BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 8:27:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool, thanks peta.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
.22 Ammunition may have a larger proportion of glass in the priming compound (used as a sensitizer to cause primer ignition on impact).  As a result, the high-velocity spray of particulates tends to be abrasive - heavily used .22 barrels show a pronounced area of erosion at 6:00 just forward of the chamber.

I've heard of people using the following to clean firearms:

• Automatic transmission fluid

• "Kroil" brand penetrating oil

• Straight kerosene

All of these have on thing in common:  they are extremely light fluids, and penetrate under the layer of fouling.  Could be wrong, but I think both WD-40 and Hoppe's #9 incorporate kerosene in the formula.

The newer generation of petroleum-free firearms cleaners show a lot of promise.  I use MPro-7 (also sold as Hoppe's Elite, and some Smith & Wesson product), and there are increasing number of similar products.  The stuff works well - following a 5 minute soak, crusted carbon residue wipes off.  Note that MPro-7 is a powerful degreaser, so some application of sort of preservative oil is recommended after using it.

Not sure how Simple Green compares to MPro-7, but they're both cleaners, and effective oil removers.  Perhaps diluted Simple Green is in order?

Competive analysis of MPro-7 vs other products may be seen at www.mp7.com/NCompetative.htm
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:45:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Great info, the only thing I would add is to make sure the cleaner you are using will not affect or attack the material of the suppressor, in this case, aluminum.

Better not!  Uncle Sam uses MPro-7 on F16s and M16s.  Pantheon Chemicals claims thier product is safe for use on aluminum.

Probably not caused by using MPro-7:

(image from http://www.mcmahanphoto.com/af146.html)
www.rapp.org/archives/2004/01/thunderbird_crash/ says the cause was pilot error - OOPS!  Some good video of the accident at that site.

Also not caused by using MPro-7 (occured before it was used as a firearms cleaner):

Image from www.safetycenter.navy.mil/presentations/media/groundwarrior/m16rupture.htm
Rifle was fired with an obstructed bore - shooter didn't hear that the previous round went "pop" instead of "BANG!"

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Why bother?  I've never cleaned any of my cans (PC, you can clean the Outback once it's yours) and some of them have thousands and thousands of rounds through them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why bother?  I've never cleaned any of my cans (PC, you can clean the Outback once it's yours) and some of them have thousands and thousands of rounds through them.

Dammit!  And I was just going to post "In Before EKinOR starts poo-pooing cleaning of 22 cans."

Hey, it's the first gun thing that I've been told NOT to clean.  How could I possibly pass up the chance to indulge in my own laziness, and actually be encouraged to do so?

That thing is gonna get dirty fast since I'm gonna have three .22's with threaded barrels for it.

Maybe I can completely fill it with crud...

Me:  "Hey, I need you guys to clean this can..."
Gem-Tech guy:  "We'll make you a new one, it will be faster and easier."
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Me:  "Hey, I need you guys to clean this can..."
Gem-Tech guy:  "We'll make you a new one, it will be faster and easier."

Well, that's not quite what I was told, but it'll do.  In reality, Phil told me that fouling of the can generally increases it's effectiveness and that cleaning a can, especially one with aluminum parts, can possibly damage it if the wrong substances are used.

My general policy with cleaning guns is don't, except on the ones I rely upon for serious social work.  My MP5 probably has 10k rounds through it since the last time I cleaned it.  When it gets sluggish, that just means it needs more lube.  headbang.gif
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#8]
One suppressor manufacturer's site that I went to mentioned that powder residues can and do catch fire inside a suppressor from time to time.  However, flareups are infrequent, and generally not a problem.

The same site mentioned that moisture can condense inside a suppressor, and that acid traces (from powder residue, or un-neutralized acid from manufacturing - about the same thing) can cause corrosion.  The solution is to dry out your suppressor, and to store suppressed firearms muzzle down.
See www.soundtechsilencers.com/care.htm under "Maintenance" .
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:02:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My general policy with cleaning guns is don't, except on the ones I rely upon for serious social work.  My MP5 probably has 10k rounds through it since the last time I cleaned it.  When it gets sluggish, that just means it needs more lube.  

Besides, carbon can be a protective coating.  

I see that USMC training really payed off...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#10]
wow cool..
but what i really want is someone to shoot an Agula Chibi round out of their can...

shot some today and DAMN out of my 10/22 it sounded like an Airgun..

too bad i heard they dont stableize well and can lead the baffle strikes... i dont think anyone would want to risk that one..

Jess
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
wow cool..
but what i really want is someone to shoot an Agula Chibi round out of their can...

too bad i heard they dont stableize well and can lead the baffle strikes... i dont think anyone would want to risk that one..

Jess

The 60gr stuff won't. However, the 35 and 40gr shoot stabilize.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wow cool..

Jess

Depends on the barrel
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
wow cool..

Jess

Depends on the barrel

True, but lets talk most Ruger Mark II, Buckmark, 10/22 barrels.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]
this stuff is 20 grain ammo.. with no powder backing it..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top