the realize it wasn't quite what he wanted....then have to start all over again. Start with an AR, get the rest as follow up toys.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without trying to start some big pissing match.....where did you come up with that statement?

Having owned a few different SKS's and AK's...tell your buddy to save a few more bucks and buy or build an AR. I say this because he will probably go buy the first thing he can afford, shoot the hell out of it, the realize it wasn't quite what he wanted....then have to start all over again. Start with an AR, get the rest as follow up toys.

I'm with Boo on this one.  Start with an AR.  Iron sights.  Work from there.

Mark.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#8]
start with a saiga
its kinda like both
you can get it in about an cal you want
and if you want you can make it into an ak

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a chinese sks and it was fun as hell, traded it in along with a 12 ga towards my purchase of my first AR
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup, I loved SKS as well. Just wish I hadn't sold it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top