Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 11:02:59 PM EDT
SPEED STEEL at Tri-County Sunday, October 2

For all you guys in the Portland area or who are shooting the PR matches, ya’ll ought to come out and try Speed Steel.

It’s much more laid back than things like IPSC, but it’s still competitive and a ton-o-fun. Like the title says, it’s steel, no paper targets, all steel plates. Shoot em as fast as you can. I’ve been doing it since last April down in Albany and am completely hooked, the tri-county shoot just gives me one more time to shoot per month.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Is this for rifles?

FAL friendly?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
pistols.

www.orss.org/

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Speed Steel is a blast.  Once you start shooting, you can't stop.  You start with your hands above shoulders and then on the start signal engage all of the steel (8 -20 yards) standing in a box, then shooting the stop plate.  Its usually less then 10 rounds, so a single stacker or production shoot can be competitive.  It looks easy, is easy to learn, fun to shoot, but hard to master....there is always somebody faster than you are.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#4]
ch139 pulled me out one day to try this and I had a blast. I haven't had the opportunity to do it again, but I hopefully will soon.

Only problem was I just blew through all the ammo I just bought, so I'm gonna have to get some more before Speed Steel starts
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ch139 pulled me out one day to try this and I had a blast. I haven't had the opportunity to do it again, but I hopefully will soon.

Only problem was I just blew through all the ammo I just bought, so I'm gonna have to get some more before Speed Steel starts

That’s what student loans are for.

ETA: he had a good time cuz he kicked everybody’s arss at the game his first time out. But seriously kids, Speed Steel is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is this for rifles?

FAL friendly?

Sorry, pistols only.

The PR match is where you want to take that FAL.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#7]
What's a typical course of fire? How many rounds?

Nox
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#8]

What stuff do you have to bring and what time is it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What's a typical course of fire? How many rounds?

Nox

Six stages, you can shoot each one five times. Of those five you throw out the worst time and your score for that stage is the lowest four added together. On each stage you not need to make more than six hits. If you’re good (I’m not) that’s 6 stages times 5 runs times six rounds per run… that 180 rounds.

For ammo, it all depends on how much you miss.

I’m shooting a revolver so I’ll probably not go through 200-rounds. When I shoot my Glock 17 I tend to shoot up about 250-rounds (I get careless with 17-roud mags).

Quoted:
What stuff do you have to bring and what time is it?

Starts at 9AM. I’ll probably be there 8:30-8:45.

Pistol, ammo, mags, holster if you have one. You’ll run each stage five times if you’re shooting an autoloader (bottomfeeder) it helps to have five mags (one for each run). If not, someone can reload for you as you shoot.

-Chris
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
dude... did you guys even look at that link I posted?  

www.orss.org/

link at the bottom called "courses"
www.orss.org/courses/crs.html

target types, location, size, distance - they are all out there...

You need a hand gun, about 150 - 200 rounds of ammo, a belt holster (I think no paddle holsters are allowed), having 5 mags is helpful too.  

you shoot each stage  5 times x 5 stages x 5 targets per stage.  You shoot from a box so there is no moving involved.  guns are cleared and bagged between stages...  you can also holster between stages.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Belt holster? On your pants belt or a gunbelt?

What range is it held on?

Is there a sign up fee?

Does bagging the gun mean you have to bring a case?

How long does it last?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:11:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Belt holster? On your pants belt or a gunbelt?

whatever you can draw from...  the no paddle holster rule is because someone drew their entire gun and holster at some point in time

What range is it held on?
in the action pistol pits

Is there a sign up fee?
I think the match is 10 or 12, but is has been a couple years...  1st time shooters used to be free.

Does bagging the gun mean you have to bring a case?

it is a cold range and you can't point your gun at anyone...  so a case is a good idea.  "bag or holster" when not on the line.

How long does it last?
usually 1/2 day.  +/- depending on crowd size, weather, set-up,tear down, etc.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
dude... did you guys even look at that link I posted?  

www.orss.org/

link at the bottom called "courses"
www.orss.org/courses/crs.html

target types, location, size, distance - they are all out there...

Nope.  Had a brain fart and didn't notice it. My bad.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you’re good (I’m not) -Chris

You are lucky your name is not Pinnochio!

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I miss much faster than I hit…
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I miss much faster than I hit…

If that was all it took be tops every month I would be world champion...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top