Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 12:11:34 PM EDT
Here's mine about as anti climatic as they come.  I got about a 1/4 of the mile off the highway out at our ranch saw a doe laying in a diversion ditch.  Stuck my scope out the window to take a look at her, she jumped up proceeded by about 5 other deer - in the mix was two bucks.  Two shots, two bucks.

The hubby did gut shoot his!

Both bucks were 2pts on one side, 3 on the other.  Not huge but will fill the freezer.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

I need to get my ass out next season....been 5 years since I've been deer hunting....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I leave for Service Creek in the morning.   Hopefully I'll get to take a shot at something too
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
How do you post a picture of an empty gas tank? Thats all I brought home

The area I had been scouting was CRAWLING with people.

Conrats patty!
CH
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats!!!!! as well. It's been a few years since I've been out. I much prefer Eastern, but work has been such, that I can't plan that far out.

How long of a shot(s)?

Nox
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How do you post a picture of an empty gas tank? Thats all I brought home

The area I had been scouting was CRAWLING with people.

Conrats patty!
CH

I experienced the same, but with it being the first week and all, anywhere close to town is gonna be packed.  

Hell I didn't even see any sign.

ETA We did see a doe and two fawns but it was basically where the logging road met back up with the main road.  

ETA #2 And oh yeah, it poured, hailed, thundered, and sunshined off and on while I was out there.  

ETA #3 Nice deer Patty!  

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#6]
[love country girls]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I leave for Service Creek in the morning.   Hopefully I'll get to take a shot at something too

Is that inbetween Fossil and Spray?  I'll be in Fossil tomorrow helping my Grandfather get his buck. Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that inbetween Fossil and Spray?  I'll be in Fossil tomorrow helping my Grandfather get his buck. Patty

Yup, I go up Alder Creek Rd just past Mule Shoe.    
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, I go up Alder Creek Rd just past Mule Shoe.    

Well good luck, there should be deer up there by golly.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll have my 2 younger freight trains in tow, I'll be lucky to close within 300 yds
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll have my 2 younger freight trains in tow, I'll be lucky to close within 300 yds

How old?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#12]
14 and 15 both boys.   I imagine they'll be better this year.   Last time they were having trouble grasping how to walk quietly in loose terrain like those hills always are.   Both are decent shots though and with .270s they should be able to reach out a good distance.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:12:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
14 and 15 both boys.   I imagine they'll be better this year.   Last time they were having trouble grasping how to walk quietly in loose terrain like those hills always are.   Both are decent shots though and with .270s they should be able to reach out a good distance.

a .270 is an excellent rifle for them.  I would be happy to help you with the boys but I suspect at their age, they should be a lot of help.  I could bring my daughter but she's the same age and something tells me that won't help. Patty
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh they'd definitely notice your daughter

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.   If you happen to pass by mule shoe rec area (right off hwy 19) and see a tan F350 with crappy paint and an even crappier camper stop by and say hi.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here's mine about as anti climatic as they come.  I got about a 1/4 of the mile off the highway out at our ranch saw a doe laying in a diversion ditch.  Stuck my scope out the window to take a look at her, she jumped up proceeded by about 5 other deer - in the mix was two bucks.  Two shots, two bucks.

www.fastdirectory.net/pattybuck05i.jpg www.fastdirectory.net/pattybuck05.jpg

Both bucks were 2pts on one side, 3 on the other.  Not huge but will fill the freezer.

Patty

Way to go Patty!!!!!
Should eat real well, besides, you can't eat horns right?

ETA: Finally got the pics from yesterday downloaded.  Here are the two that we got yesterday, I did not do any of the shooting, saving my tag for a trip the last week of season.  Not bad for up the river bucks, taken about 3500' on a drainage of the North Umpqua.  Only saw 3 deer, one spike and these two were feeding on the opposite end of a clearcut we had hiked down into.  Had to pack them out about a mile, not too bad.  The larger of the two is a heavy 3pt almost 16" wide and right at 14 tall.  The smaller is a 3x4 (yes you can hang a ring off of it!) about 15x12.  Typical bucks for what I seem to be able to get  close to and the guys that did the shooting were more than happy to take them.  Not too far, LRF at 236 on the 3pt and the 4pt was around 10yds closer, they were side by side feeding into the timber when I spotted them.  2 shots, 2 dead bucks.

Sorry about the size of the pics
One of both of them

My son holding both of them (you'd of thought they were both his he was so excited!)

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Should have edited the above before anyone notices, the tags are with the meat at the cooler.
Just incase any legal nazi's start to become asshats....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:08:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice deer!  We just need to find a better place to go.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.fastdirectory.net/pattybuck05i.jpg www.fastdirectory.net/pattybuck05.jpg

Patty

Way to go Patty!!!!!
Should eat real well, besides, you can't eat horns right?

ETA: Finally got the pics from yesterday downloaded.  Here are the two that we got yesterday, I did not do any of the shooting, saving my tag for a trip the last week of season.  Not bad for up the river bucks, taken about 3500' on a drainage of the North Umpqua.  Only saw 3 deer, one spike and these two were feeding on the opposite end of a clearcut we had hiked down into.  Had to pack them out about a mile, not too bad.  The larger of the two is a heavy 3pt almost 16" wide and right at 14 tall.  The smaller is a 3x4 (yes you can hang a ring off of it!) about 15x12.  Typical bucks for what I seem to be able to get  close to and the guys that did the shooting were more than happy to take them.  Not too far, LRF at 236 on the 3pt and the 4pt was around 10yds closer, they were side by side feeding into the timber when I spotted them.  2 shots, 2 dead bucks.

Sorry about the size of the pics
One of both of them
tinypic.com/e7ypvb.jpg

My son holding both of them (you'd of thought they were both his he was so excited!)
tinypic.com/e7yqg7.jpg

Nice bucks!  w00t!  Cute little guy too!  Patty
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice bucks!  I'm jealous.

Spambo
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Patty:  Great Bucks and Great Pictures

Spambo
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks Sambo.  Mr45auto how'd your hunt go?  My grandfather went deerless so I'm going back out with him.

Patty
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I am going out again Tuesday morning, early.  Have some better places in mind so here's to getting a deer.  

ETA BTW petagunner, I like that big "O" on your truck.  Go Ducks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Trucks green with the yellow "O" on it, just the way I like it.  Too bad one of my best buds is a beaver....not that I dont like beaver
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Going out on my first hunt ever in two weeks.  Headed out towards LaPine for a controlled muzzleloader hunt.  Been stealing venison for years from my parents.  Figured it was about time I learned how to bring some home on my own.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Good Luck Dave!  Should be some nice mule deer in the LaPine area.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thanks Sambo.  Mr45auto how'd your hunt go?  My grandfather went deerless so I'm going back out with him.

Patty

Just got back, no bux for us

Saw multiple bucks while out.    Unfortunately not on my sister's property.   A neighboring property had 2 nice bucks just standing there asking us to shoot them but without permission to go on the other property I'm not gonna do it.     Up the road there's a ranch that also had a couple nice ones we could take but again, no permission.    Unfortunately our property was barren of anything but a couple does.    I'll be back up there with the boys next Mon/Tue to give it a last try.   Fossil unit was giving alot of people nice bucks this year, just not us.  

Maybe we really do suck at this
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]
ah that's too bad, did you have a good time with your boys?  Patty PS My Grandfather never got his buck either.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Good time with the boys,  since we're going back next week I'm going to check with Big Sarvice and see how much they get for their cabins, my old camper is a POS

We havent given up just yet we'll see how it goes the last few days of the season.   Hopefully we'll get something.   If not I've at least got a 645A tag to fill a couple weeks out.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I heard him calling in a doe from a nearby valley. I quietly made my way up the side of the valley I was in, went prone, edged up the the presipice, and peered over the crest of the valley's edge into a clearing below. The buck stood with his back to me about 500m below, oblivious to my existence. I slowly drew my Kabar from its sheeth and secured it in my teeth. In my right hand I firmly grasped my H&K .45 USP Tactical. I slowly inched my way down into the valley, painfully avoiding loose branches and soil. I crawled towards him from his six o'clock until I was within 50m. I reached out in front of me, slowly grabbing a small, dry twig I was sure would make a loud crack. I grasped the twig firmly in my hand, then quickly clenched my fist. *SNAP* In an instant, the buck's head swung around towards me. At the same time, I lept to my feet, grabbed the Kabar from my teeth and hurled it at the startled Buck. With the knife in mid-flight, I took off into a dead sprint, right arm outstretched, firing at the buck as it began to bolt. Somewhere between rounds 5 and 9, I scored a lethal hit.

Actually I found the skull on the ground near Dorena Lake on an FTX. I strapped it to my ruck and carried it around the rest of the day. I don't actually own a H&K.... or a Kabar for that matter. It makes for a better story though...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#30]
yes, diffinately a better story.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#31]
nah........Patty wins......at least she has blood on her pants!!!  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Saw multiple bucks while out.    Unfortunately not on my sister's property.   A neighboring property had 2 nice bucks just standing there asking us to shoot them but without permission to go on the other property I'm not gonna do it.     Up the road there's a ranch that also had a couple nice ones we could take but again, no permission.    Unfortunately our property was barren of anything but a couple does.    

Wanna bet they have salt licks on their property and you don't?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
..........Actually I found the skull on the ground near Dorena Lake on an FTX. I strapped it to my ruck and carried it around the rest of the day...............

Ummmmmmmmm, not the safest thing to do.
BTW, Patty, you need some new pants, ASAP!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saw multiple bucks while out.    Unfortunately not on my sister's property.   A neighboring property had 2 nice bucks just standing there asking us to shoot them but without permission to go on the other property I'm not gonna do it.     Up the road there's a ranch that also had a couple nice ones we could take but again, no permission.    Unfortunately our property was barren of anything but a couple does.    

Wanna bet they have salt licks on their property and you don't?

Actually.............I've tried salt licks, varios styles, flavers, ect., "deer co-cain", "Beast Feast", and all the other BS. I've found NOTHING that these deer will eat, other than hay and rose bushs.

The only thing that seems to really get the deer to go to an area is to dig a pond, they like water, I guess.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:31:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..........Actually I found the skull on the ground near Dorena Lake on an FTX. I strapped it to my ruck and carried it around the rest of the day...............

Ummmmmmmmm, not the safest thing to do.
BTW, Patty, you need some new pants, ASAP!

You should have seen them by the time I got them off that afternoon.  I had to drag that buck down a hill and I wasn't strong enough to just grab a horn and drag, I had to hold a horn in each hand and pull him backwards down the hill.  This made his head flop side to side.  Then wwhen I was helping my husband gut him out I sat on his chest and held him up and his hips out so David could hack saw the hip bone apart, that was a mess.  Then I Helped David wash down his buck that he gut shot [it was a mess] and got water sprayed on me.  Yep, those pants are toast.  But as you can see [with holes in the knees and etc] they weren't my best pair!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

img373.imageshack.us/img373/2420/skull9ih.jpg

I strapped it to my ruck and carried it around the rest of the day.

Dude, get you some surveyor's ribbon next time.  I personally don't like to read about folks that shot some "CAMO'D" up deer that was walking around backwards in the woods, if ya know what I mean
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I gotta admit I really I mean REALLY wanted to shoot those deer I saw off the property.   If my sons werent with me I dont know if I could have resisted.   I try to teach the kids to do the right thing, dammit anyhow.   I wish I were more of a disrespectful a*hole and just shot the damned deer.    Those were really  nice bucks.....  

Unfortunately I respect private property and the rights of the owners to restrict access.  

Dammit!

I guess I'll take the camera and shoot photos of em, it's better than nothing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Just got back, no bux for us

Saw multiple bucks while out.    Unfortunately not on my sister's property.   A neighboring property had 2 nice bucks just standing there asking us to shoot them but without permission to go on the other property I'm not gonna do it.     Up the road there's a ranch that also had a couple nice ones we could take but again, no permission.    Unfortunately our property was barren of anything but a couple does.    I'll be back up there with the boys next Mon/Tue to give it a last try.   Fossil unit was giving alot of people nice bucks this year, just not us.  

Maybe we really do suck at this

Did ya try calling the neighboring folks yet?  You might even try offering them a smal tresspass fee, I've gained permission a few times just by offering them $200 or 250 to hunt for a few days.

Just a thought.  Damn, I'd sure like to read about your boys and yourself smacking a couple of big ol' mulies!

Me on the other hand, still waiting on the last week of general over here, can't come soon enough.
But, I am sick of cutting meat already!  I really need to start taking friends who can gut, skin, quarter, bone AND CUT UP THIER OWN DAMN DEER!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Most of the property owners dont live on the property or I'd ask for permission.

I've got a plan though for next week, we should take one on the property.   I want my oldest to take the shot, he's 15 and needs to get the kill.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Where's your tags at 45auto?  We have a 250 quarter section in the Fossil Unit that wasn't hunted.  I'd love to help your boy taste blood er...tenderloins.  Patty
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Where's your tags at 45auto?  We have a 250 quarter section in the Fossil Unit that wasn't hunted.  I'd love to help your boy taste blood er...tenderloins.  Patty

I've got a 145 tag in the Fossil unit.   I'd appreciate any help on that
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All right, I have to run to the ranch tomorrow and I'll scout and see if we have any deer around the quarter section.  It hasn't been touched for a few years so it could be pretty good.  We're not talking monster bucks though [just forked horns like I have above].

IM me a phone number and I'll give you a range report.

Patty
PS no offense but please write out something that excludes me from liability or my husband will have a conipion fit [sp?]

Patty
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All right, I have to run to the ranch tomorrow and I'll scout and see if we have any deer around the quarter section.  It hasn't been touched for a few years so it could be pretty good.  We're not talking monster bucks though [just forked horns like I have above].

IM me a phone number and I'll give you a range report.

Patty
PS no offense but please write out something that excludes me from liability or my husband will have a conipion fit [sp?]

*ETA* also lets plan on meeting late afternoon.  That'll give you time to check your spot out.  I'm about 20 miles from Condon.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Cool, I'll get on it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#45]
ya,
Nice deers Patty and Petagunner. I cant wait to move out there.
Brian
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img373.imageshack.us/img373/2420/skull9ih.jpg

I strapped it to my ruck and carried it around the rest of the day.

Dude, get you some surveyor's ribbon next time.  I personally don't like to read about folks that shot some "CAMO'D" up deer that was walking around backwards in the woods, if ya know what I mean

Yea that all crossed my mind. It was an FTX and we were doing STX training, so we dropped rucks at every lane. I was with a very large group, so we had the area pretty well saturated with people. No way a hunter could have wondered in without knowing something was amiss. It's pretty difficult to to not hear an artillery simulator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top