Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2005 2:42:46 PM EDT
When me and the family move to oregon do we have to register our weapons with the local police department or anything special. We will be making a drive from texas to oregon and I wasnt sure about the laws. I will be bringing a couple AR's,shotgun and several pistols. Do I just bring them and dont worry about it or ?
Thanks
Brian
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have to do anything.  Anything that is legal in Cali is legal here.  There is no registration.

I'll be the first to tell you:  WELCOME TO OREGON!

ETA: Where ya movin' to?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
When you move to Oregon, you need to stop by every AR15.com member's house to let them demo your stuff!

Prompt is right. Nothing needed. We do not have firearms registrations here (aside from anything federally mandated like NFA items).

We also do not have storage requirements like California. Obviously safer is better for a family situation, but you're not having to go out and buy a Cali DOJ approved safe right away.

As far as transport, the universal rule should be guns in a locked capartment separate from the cabin of the car (i.e. trunk). Ammo stored separately. If you're pulled over, you may have to declare your weapons in the car as nearly the first thing out of your mouth (I'm not sure on other state laws).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
bwahahahaha*   Texans from Kali?    Ya-all are welcome here bring everything including your full auto stuff.....  And if you don't have any f/a stuff it's time to start buyin.....

*Well it sounds funny to me....  But what do I know?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, Me and the wifes next trip is going to be to portland area to check out the jobs there and we will look within 60 miles from there for a house. We have really been taking our time with the move. We both do not want to live in the city. We what to have country senery around us. We first checked out meadford,grantspass,eugene, bend, next will be springfield then up to portland on the same trip. At that point we will make a decision where to find a rental and look for work then buy a house. So its a long damm proccess. We moved to texas to california but have to go to texas to handle some family business and pick up my weapons that have been collection dust for over a year. I have had dual residence for years. I do have a family member " father: who wants to give me a registered assualt rifle in california. Do you all know if I need to do anything special with that one. Its registered with the DOJ. Can I just pick it up and bring that one to or should that go through a FFL. I dont want him to have any issues.

Brian

quote]Quoted:
Don't have to do anything.  Anything that is legal in Cali is legal here.  There is no registration.

I'll be the first to tell you:  WELCOME TO OREGON!

ETA: Where ya movin' to?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, I wish we had some full auto toys. I was just talking to the wife last night about how it would be a great investmint to purchase some. She agreed that it would be a good idea as long as I figure out the funds for it. So yes, We will want to get into the full auto toys. I hope one of you all will help guide us with our first purchase..LOL
Brian

Quoted:
bwahahahaha*   Texans from Kali?    Ya-all are welcome here bring everything including your full auto stuff.....  And if you don't have any f/a stuff it's time to start buyin.....

*Well it sounds funny to me....  But what do I know?

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoted:
Grants Pass still, or further up north?

Oh and as far as your guns, you'll have to drop them by my house to make sure they are all OK to have here in OR, I insist on a 90day trial period

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Brian, Welcome to Oregon.

I’m a Broker with RE/MAX in Salem, if there is anything I can do to help your family find a new home here in Oregon, just let me know. I am happy to help and can always use more business (more ammo).

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Your dad will have to come to oregon to give you the rifle.  Transferring it in CA is a big no-no.  I imagine he will then have to inform the DOJ that he sold it out of state.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, Me and the wifes next trip is going to be to portland area to check out the jobs there and we will look within 60 miles from there for a house. We have really been taking our time with the move. We both do not want to live in the city. We what to have country senery around us.

If at all possible, stay away from the Portland area, at least an hours drive away.

Traffic in and around Portland during rush hour has no advantages over LA and is frequently worse, often much much worse. Other times of the day, other than midnight to 6am is the worst of any area I have ever seen. Don't be fooled, it's LA (at its worst) with trees.

I used to have a couple Army friends back in the 1980s. They considered the whole northern half of the state to be a wasteland. That was twenty years ago! While they were not 100% correct, Portlanders are laying waste to everything within commuting distance at an alarming pace. Better to be at least a couple of hours away and just visit when you want to.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the info, Damm, I was hoping he could just transfer it through a dealer. That will just give him an excuse to come visit us then.
Thanks

Quoted:
Your dad will have to come to oregon to give you the rifle.  Transferring it in CA is a big no-no.  I imagine he will then have to inform the DOJ that he sold it out of state.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Traffic in and around Portland during rush hour has no advantages over LA and is frequently worse, often much much worse. Other times of the day, other than midnight to 6am is the worst of any area I have ever seen. Don't be fooled, it's LA (at its worst) with trees.

I have not been to LA yet but wanted to say that Portland traffic is better than Seattle traffic. The only traffic I see that comes close is going north out of town in the evenings. I will NOT live in Vancouver or anywhere north of the river.

The only other large metro area I've lived that has a lot of traffic is Detroit. Of course, there you have bumper to bumper traffic going 75 MPH rather than 35-45.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I love it when people complain about the traffic here. There isn't hardly any here.

Seattle is much worse, Dallas was worse, Washington D.C. was worse. I've been enjoying myself here. In fact, going across town from Hillsboro to Gresham-ish I never get stuck in traffic...even from 4:00pm to 6:30pm.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
thanks for the info, Damm, I was hoping he could just transfer it through a dealer. That will just give him an excuse to come visit us then.
Thanks

Quoted:

Transferring it through a dealer to a buyer out of CA is OK, but he just can't transfer it to another person while in CA.  Basically, YOU can't take possession of it in CA.  It also can never go back to CA
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In fact, going across town from Hillsboro to Gresham-ish I never get stuck in traffic...even from 4:00pm to 6:30pm.

Are you on the bicycle trails?  

Of course that is opposite the main direction (until you get to Portland) that time of day. Just try that at 8:30am. Even the backroad shortcuts I used in the 80's are traffic jams these days. It went from pasture to thousands of houses, condos, and apts.

Then there was that Sunday shoot that took forever to get home from. Hwy26 was idle slow for most of the trip home.  That was not fun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]
That's why I bought a house 2 miles from my work...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In fact, going across town from Hillsboro to Gresham-ish I never get stuck in traffic...even from 4:00pm to 6:30pm.

Are you on the bicycle trails?  

Of course that is opposite the main direction (until you get to Portland) that time of day. Just try that at 8:30am. Even the backroad shortcuts I used in the 80's are traffic jams these days. It went from pasture to thousands of houses, condos, and apts.

Then there was that Sunday shoot that took forever to get home from. Hwy26 was idle slow for most of the trip home.  That was not fun.

I think you just need to go complete hermit and move out to the sticks. Go in to town once a month to load up at the grocer's.

"That there's Old Man Bobby. He owns that falling down barn 10 miles outside of town past the burned out church. Now boys, don't you be messin' with him. People say he's a crack shot and will shoot anything that jumps over his fence...human or 'yote."

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

DAMMM 2.1 MILES....But only 3 stop signs(I usually roll thru) and sometimes, I will never see another car......eitherway!
CH
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DAMMM 2.1 MILES....But only 3 stop signs(I usually roll thru) and sometimes, I will never see another car......eitherway!
CH

I live 2.4 miles. I have 2 stop signs and 5 stop lights.

I usuall don't see other cars either. All I see are people in my way!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top