Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 11:07:15 AM EDT
I got my certificate from the instructor so now I have to go to McMinville to fill out the CHL paperwork.  I called the number list on the OFF site and the lady at Yamhill County said I can only come in between 9am and 11am on Wednesdays.  I felt like saying, "Could you find a more inconvenient time?"  
So now I'm thinking if they're this intent on crapping on the people who pay their salaries are they going to even issue one?  I live in Newberg and work in Beaverton, so I pretty much have to take a 1/2 day off just to go, and I'd hate to go down there only to get turned down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes -- its a pain.

The reason they do this is (according to the deputy I spoke to there) that they have someone come in specially to do the fingerprints -- its a third party, not one of the Sheriff's office staff.

This is actually a step up from the previous Sheriff who really didn't want to do CHLs at all, and just to make life difficult he insisted that your fingerprints be done at the jail intake -- so you had to find the door at the back of the jail, hammer at it until someone answered (could take a while) and then wait in line among the local thieves and murderers to get your prints taken.

The current sheriff soon put a stop to that, and he signs NFA paperwork without any complaint, so in general he seems ok, and I would be reluctant to complain too loudly -- but it might be worth mentioning that it is a quite restrictive time. The more people who voice discontent (even a polite letter might not be out of order) the more chance of getting the times expanded.

Another possibility is to ask why, and see if you get the same story that I did (fingerprinter). If so, then ask if it would be ok to get your fingerprints done at the Washington County Sheriff's Office (which is much better organized and is open from 9am to 4:45pm Monday to Friday) and drop those off along with the completed forms and photocopies of your ID at some other time.

As to are they going to issue one - yes, they will -- assuming you have a clean record.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There times suck, but they were super nice when I was there. Mine was to transfer from Washington County to Yamhill. The new one came in a week, but the picture smudged on the new card.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]

They take pictures and fingerprints on Wednesday morning. I don't know if they would accept outside photos.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They take pictures and fingerprints on Wednesday morning. I don't know if they would accept outside photos.

Ah, yes. That might be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#5]
So here's another question.  We may be moving in the next six months to Washington County.  Do I need to reapply if I get it now in Yamhill County?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
When I moved from Lane to Benton county last year I asked at the Benton Co. office about transfering and they said no hurry and that a State permit is just that.  I ended up transfering it so my address matched my ODL.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
You are supposed to let the sheriff in the new county know, and apply for an exchange permit -- its just that, an exchange, no re-applying.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet, thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top