Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 1:45:15 PM EDT

For various reasons, my wife and I are considering relocating to somewhere in the southern part of your state. But I don't know too much about your gun laws, or other facets of your state government, and social demographics. So if you would permit me a few questions....
1. How hard is it to get a concealed carry permit in Oregon? Do you have "shall issue" wording? Does one permit allow you to carry various concealed guns, or just one specific weapon?
2.Do state laws limit the type of firearms, magazines etc that you can buy or possess beyond federal law? Ferinstance, "normal" civilian AR-15s are illegal to possess in Kali, I believe.
3. Just how oppressive (or not,) is your state gov? I know that Portland is a pretty liberal place, and am wondering how many rights & liberties may already have been impinged, or are under relatively imminent jeopardy?
4.In your opinion, what are some of the best places to live in southern Oregon, either near the coast, or further inland?
5.What, in your opinion, are some of the Best, and the Worst things about living in Oregon.

Thanks for your info and opinions!
(ps. Don't stress. I'm from the Phoenix area, and I don't think you have to worry about too many "Zonies" invading your state.)
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll let others answer in more detail but no items are banned here.  All NFA items are legal to own.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Just moved back up here a couple years ago from Tempe. For the time being, Oregon is very much like Arizona. There is quite a bit more… liberal in the air around here though, especially up north.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
No. 5) The worst thing… the rain and dreary days… especially if you’ve been in Arizona for a while and have grown accustomed to the blue sky days and the heat.

The best things, the rain and dreary days, the seasons do change. Living here you just have to work with it. Going from Tempe to visit friends in Flag involved a lot of sweat shirts as I no longer had a heavy jacket. There’s tons –o-stuff to do; the ocean is closer than San Diego...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

For various reasons, my wife and I are considering relocating to somewhere in the southern part of your state. But I don't know too much about your gun laws, or other facets of your state government, and social demographics. So if you would permit me a few questions....
1. How hard is it to get a concealed carry permit in Oregon? Do you have "shall issue" wording? Does one permit allow you to carry various concealed guns, or just one specific weapon?

Shall-issue. Easy to get. Covers any handgun (nothing else, no knifes, sawn-off shotguns etc.)

2.Do state laws limit the type of firearms, magazines etc that you can buy or possess beyond federal law? Ferinstance, "normal" civilian AR-15s are illegal to possess in Kali, I believe.

No limitations.

3. Just how oppressive (or not,) is your state gov? I know that Portland is a pretty liberal place, and am wondering how many rights & liberties may already have been impinged, or are under relatively imminent jeopardy?

There are one or two people to watch on both sides. One of the most anti-gun people in OR took over the judiciary committee leadership this year. She tried to get all of the legislation that has ever been passed in any state, and then some, to decimate the RKBA in Oregon. Fortunately, she is a raving loon and was recognised as such even by her own party members (D) and the legislation she proposed went nowhere. So for the moment its relatively safe, but you do need to be vigilant and prepared for political action if required.

4.In your opinion, what are some of the best places to live in southern Oregon, either near the coast, or further inland?

Inland has more severe weather, but tha keeps the liberals out

5.What, in your opinion, are some of the Best, and the Worst things about living in Oregon.

Best: gun laws, no sales tax.

Bad: Too many CA transplants bringing their wacky ideas with them. Creeping D influence.

Thanks for your info and opinions!
(ps. Don't stress. I'm from the Phoenix area, and I don't think you have to worry about too many "Zonies" invading your state.)

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Philip pretty much hit the nail on the head in answering your questions.  If you move up, you should probably consider staying away from Ashland, "home of the loonies". Medford, Grants Pass and Brookings are starting to show signs of Californication. If you don't mind a smaller city Roseburg or Klamath Falls wouldn't be bad.  The east side of the state would be great except for the lack of employment opportunities.

As far as political concerns go, Oregon has historically been an "I'll do my thing, you do your thing" state.  However that mindset has been rapidly changing in the way the state government views and regulates business.  Hopefully that can be reversed before it eats up the business community and then starts in on the citizenry.

Sorry for the ramblings, but just a few thoughts from a 27 year native.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all for the replies. Good news, at least on the gun front.

We'll come up within a couple of months to check it out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#7]
One thing I've noticed in Oregon is that there is no seperation of the class'. I was cruiseing through Grants Pass about a week ago and noticed how you'll see an obvious Cali transplant building a $500,000 house behing big electric security gates and on both sides and across the street are tear down houses that are most likly meth labs. IMO, there are no "good areas" or "bad areas", like other states.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I think that is true of the southern and most eastern parts of the states. Most of the valley and the Bend area have alot more seperation of classes, but outside of Portland, Salem, Eugene, and Bend, Oregon lacks a real strong upper class.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One thing I've noticed in Oregon is that there is no seperation of the class'. I was cruiseing through Grants Pass about a week ago and noticed how you'll see an obvious Cali transplant building a $500,000 house behing big electric security gates and on both sides and across the street are tear down houses that are most likly meth labs. IMO, there are no "good areas" or "bad areas", like other states.

What you're seeing is gentrification - the class seperation in progress.  Or more to the point, money moving in and the scrubs getting bought out.  In time, it will look like Cali.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In time, it will look like Cali.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In time, it will look like Cali.

Oregon folks, please accept my apologies…FUCKERS!
Gov. McCall had it right!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice place to visit, but.............I think only native Orygunians appreciate that....if there are any of us left..
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I was born and raised in oregon, and I'm a purebred, i love this state, and Its really heartbreaking to think about it becoming another california

c'est la vie.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was born and raised in oregon, and I'm a purebred, i love this state, and Its really heartbreaking to think about it becoming another california

c'est la vie.

+1, we ain't gonna let it happen though, right?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Nice place to visit, but.............I think only native Orygunians appreciate that....if there are any of us left..

Oh, there are still a few of us around.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another one here.

Can we get a St. Patrick or Pied Piper that can go forth and lead all the Californians out of the state?

Southern Oregon is supposed to be a great spot.  I like their politics:  www.jeffersonstate.com
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:20:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here. Although I spent a few years in Washington I am very happy to be back in Oregon.

If you stay mainly Roseburg and south and the casacades east you will love it here. Eugene and north there is just way to much liberal floating in the air and polluting the water.

I want to live in Jefferson State!!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I was born in So Cal, moved to Phoenix, then Denver, then back to Northern Cal, then up to Oregon when I was 4, so I'm kind of a mutt as far as location goes.

My parents were both native Oregonians though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

+1

+2  Born in Klamath Falls and been in Portland area since. I'd agree with the "we pretty much do our own thing" statement h.gif
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#21]
you can't pump your own gas....sometime that's good sometimes it sucks..

income tax is way too high!!!  i would rather have a sales tax than income tax!  

there are definatly seasons, love the spring and fall, its great...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#22]

i would rather have a sales tax than income tax!  

I buy alot...no WAY!

Go buy a new car and still say that....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top