Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 8:23:22 AM EDT
What are the ins and outs of SBR-ing a lower in Oregon?

Any tips or words of wisdom?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Get your Form 4 signed by your local sheriff, write a check for $200, get a set of fingerprints on the fingerprint card that you can order from the ATF website and mail it all to the ATF.

Thats all there is to it.

(Apart from the wait to get the Form 4 back ...)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What are the ins and outs of SBR-ing a lower in Oregon?

Any tips or words of wisdom?

Thanks!

triple check your forms for completion.  staple the check and your picture to the form.  make copies of the forms before you send them (including the check and fingerprint cards).  send them by priority mail.

not much to it really... just waiting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get your Form 4 signed by your local sheriff, write a check for $200, get a set of fingerprints on the fingerprint card that you can order from the ATF website and mail it all to the ATF.

Thats all there is to it.

(Apart from the wait to get the Form 4 back ...)

Is he transfering a lower or registering one?
(Form 4 is transfer, Form 1 is reg.)

and what about that goofy citizenship card?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Is he transfering a lower or registering one?
(Form 4 is transfer, Form 1 is reg.)

and what about that goofy citizenship card?

Gotta fill out the citizenship form.

Your name goes on line 1 AND 2. (I know it sounds stupid, but that's how you have to do it...)

"United States of America" goes in country line.

Don't forget to sign and date...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, guys!  I'm picking up another Mega lower and was trying to decide if it would be worth it to register it as a SBR.  Still mulling it over.

What were some of the reasons you all went SBR?  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I did it for the cool factor and for a suppressor.

Then I went out and bought an M16.

Now I don't use my semi auto SBR cause...well.......figure it out for yourself
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They're cool(er) that way.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info, guys!  I'm picking up another Mega lower and was trying to decide if it would be worth it to register it as a SBR.  Still mulling it over.

Also, there is something else you oughta know:  There seems to be some contention on the subject of engraving.  Some say all you have to do is register the lower and build your rifle when the Form 1 comes back.  Others say you need to also engrave your name, city and state on the lower denoting you as the "maker".  This annoys some (like myself) who see it as defacing the gun and unnecessary.  Several people have written letters to ATF and have gotten responses that are less than clear.

Check out the thread in the Class III Association in the "Armory" forum, or the M16 section of the AR-15 forum...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If I may- go with a different lower.  I picked up a mega for doing my first SBR- I wanted a 'multi' cal marked lower.  Went to have the engraving done and the finish began flaking off!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:46:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're cool(er) that way.

img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/b29e1f66.jpg

Sir, you are exactly right. My new SBR upper (and my most expensive to date) shipped from Texas today.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
the devil is in the details.  what county are you in?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, there is something else you oughta know:  There seems to be some contention on the subject of engraving.  Some say all you have to do is register the lower and build your rifle when the Form 1 comes back.  Others say you need to also engrave your name, city and state on the lower denoting you as the "maker".  This annoys some (like myself) who see it as defacing the gun and unnecessary.  Several people have written letters to ATF and have gotten responses that are less than clear.

Check out the thread in the Class III Association in the "Armory" forum, or the M16 section of the AR-15 forum...

I didn't re-engrave my SW-5 when I chopped the barrel.  The ATF didn't mind.

Easy peasy...

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:33:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Linn county.

While an SBR would have the "cool" factor, engraving/defacing would take the shine off the penny, so to speak.

Assuming that I wouldn't have to engrave the lower and I decided to SBR, how would the timing work out legally?

For example, I would assume one would have to have the SBR paperwork before one could receive a short barreled upper, correct?

Thanks again for the help!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Linn county.

While an SBR would have the "cool" factor, engraving/defacing would take the shine off the penny, so to speak.

Assuming that I wouldn't have to engrave the lower and I decided to SBR, how would the timing work out legally?

For example, I would assume one would have to have the SBR paperwork before one could receive a short barreled upper, correct?

Thanks again for the help!

Absolutely.  DO NOT possess a short upper until you have a stamped form 1 in hand.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Absolutely.  DO NOT possess a short upper until you have a stamped form 1 in hand.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Supposedly the ruling is this:

If you have a matching lower for the upper, whether it is built or stripped, co-location equals constructive posession (i.e. intent to construct) if they wanted to be technical about it.

Otherwise, it's the lower that is an SBR, not the upper. So, if you don't currently have an AR, go ahead and buy the upper. If you do, keep the upper at a friend's house.

It's kind of like smoking weed. Not all that bad, and if you keep it in your house, no one minds. But if you get caught, it hurts.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the info guys!

I want to keep everything legal and above board.  If I decide to go SBR, I want to make sure I do things in the right order.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Any AR-15 stripped or individual Lower without a stock is a "pistol" and there you go...any size barrel.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:19:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Any AR-15 stripped or individual Lower without a stock is a "pistol" and there you go...any size barrel.

Uh, doesn't it have to be 4473'd as a pistol?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, doesn't it have to be 4473'd as a pistol?

or as a receiver only
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

NO,
Legally, it MUST be in the dealers A&D book as a RECEIVER ONLY,
and a 4473 is marked RECEIVER ONLY, not Rifle.

You can not trust, "ANY individual Lower".  Sure You MAY get away with it,
but do you want to take the chance?
Just like you MAY get away with having a SHORT BARREL before having a Form 1 approved, or an UN-REGISTERED DIAS and an AR-15
Or maybe you want to be BUBBA's BITCH for the next 10-20 years????

Not ME!

Pat
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Just like you MAY get away with having a SHORT BARREL before having a Form 1 approved, or an UN-REGISTERED DIAS and an AR-15

A un-registered DIAS is a machine gun, a short barrel is just a barrel.

You have to commit a crime before you can be charged with one.  

Von Braun says:  "If you can get a V-2 to London you can own a 10.5" barrel without papers"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top