Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 8:14:13 AM EDT
My dealer says it is the Russians holding back inventory to boost prices....  Someone else says it is because the market elsewhere is more lucrative do to certain conflicts in progess.....  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I had a hard time finding any on saturday( had to try out my first AK build). One dealer told me it was all going overseas?!?! Why? Our troops are using .223 not 7.62x39. Any way I was able to score some REALLY off brand stuff for about 3.95 a box, put about a hundred rounds through the new gun and it worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There's lot of theories, check the AK-ammo board for speculation.  But what's making it worse, is 7.62 is still coming over here, but because everyone's worried of a shortage, they're buying a LOT of it.  Many places are selling out in hours of all their stock when it comes in.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My dealer says it is the Russians holding back inventory to boost prices....  Someone else says it is because the market elsewhere is more lucrative do to certain conflicts in progess.....  

This is the most commone explanation i've been given.. This is coming from Dealers and popular Retail establishments. IE.. GI JOES, Sportsmans Warehouse,  The US Government had purchased large ammounts of 7.62x39 to supply Iraqui soldiers. Since Russian Ammo is the cheapest the Wolf was hit first. A sales rep at the gun counter at GI Joe's said that they had the Feds stop the shipment of their order for ammo and took only the Wolf 7.62x39 but then let everythning else through.

that's what i heard and i hope that helps.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the guberment is buying it and sending it to Iraq and Afghanistan for the troops we are training over there, can't remember where I read that, nor did I check the resource to verify.

ETA: somebody beat me to it
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the most commone explanation i've been given.. This is coming from Dealers and popular Retail establishments. IE.. GI JOES, Sportsmans Warehouse,  The US Government had purchased large ammounts of 7.62x39 to supply Iraqui soldiers. Since Russian Ammo is the cheapest the Wolf was hit first. A sales rep at the gun counter at GI Joe's said that they had the Feds stop the shipment of their order for ammo and took only the Wolf 7.62x39 but then let everythning else through.

that's what i heard and i hope that helps.

I bet the jerky guy at hte gun show knows more then the guys at Joes!!!

Skip your coffee this morning?

ETA: What ever the reason.... it is drying up and whats there is going up in price at an alarming rate. Glad I own ZERO commy guns!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]

It's turned back into an expensive caliber so it's better suited for reloaders of exotic calibers.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#7]
My personal favorite theories:

- Hurricane Katrina buy up
- Going to Iraq National Police
- Going to Venezuela along with new AK orders
- Holding back to increase prices

Any other good ones I've missed?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Theory. CAPE is buying up all the AK ammo because he hates commy guns!..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
WAY too much bump firing!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Any other good ones I've missed?

OK, here's what we've got: the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing our vendors to hold back 7.62x39 stock  in a fiendish plot to eliminate the AK class of weapons in the US.   We're through the looking glass, here, people!!

My apologies to Matt Groening for "borrowing" his wisdom.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WAY too much bump firing!

Sorry  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Sorry  

I'm getting tired of seeing  your Avatar!.. I keep hearing "ROLLIN in my 5.0 with the Ragtop down so my hair can blow".. ARRRRRRGGGGH!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry  

I'm getting tired of seeing  your Avatar!.. I keep hearing "ROLLIN in my 5.0 with the Ragtop down so my hair can blow".. ARRRRRRGGGGH!!!!!

Word to your mother.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#14]
HALLIBURTON!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry  

Word to your mother.

Bah da dump dump.. daaaahhh.. dah daaaah dah daaaaaahah... daaaaah dah daaaaah dah daaaaah.. dumb dumb dumb dada dumb dumb.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I think they have customer orders that make the “sporting” segment less profitable right now.  As soon as manufacturing is upped a couple of notches and the big orders are filled the “sporting” ammo will be back.  

Of course the days of $75./1K are over.

ETA:

Or not.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#17]
well it was a matter of time with all the aks on the the market now look how many guys own 2 or 3 of them and building from the flood of kits and flats and stripped receivers as well as the sks curios coming in the surplus forien military finally ran out which means companies like wolf that had to compete with surplus ammo prices no longer have to do that.

think about it . the 7.62x39 rd takes more material and the same amount of labor to produce a .223 yet for years 7.62 was $89 per thousand and .223 was $115 per thousand. and now with the surplus dried up and a higher amount of ak owners the demand it up higher than the .223 since most .223 owners prefer to shoot a better quality ammo.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I imagine that we'll eventually see a domestic producer of 7.62x39, and hopefully 5.45x39.

As far as why there's a shortage, Wolf has never really said anything, except "It's on its way!".

I can't comment on anything else, other than I had heard that the shortage wasn't military/Iraq related, as Wolf doesn't supply military ammo - dunno if this is accurate or not.

Wolf said end of March, OMC said the same thing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I imagine that we'll eventually see a domestic producer of 7.62x39, and hopefully 5.45x39.

As far as why there's a shortage, Wolf has never really said anything, except "It's on its way!".

I can't comment on anything else, other than I had heard that the shortage wasn't military/Iraq related, as Wolf doesn't supply military ammo - dunno if this is accurate or not.

762x39

I think it might have a .308 bullet. It's spendy, but reloadable.
I've still got SPAM Cans from the Good Old Days. Don't shoot my AK much at all.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#20]
It’s my theory that the zombies are buying it all up to make the inevitable invasion just that much more successful.  Everyone knows that 5.56/.223 will not stop a zombie.  That kind of sucks for me as I don’t own any rifles that aren't bolt action in anything above .22 cal.  

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...I've still got SPAM Cans from the Good Old Days. Don't shoot my AK much at all.

I don't shoot my 762x39 much either.  I still have tons of the Chicom ammo stacked up (neon green boxes )  I'm even contemplating getting out of 762x39 altogether, selling it all or trade it for a nice .45 pistol  After all, there's only so much room in the safe and to get another safe, well... that would make me a gun-nut, wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm even contemplating getting out of 762x39 altogether, selling it all or trade it for a nice .45 pistol..

Thats about enough to bring a tear to my eye!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#23]

The obvious choice is to get involved with cowboy action shooting.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:46:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, because my .45-70 is so cheap to shoot...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Buffalo hunter is a special class  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buffalo hunter is a special class  

Well, if there's a BBQ afterwards it does help offset the cost of the ammo. Mmmmm, buffalo liver
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

762x39

I think it might have a .308 bullet. It's spendy, but reloadable.

Heh - let me rephrase that, then:

I imagine that we'll eventually fine a domestic producer of cheap blasting 7.62x39, and hopefully 5.45x39.

Honestly, I don't think prices comparable to the Lake City XM193 or XM855 would be unreasonable - prices of a year or more ago, that is, around $160-$170 per 1000rds of decent quality brass-cased boxer-primed 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I bought a case of the Wolf that Cabellas had on sale for a good price on top of some cheap surplus a while back.  For some reason I haven't shot the AK or SKS lately either.

I was at Bi-mart for some powder the other day when I noticed a "clearance" tag on a set of RCBS dies in the corner of the shelf priced at $14.95.  When I got my reading glasses on I saw they were 7.62X39's.  I took it as a sign and put 'em in the basket.  Bought a 40 pack of Winchester ammo at Wal-Mart the other night for a little brass and will order a trimmer and some bullets next week.  I figure to load for my 59/66.  Actually I'm just screwing around while I wait for spring.

Today I got a couple cans of a good bake-on finish for a couple of projects.  One of them is to refinish my WASR metal so I'll be tearing mine down shortly anyway.  Time for that trigger swap while I'm in there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top