Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:01:24 PM EDT
............or at least I miss not having one. After doing the training session with the Marine recruits the other weekend, I was reminded how much fun a pump shotgun can be. So I am after some opinions.

I think I want a "pre-owned", as in WELL broke in, but not broken, 18 or 20" pump. The question that I think I want help with is what kind. I have played with various models, and owned a Mossberg at one time, I'd just like some more input/opinions. If you guys could give me some feedback as to likes and dislikes, it would be appricated!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Benelli M1, woot woot.hug.gif
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
doubble vote here on the 870 deffently IMHO a step *just one step mind you* above a Mosberg in quality..

now becuse i am a crazy fool and if i ever wanted to SBS a shotgun i would go with a mossberg Mavrick personally.. becuse of the button safety and the fact i can swap out mag tubes. *I wouldent mind a 6" 12ga*

but the 870 wont ever fail you.

Jess
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
870 wont' fail you and Neither will their KNOCK OFFS!!..

NORINCO HAWK 98

Love my shotty.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

NORINCO HAWK 98

Love my shotty.

I've been waiting for a range report on the communist pig.....how ya like it?  

And, yes an 870 is the way I'm leaning too, although I lust after a converted Saiga...but then who doesn't?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my 870.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been waiting for a range report on the communist pig.....how ya like it?  

And, yes an 870 is the way I'm leaning too, although I lust after a converted Saiga...but then who doesn't?

Very accurate with slugs. Shot 2 3/4 and 3" magnum slugs and every other shot round i can find.. No problems. loads of fun for $170
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

NORINCO HAWK 98

Love my shotty.

I'll give a BIG +1 to that. My M98 hasn't had a problem yet.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
First off, any shotgun that the damn safety falls off of is sub par for me.
Any shotgun, that only has one rail on the forearm (mavericks) instead of two is a POS, in my book.

Mavericks use two action bars.  The old models may have only had one, but all the ones I have ever looked at had two.  Other then the safety there is very little difference between the Maverick and the M500.

And 870's are ok, but from what I have read online they have a problem with the rust.  I have a friend who had this happen to him, he took it out shooting, then about two weeks later took it out of the safe and the entire thing was covered in rust (and he swears it was not wet at all when it put it in there - none of his other guns in that safe had a spec of rust on them).  

I have never had a problem with my Mossberg 500.  It shoots just fine and for the price I am totally happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Bill, I'm also contemplating trading out my Mossberg 500 for something else.

Let me know if you're interested.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

First off, any shotgun that the damn safety falls off of is sub par for me.
Any shotgun, that only has one rail on the forearm (mavericks) instead of two is a POS, in my book.
Mossbergs always have just fealt "loose" to me, the way the action cycles and such does not feel as strong as the good ol wingmaster

Out in the desert of SoCal, a guy I know had that happen.  Safet switch fell right off.  No biggie, just opened it up, deduced that the gun would function w/o it, and removed the rest of it.    Also mede extra sure everyone followed the four rules.

My 590 has two rails.

Yeah, the Mossy feels loose, but still feels indestructible.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#14]
590.. get the A1 option if you are going to beat it and don't mind the extra weight.  I like it because it has a bayo lug  like great grand pappy's 97 he brought back from France
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
590.. get the A1 option if you are going to beat it and don't mind the extra weight.  I like it because it has a bayo lug  like great grand pappy's 97 he brought back from France

Nothing quite like a bayonet on a shotgun...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#16]
If I had the cash, I'd do a '97 trench-gun clone ......that would be cool!!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]
As an owner of both the Remington 870 "HD" model (Home Defense or some such - came from the factory all nice and synthetic black, 18" bbl, extended mag tube) and a Winchester 1300 Defender (with a Speed-Feed IV pistol-grip buttstock on it), I've got to say, you can't go wrong with either of them.

I'd like to add a Mossberg and a Benelli to the collection, but my priorities are on firearms other than shotguns right now.

There *IS* a Franchi SAS-12 (yes, SAS, not SPAS) that I've had my eye on...feels real nice, accepts the same accessories as a SPAS-12 or LAW-12, not that it needs anything more than the PG/Butt that's on it now...
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the safety on the Mossberg. You can see it with a glance and it's easy to operate.

Putting a safety next to the trigger (like Remington does) is just plain stupid. Is it left off or right on, or  or this or that, or this right or that left?  You can't see it anyway, unless you turn the gun on it's side or move your head down there. Just swing the gun around and have a look. Just great for someone with a bad memory to blow you away with.  It’s also easy to accidentally brush it off and you won’t even know it because you can’t see it down there unless you go looking for it.

I don't care if a gun is less reliable or breaks now and then, IF it is the only safe alternative to a bad safety design.

The Remington is slick operating, has a steel receiver, and would get my vote if they redesigned the safety. As it is I would never buy one. I would also hesitate to hunt or shoot around people that have one.

If you haven’t already guessed, I own a Mossberg. I even used it in a defensive shotgun class last year. The safety has never fallen off and it has never experienced a broken part.

I got my first shotgun when I was in high school and knew nothing about them. It’s a Remington 870 and I still have it for sentimental reasons. It rarely leaves the gun rack because I consider it a stupid design. I’ve picked up the Mossberg a few times in the dark of night to shoot a skunk. The last thing I wanted to fiddle with is the stupid Remington safety. I’d pick up a single shot shotgun before that.

Stay away from the cheaper magazine extensions. They are notoriously unreliable and when they break they tend to jam up the action. I read a story once of a police officer responding to a bank robbery. As he exited the police car he hit the magazine extension against the door, bending it and jamming the gun. His only other gun was a 6 shot revolver so he was not a happy camper at that moment.

The Gunbroker in Tigard usually has a selection of cheap used shotguns. I’d look for one there first.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:12:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Why the odd ball gauge?  

The 870 is solid.  I picked one up 2 years ago, w/ synth furniture for $200.  It was filthy, but cleaned up OK.  Just need to pick up a 18" barrel to replace the 28" curently on there.

Come to think of it - I might be willing to let this go.  IM me if you want to take a peak.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the safety on the Mossberg. You can see it with a glance and it's easy to operate.

Putting a safety next to the trigger (like Remington does) is just plain stupid.

Unless you put the pistol grip on. Then you need to remove your hand from the grip, move the safety, then place it back on the grip.

All crossbar safeties that I know of are "Fire" push in with your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Putting a safety next to the trigger (like Remington does) is just plain stupid.

Unless you put the pistol grip on. Then you need to remove your hand from the grip, move the safety, then place it back on the grip.

All crossbar safeties that I know of are "Fire" push in with your trigger finger.

Unless you are left handed.....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You can get a bayo deal on an 870...  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I sold my Mossburg for an 870 because the safety kept droppoing into the safe position. It was also MUCH looser than my two 870s that I have owned. I picked up my latest 870 (20" synthetic) at Big 5 for $225 several years ago.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:22:03 AM EDT
[#24]
So Billy-Bob...

How can you be REAL white trash if you don't have a "GET OFF MY LAND" double barrel?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#25]
NO-AIM,
I am surprised you didn't suggest a REAL SHOTGUN?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
NO-AIM,
I am surprised you didn't suggest a REAL SHOTGUN?

www.orl-llc.com/nfa-pics/Saiga-12/Saiga-12.jpg

EXACTLY what I was thinking

I have a real nice 870, parked, with side saddle, built in forearm light, 20" iron sighted barrel, ext mag, sty stocks. I am actually thinking of going to an auto. maybe we can talk.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I shot my 870 at  the shotgun match a couple of years ago.  I did poorly compared to the autos.  I would get an auto for any serious shotgunning.  I use my shotty for "Range fun" now.  not for much else.  I do have it loaded around the house in one of those odd places where you dont think you will ever need a gun though.  Might come in handy someday.  You never know.  Nothing says "SIT THE FUCK DOWN!" like 3" mag buckshot.

Mark.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:38:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I shot my 870 at  the shotgun match a couple of years ago.  I did poorly compared to the autos.  I would get an auto for any serious shotgunning.  I use my shotty for "Range fun" now.  not for much else.  I do have it loaded around the house in one of those odd places where you dont think you will ever need a gun though.  Might come in handy someday.  You never know.  Nothing says "SIT THE FUCK DOWN AND FINISH YOUR LUCKY CHARMS!" like 3" mag buckshot.

Mark.

Hate to be your kid  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:52:10 AM EDT
[#30]
870 all the way.  I have a 15 year old express that's never failed me.  I ust it to shoot clays, and
I put a 20" barrel on for home defense.  I added a magazine extension, 8+1.

Mossy's are ok as well.  A friend has a Benelli Nova, it's a nice gun, but it's a pain to find accessories
for and although it's finish is better than my 870, it cost 50% more.

Speaking of new shotguns, my Saiga 12 returns from Tromix tomorrow!!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:09:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

SBS?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I shot my 870 at  the shotgun match a couple of years ago.  I did poorly compared to the autos.  I would get an auto for any serious shotgunning.  I use my shotty for "Range fun" now.  not for much else.  I do have it loaded around the house in one of those odd places where you dont think you will ever need a gun though.  Might come in handy someday.  You never know.  Nothing says "SIT THE FUCK DOWN AND FINISH YOUR LUCKY CHARMS!" like 3" mag buckshot.

Mark.

Hate to be your kid  

If I had Kids they certainly wouldn't have Lucky charms!  If they did have lucky charms I would take all the marshmellows out.  Thats just how I roll.  

I did change my first diaper the other day (not as bad as I thought it would be.  (I guess all that time in the sandbox burning shit in a barrel had some redeeming value after all)  I was baby sitting my nephew.  He's 1.  He can now detail strip and reassemble a Glock and an AR.  His Mom is thrilled.    J/K.  

Mark.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

Hate to be your kid  

If I had Kids they certainly wouldn't have Lucky charms!  If they did have lucky charms I would take all the marshmellows out.  Thats just how I roll.  

I did change my first diaper the other day (not as bad as I thought it would be.  (I guess all that time in the sandbox burning shit in a barrel had some redeeming value after all)  I was baby sitting my nephew.  He's 1.  He can now detail strip and reassemble a Glock and an AR.  His Mom is thrilled.    J/K.  

Mark.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm glad I will never have to change a diaper.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I bet you a dollar otherwise

Year 2066
WS4LIF "Kar-iiiii!! Bring me a depends women!!!" <mumbles to self> "Cape, you fucking asshole"
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Somehow this does tie in with the sound of racking a round into shotgun
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Year 2066

Hopefully a shark will have eaten me by then
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#38]

I've always wanted a 66' Mustang.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've always wanted a 66' Mustang.  

For $90 a paycheck you could have one:

http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/7/83453067.htm
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBS?

Nope, 18.25".  I'm still considering converting my other S12 to a SBS though.  On the plus
side, since it's not a NFA weapon,  it won't take 3 months to transfer it! :-)

BTW, turnaround time on this conversion will be about 3 weeks.  Out-frickin-standing!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Gentleman's bet......within the next 10 years, you will have bred. Although the thought of this scares me profoundly.

Thanks for the input guys!

Here's another random thought.......Browning A5s.....anyone make accesories? I know that might sound kinda goofy, but 7 or 8 round tube with a short barrel would be VERY different. Still thinking 870 though......hmmmmm
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBS?

Nope, 18.25".  I'm still considering converting my other S12 to a SBS though.  On the plus

BTW, turnaround time on this conversion will be about 3 weeks.  Out-frickin-standing!

Yep. Tony's pretty speedy. I think mine was about 4 weeks.

I think you need an 8". You know...something for Pat to play with...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:50:35 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBS?

Yep. Tony's pretty speedy. I think mine was about 4 weeks.

Sounds good!
I am having a HALF PRICE NFA PAPERWORK SALE
on anything I don't already have in my safes

Prices have increased from $75 to $100 for paperwork,
but for you guys it's JUST $50!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Winchester Defender.  nuff said
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:58:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'll ignore the innuendo and address the content!

I think a SBS is in my future, but it must wait a month or two since I've over-spent my
toy budget 3 months in a row.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I think a SBS is in my future, but it must wait a month or two since I've over-spent my

Well then the 870 would be the most economical choice to SBS.  
You can cut them to 12" without modifying the lower tube.
The Mossberg is my choice of pumps, but my AOW ($5 xfer) can only go to 14" without modifications.

email me if I can HELP you stimulate the economy!
Pat 07/02
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The Mossberg is my choice of pumps, but my AOW ($5 xfer) can only go to 14" without modifications.

Pat 07/02

If I go SBS, it will be an S12.  I figure once you go NFA what's the point in skimping!?
I'll definitely get you in the loop if/when I send my second saiga off to Tony.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pat 07/02

Pat:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a short-barreled shotgun, sans buttstock, with only a pistol grip, would be an AOW, correct?

How much are we talking, if I were to give you a cheap old 12ga SxS, and have you chop down the buttstock into a pistol grip-ish thing, and chop the barrels down just forward of the handguard (recrowning them, of course)??

Was thinking that I'd like one as a toy, and if it'd be an AOW w/$5 transfer, that'd be cool.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top