Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 11:53:13 AM EDT

Any cowboy action shooters here?  It looks like it would be fun.

I was thinking of going to the Cowboy action shoot at tri-country but need a list of equipment. Any other places close by have cowboy shoots?  From what I’ve read in gunrags they seem like a strict bunch that don’t like newbie walk-ins that don’t have every last piece of hardware and clothing to their liking. Should I just forget about it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
...From what I’ve read in gunrags they seem like a strict bunch that don’t like newbie walk-ins that don’t have every last piece of hardware and clothing to their liking...

You can get into it quite cheap:

This little number is only $37!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#2]

That picture does not help at all.  I am already having second thoughts again. Every time I get interested in this I do a search and come up with reasons some of these guys are just clowns.

To see what I mean look at these "championship" videos:
www.jspublications.net/records/SantaFeRiverStanRifle204.wmv
www.jspublications.net/records/GFBud219.wmv
www.jspublications.net/records/BudD458.wmv

Anybody know of cowboy shoots with real ammunition?

I guess we need "Elmer Keith Cowboy Shoots" for  practical shooters.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Getting dressed up for it seems too much for me.  If you like to shoot historical guns, that's great, but does it really affect the match if you were to wear spurs or not?

Giddy up.

Oh, that pic I posted somehow reminds me of the movie "Super Troopers".
"Is that legal?"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
After seeing those videos, I'm even less impressed.  Like trick shooters who are only good at shooting a specific target at a specific range really quickly.  Practice enough using light loads, and you would probably be doing pretty well, but it has almost no bearing on real life.  Hell, I would think it's pretty cool if they dressed up in the traditional cowboy attire during the shoots, but those guys were wearing T-shirts!  

You want skill?  Long range shooting, IPSC, shooting small targets out of the air with a BAR.  That's impressive.

I patiently await flames from the cowboy shooters...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I patiently await flames from the cowboy shooters...

I don't think there are any here. Even at the range I rarely see someone with single action revolvers.  I am all alone, even more so because I like mule kicking pistols that make my hands hurt.  I haven't even heard back from WS4lif since I sent him a link to a Walker pistol - 60 grains of blackpowder
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I am probably going to get flamed for this but oh well. If I had themoney to get into it I would definitely do the Cowboy Action Shooting. My uncle is big time into it and has been for the last 4 years. I went to a regional shoot that was held down here the local gun club last summer and it was very cool. The shoot looked like lots of fun, they had six different stages to shoot and all were set-up differently with varying ranges too. Obvioulsy the only pistols thay were allowed were single action revolvers, lever action pistol caliber rifles and shotguns.

One of the things that really stood out to me at this match was how safety conscious the match is. They have at leats two assigned RSO's to each stage plus everyone else is responsible to watch for safety as well as help count hits and misses and help police the brass.The only thing that I would have a problem with is dressing the part but the shooting looks like it woul dbe worth it. My uncle said he averages about 25k to 30k rounds a year between practice and all the tournamnets and matches he goes to. He had to buy a dillon 650 just to reload all that ammo...he said the UPS guy knows him on a first name basis now. Maybe when I get a little older and a little more financially secure I can afford it; betwen the two revolvers, the rifle an dthe shotgun the low end price runs about 1300 bucks and that's before ammo andthe costume and the holsters and your cart. That's the other thing they all have these homemade carts that they wheel around with all their ammo in it as well as it is a rifle/shotgun rack and most have back-ups for ALL of their firearms.

I'll see if I can get a few pics up of the match and the carts if you want Tango.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Yankeefan, can you ask your uncle if there are any full power matches or blackpowder matches in this area?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Getting dressed up for it seems too much for me.

That's funny, you apparently haven’t been to a PR match at Tri-County…

The Cowboy thing seems cool to me, but it’s another thing on a growing list; I can barely keep up with Sped Steel and a few PR matches.

The ARPC also has a big cowboy action following. Actually they and IPSC throw a lot of weight around there as to who is going to do what and how. I’ve shown up there a few times in the afternoon when they’re supposed  to be done for the day and seen all the old guys dressed up in all their round up gear heading to their Hondas (kinda funny to see actually). One of em even shoots Speed Steel with us to get in some practice before the big gunfight the next day. If I ever get around to I would like to try it, but it is low on the list of priorities. As I understand it, the two biggest things for noobs is now baseball caps and no tennis shoes.

So I have heard.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yankeefan, can you ask your uncle if there are any full power matches or blackpowder matches in this area?  

Sure, but what do you mean by "full power"? He lives in Milton Freewater, Or but gets around to a lot of the matches all over the state. Also try this site Single Action Shooting Society . They have A LOT of info that will answer a lot of your question about the evnts. They even have a gear section and even patterns for the wife to sew up stuff to wear. BTW, the cowby hat just might be the most expensive piece of costume for the activity. I looked and couldn't believe how much those things cost.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#11]
You're allowed to shoot cowboys?  COOOOLLLLLL!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top