Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 2:03:38 PM EDT
I'm looking for a gunsafe that can hold about 8-10 rifles and the cheaper the better.  If anyone knows about a used one for sale or a place to get a new one for cheap I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:19:51 PM EDT
[#1]
8-10...

Wal-Mart, Bi-Mart have the cheapest safes. But, be warned about the 8-10 "rating" on the safes. Those are for thin non-scoped hunting rifles. You put on a scope/pistol grip, etc. You'll have problems fitting 8 guns into a 8-gun safe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey WS4LIF- are you mad that I'm looking for a safe and not a purse?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Bi-mart has had there 14-gun ssafe on sale for $299.  I picked one up and really like it.  You could probably cram 8 in there, but it will take some careful maneuvering.  I have 5.5 in there now and it took a little angling, but there a 26" shotgun, 18" shotgun barrel, 16" AR w/ red dot, 26" Savage, 20" 10/22 and another AR lower half.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Hey WS4LIF- are you mad that I'm looking for a safe and not a purse

I'm not mad, I have two safes so nanananana!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Sportsmans Warehouse on 82nd in portland has a good selection (atleast 10 large gunsafes last time I checked, starting around 70 dollars for those cheezy 5 rifle ones up into the thousands)

Another good place to check (depending on season sometimes) is Wal-Mart.  Last I went to Wal-Mart they had 1 safe for sale, time before they had 4 varietys.  I think it varies based on stock but worth a look if price is a concern.

Maybe just give sportsmanswarehouse.com a call and ask :D  Save some gas!
List of sportsmans warehouses in oregon below;
http://sportsmanswarehouse.com/stores_all.htm#or

My dads safe is probably 800 pounds without anything in it, holds like 30 rifles/shotguns and 15+ pistols.  Maybe just save up a bit longer and get something thatll last a lifetime!  (If anyone breaks in and trys to steal without the key, nothings going anywhere!)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#8]
How much do you want to spend?

I got one from Patriot Safes..

I got the protector, $1199 delivered.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I just picked up the 14 gun safe at bi-mart a couple weeks ago also.  I like but agree once you start adding scopes and stuff it fills up quick.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just picked up the 14 gun safe at bi-mart a couple weeks ago also.  I like but agree once you start adding scopes and stuff it fills up quick.

I am keeping mine upstairs so I have to worry about floor loading and such.

As a result I got a 31-gun cabinet. Not that secure, but it's what I can do.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Try GI Joes in the Portland area. I know they have safes at a couple hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
one of those homak 20 ga steel cabinet for about $80 is probably the best interim solution.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
one of those homak 20 ga steel cabinet for about $80 is probably the best interim solution.

That's basically what I got, but bigger. The only place I have enough floor loading is the garage. So...extra super security, or rusted guns...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:52:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Any modern house can handle the weight of a safe on a second floor.  Think of the large aqauriums.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any modern house can handle the weight of a safe on a second floor.  Think of the large aqauriums.

You mean the aquarium that dented, cracked, and leaked on my main floor from the previous owners?

Yeah.

I'm sure I could but I don't trust it. 600 pounds in 1.5sf is not what I had in mind.

Realisitically the floor could proably handle 600-1000 pounds of live local load. Add in 150-200 pounds of ammo, 100 pounds of rifle, 550 pounds of safe....

Well, you get the idea.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]

You mean the aquarium that dented, cracked, and leaked on my main floor from the previous owners?

I think it's time to move out:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

www.friedmanarchives.com/British%20Columbia/images/Shack%20-%20vertical%208x10%20300%20dpi.jpg

I'm planning to within about 3-4 years.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info everyone(Except WS4LIF who is a purse wearing waste of bandwidth)

I have looked at the $80 dollar ones by StackOn but they seem way too weak.  
As for how many guns I only have 3 rifles 1 shotgun and a pistol right now so an 8-10 gun safe is what I'm after.  If anyone has a lead on a used one I think that would work out best for me and I'd really appreciate any info on one.  I think I could spend about 300-400 dollars right now.  Maybe more if it was a really good deal.

And yes WS I know you have way more guns than me and I can't wait for your next witty jpeg to be posted
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Go to Bi-Mart, pay the $5 lifetime membership fee, this also gets you $2 off at gun shows.

Pick up a Sentry Safe, for $400 you might be able to get the one with the electronic lock if its on sale.   They are heavy and built well.   Bi-Mart will load it into your vehicle too.

See, no witty pic
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#20]
That actually sounds like a pretty darn good deal.  Plus 2 bucks off at the fun show with a BiMart card? Thats cool.  Thanks man.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Go to Bi-Mart, pay the $5 lifetime membership fee, this also gets you $2 off at gun shows.

Pick up a Sentry Safe, for $400 you might be able to get the one with the electronic lock if its on sale.   They are heavy and built well.   Bi-Mart will load it into your vehicle too.

See, no witty pic

+1 on the Bi-Mart safes.  They aren't bad especially for the price.  For the $2 off they want a card per person.  I use the bathroom passoff method: get your ticket, have friend waiting near bathroom, pass off the card, and you all saved $2.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

See, no witty pic

+1 on the Bi-Mart safes.  They aren't bad especially for the price.  For the $2 off they want a card per person.  I use the bathroom passoff method: get your ticket, have friend waiting near bathroom, pass off the card, and you all saved $2.  

I use the buy all the tix at once and we all save $2.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Just a thought, but you might also look into a truck/jobsite box like a Knaack box or Jobox.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Just dont forget your dri-z-air or whatever!

Went to Bi-Mart today, they had a few safes.  Nothing I would pay 300-400 for, especially when your rifles cost that much alone.  (None of the thick walled safes)

This was the one on woodstock or very near to it and I went in the morning they may have moved stuff around I dunno.   Ill have to check again tomorrow or something!  (they did have 3 varietys but the thick walled one was well over 400 and the other 2 were only 1-3mm thick, the kind when you nuckle rap it makes the klang noise)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm looking for a gunsafe that can hold about 8-10 rifles and the cheaper the better.  If anyone knows about a used one for sale or a place to get a new one for cheap I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Not sure if you found one yet, but I just picked up a Sentry 10-gun safe w/ combo lock from Bi-Mart.  Regular price on it was $329.77 But they are on sale for $249.77

The ad says while quantities last.

They aren't as fancy as my bigger safe, but it looks like at least .1875" steel construction, with 3-dead bolts on one side of the door, and 3-locking live bolts on the other, concealed hinges, and reinforcement around the lock to make it harder for anyone to drill through.  The interior is fully carpeted, too.   Weighs about 223 lbs, so it won't break through your floor either.  

Just thought I'd give you a head's up on it, if you are still looking.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

www.friedmanarchives.com/British%20Columbia/images/Shack%20-%20vertical%208x10%20300%20dpi.jpg

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:19:59 PM EDT
[#27]
www.rhinosafe.com
I got the Big Horn 600ML.  It's worked out well so far, very stout and it's fire-rated.  There's a guy up in Scappoose that sells it for $700, and a smaller one for $600.  He posts on craigslist all the time.  Once in a while there's some used deals on craigslist too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the link to Rhino...does the guy in Scappoose provide for delivery/installation?  

ETA: nevermind I found his ad and emailed him myself.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Bi-mart has a few of their's on sale now.It was in today's add in the Oregonian. The 14 gun and 10 gun Sentry safes and a 10 gun cabinet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top