Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2005 8:52:40 AM EDT
I live in Utah but much of my family has located to the Sweet Home and Lebanon area. I currently have a Utah permit but Oregon does not seem to recognize any other states permits. I am more than willing to take the Oregon class if this will let me get a permit but some of the stuff I have read makes it sound like one has to be a resident of Oregon or one of the neighboring states to get a permit.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me??

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.packing.org/state/oregon/

Try this site.  Hope that helps shed a little more light on it.

Good luck, Slo
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like no.

ORS 166.291 (8) "The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need."

Non-resident permits may only be issued to residents of the contiguous states of California, Washington, Nevada and Idaho
and then on a discretionary basis.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
And that is what pisses me off about Oregon's CCW laws.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on your family, etc. you MAY be able to claim residency in Oregon. But then that would be a tad on the "unethical" side. I've NEVER done that! *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink*.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Depending on your family, etc. you MAY be able to claim residency in Oregon. But then that would be a tad on the "unethical" side. I've NEVER done that! *hint* *hint* *wink* *wink*.

If you've got a resident CHL, you have to have state-issued ID that matches the address on the CHL.

Weird requirement, but it's how it is.  If you're packing, and all you have in your pocket is your CHL, and no Oregon Driver's License or ID card, you're packing illegally.

Just want to make sure nobody gets nailed for it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's all???

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's all???

Well...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The amazing thing is that Oregon reciprocates with nobody, and yet, there are about 10 states that reciprocate with Oregon.

Count ourselves lucky that these other states are willing to see that it is the state gov that is stupid, and not the people with the permits.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#9]
So what are the open carry laws like in Oregon? What are the laws on travleing with a gun in your car? I assume a gun in a case with ammo in a different case is okay?

Steve
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
As far as I know and from what I understand, open carry is legal except in Portland (Multnomah County, maybe?!?!).  I never go to Portland, so I am not sure.  And I never open carry anyway...

In a car, if it is out of sight, you have to have ammo and gun separate and out of reach of the driver.  In sight, it can be loaded.  But I would be careful, the knowledge that you have a gun is a powerful tool to someone you might piss off while driving.  All they have to do is say that you pointed it at them and you will be getting a lawyer...

Locked container for the gun hidden in the car is best.

Also, in Oregon, there are times when anyone can carry concealed.  To and from a shooting range, to and from hunting, while transporting weapons for a commercial gun shop, and there are a couple more.  But again, you are going to have to prove yourself.  Not worth the hassle...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So what are the open carry laws like in Oregon? What are the laws on travleing with a gun in your car? I assume a gun in a case with ammo in a different case is okay?

Steve

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle

(2) This section does not prohibit:
                    (3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.

(I snipped a lot of the ordinaces just to keep from spamming tons of text here, please be sure to read ORS 166)

I'm pretty sure city's have the authority to regulate open carry. Portland and Beaverton I believe restrict it. But since you passing through so many citys its kind of "risky".

Also, in Oregon, there are times when anyone can carry concealed. To and from a shooting range, to and from hunting, while transporting weapons for a commercial gun shop, and there are a couple more. But again, you are going to have to prove yourself. Not worth the hassle...

166.260 Persons not affected by ORS 166.250. (1) ORS 166.250 does not
apply to or affect:

(b) Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or
while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.

(easy enough to get a fishing license? carry some tackle on uhh your trip to go fishing)

Ive used this to CC while going to/from a fishing trip, with a fishing license/permit in wallet.

Anyhow, once again, read the ORS's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top