Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 1:33:18 AM EDT
Got some friends coming into town and they requested the best pizza shack around here...

Suggestions?

Thanks
-Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:16:36 AM EDT
[#1]
My two favorites........

Nicholas.......thay used to have a shop in Gresham that closed up, the only one around now is in St. Johns.....over buy the Freddy's on Lombard.  Rocco's downtown is almost identical, in fact I think the owners are cousins.

Flying Pie on Stark.........need I even explain why?  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Anything on the WESTSIDE?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I second Flying Pie Pizza.

Otherwise for day-to-day pizza it's the usual Papa Murphy's.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]
When dining out, it doesn't matter what my guests ask for, they get steak at the acropolis.  For some reason they never complain.

j/k.

I'm a family guy so I go to the Silver Dollar so the kids can have fun and I drink as many pitchers as I can before one of them gets hurt and wants to leave.  Silver Dollar pizza may not be that great but it beats the shit out of Chucky Cheese....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#5]
munkalido,

When your at the Acrop, please stop by my table.

Just ask NoAim...........

Nox
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
munkalido,

When your at the Acrop, please stop by my table.

Just ask NoAim...........

Nox

True. For my buddy here...the max drink limit is waived, people come over to talk, Nox whines about Enya getting engaged....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Nonna Emilias in Aloha. Not so great if you like a lot of toppings but their chesse and pepperoni pizzas are the bomb. Flying pie if you like toppings. You have to eat that one with a fork.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anything on the WESTSIDE?

New York New York............just after the Burlingame Freddys.......ha, westside.......pffffft
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Did I hear Acrop?

ARFCOM meet at the ACROP!

I prefer the Beaverton stuff....dolfin2 or stars but hey, can't beat the deals at ACROP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the Flying pie pizzeria.  My favorite pie is the miss piggy (tons of canadian bacon and sausage).  Another good place is Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant at 197th and stark.  Their combo pizza is what I usually get but everything they make is good (same with flying pie).  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I second Flying Pie Pizza.

Otherwise for day-to-day pizza it's the usual Papa Murphy's.

Papa Murphy's? Surely you mean Papa John's. A buzzard wouldn't even eat that Murphy crap. And what's up with all the pizza places here that don't cook the pizza?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Last Flying Pan Pizza that I had just wasn't nearly as good as they used to be. It has been about a year since I had one. They used to be the best locally. I'll for sure second Giuseppe's, but I usually get the Alfrado. I have never had a bad meal there and I have been going there for close to 20 years. It's not classy Italian, it's Hungry Man Italian!

There used to be a place down in Kalamath Falls that had a BJ's Delight. No Aim and I went on a search for the place during July 4th weekend. Couldn't find it. It had 16 toppings, which included shrimp' and weighed over 10 pounds. Back in the early 90's it cost $12. The best pizza I've ever had!!!!

Nox!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nonna Emilias in Aloha. Not so great if you like a lot of toppings but their chesse and pepperoni pizzas are the bomb. Flying pie if you like toppings. You have to eat that one with a fork.

Nonna's is my favorite!  Plus it's real close for me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
In college I used to love to eat at Izzy's.  Is it still as good?  Patty
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
In college I used to love to eat at Izzy's.  Is it still as good?  Patty

I don't think it's as good as it once was......they've turned into a smaller version of Old country buffet... We go there every once in a while, I do tend to forget that they started as a pizza joint.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#16]
BJ's over in Janzten BEach is pretty good. Lots of selection plus lots of beer selection!! They also have this dessert there called a pizzookie. It is a chocolate chip cookie baked in a mini-pizza sized pan and served warm with ice cream and chocolate syrup on top. It is like crack in a pan...at least for us fat guys!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BJ's over in Janzten BEach is pretty good. Lots of selection plus lots of beer selection!! They also have this dessert there called a pizzookie. It is a chocolate chip cookie baked in a mini-pizza sized pan and served warm with ice cream and chocolate syrup on top. It is like crack in a pan...at least for us fat guys!!!

That place was SO much cooler when it was Pietro's Engine House......those old firetrucks were THE SHIZZNITT........personally I think BJ's pizza sucks.....but those Pizzookies are fucking awesome!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:23:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That place was SO much cooler when it was Pietro's Engine House......those old firetrucks were THE SHIZZNITT........personally I think BJ's pizza sucks.....but those Pizzookies are fucking awesome!

I agree Unka-Boo. I was very disappointed when the Pietro's chain went under. Hell the one here in Roseburg is a mexican restaraunt now...and they still have the brass poles.

BTW, I just thought of another decent place for pizza...Old Chicago over on 82nd just north of Sunnyside. Again great beer selection and pretty darn good food too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Papa Murphy's? Surely you mean Papa John's. A buzzard wouldn't even eat that Murphy crap. And what's up with all the pizza places here that don't cook the pizza?

Nope. Papa Murphy's. Why with all the "no-cook" places...it's cheap and hot.

I do like Papa John's as well, although when I'm sharing with others (i.e. Nox) they don't seem to like Mr. Johns.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#20]
BJ's is OK for Chicago deep dish, no thin crust. Great beer though. Try the root beer next time your there, if you're into that. There was someplace I went down on NW 23rd that was OK, Escape from New York. I haven't found really good pizza here. Lots of Kalifornia foo-foo stuff but no good NY style pie. Come to think of it, I haven't even seen Chicago style thin crust.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Flying Pie on Stark.........need I even explain why?  

No need to explain that one....It would be worth the drive from the westside...I drive there from the Couv...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I've only tried Buggati's on Cedar Hills Blvd. once, but it was decent.  It's by the new Cedar Hill Center.  The place is a little Yuppie looking, but it was clean, good service, lots of parking and their "Meat Eater" was good.  Not too much tomato sauce, good crust and lots of toppings.  I' give it a B+ over all.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
BJ's is OK for Chicago deep dish, no thin crust. Great beer though. Try the root beer next time your there, if you're into that. There was someplace I went down on NW 23rd that was OK, Escape from New York. I haven't found really good pizza here. Lots of Kalifornia foo-foo stuff but no good NY style pie. Come to think of it, I haven't even seen Chicago style thin crust.

Escape from New York is OK, but next time try Pizza Oasis on 20th and W. Burnside... The atmosphere is a little funky at times, but great pizza! You can order a whole pizza, or you can do slices with a list of ingredients on the menu... Usually a good selection of beer as well.

I usually go in there when I am in town and create a slice with Chorizzo, Sun Dried Tomato and Roasted Garlic with a pint of Black Butte Porter....

Denicola's over on Powell used to be really good, but don't know if they are even still around.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know what happened to figaros?  they had like 3 portland locations I knew of.  they have all shut down.  theres still one in estacada though...

I like pizza shmizza,  sp?  and pizzacato is pretty good.  both places have a thinner crust though, but the toppings are creative.  

I used to like Rocco's, downtown on burnside across from powells bookstore.   been a while though, not sure how it is now.

im going to try flying pie, its pretty close to me
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:41:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Anyone know what happened to figaros?  they had like 3 portland locations I knew of.  they have all shut down.  theres still one in estacada though...

I like pizza shmizza,  sp?  and pizzacato is pretty good.  both places have a thinner crust though, but the toppings are creative.  

I used to like Rocco's, downtown on burnside across from powells bookstore.   been a while though, not sure how it is now.

im going to try flying pie, its pretty close to me

There's a Figaro's over here in Oregon City still, never heard of flying pie ...where are they?

Never have found a place with particularly outstanding pizza.    All kind of similar to me    Maybe I just dont spend enough money on it
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Flying Pie is like 77th ish and Stark.........right on the corner, I just can't remember the exact street. VERY good if you like toppings.....20lb pizza anyone?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#27]
What if it's the "Dough" you like?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Just bought a flying pie and damned if it wasnt awesome.   Loved it.   Good tip, let's have some more.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Flying Pie
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#30]
see.....................we like pie!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Mmmm...Papa Murphy's Sicilian Deep Dish....feels good IN MAH BELLY! Only $7.99 at your local retailer delivered by those cute high school girls.

Goes even better while you're wathing Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci have a *ahem* tender moment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Silver Dollar on NW 21st over near Cinema 21has killer pizza.  I like them more than flying pie.  But honestly I've never had a really good pizza at flying pie.  every time I've gone there, the middle of the pizza wasn't cooked and the crust had sort of liqufied.  the outside edge was good though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Mmmm...Papa Murphy's Sicilian Deep Dish....feels good IN MAH BELLY! Only $7.99 at your local retailer delivered by those cute high school girls.

Goes even better while you're wathing Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci have a *ahem* tender moment.

Man, if you wanna get your perve on, you need to hit up the Dairy Queen in Gladstone........

[McConnehey] "You know what I like about high-school girls? I keep gettin' older, and they stay the same age......"[/McConnehey]

Horribly paraphrased from Dazed and Confused.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Man, if you wanna get your perve on, you need to hit up the Dairy Queen in Gladstone........

Been there when I used to work in Milwaukie.

That's okay, Nox has a thing for the tattooed single moms. Every single time he starts talking to the gal behind the counter, she mentions "my kid".
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#35]

Poor Nox.......
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:10:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Flying Pie Pizza onStark.

We choose Papa Murphs most times...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#37]
+ another 1 for Flying Pie on Stark.  There is a new one out in Gresham, but it just doesn't feel or taste the same.

Giuseppes out on 179th and Stark is pretty good, too.

If you want pretty good delivery or dine-in, try Bellagio's.

Another one you might try....Denicola's on Powell.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#38]

......... by those cute high school girls.

I'm with you on this one!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Nonnas is tops on my list, but for a damned good pepperoni pie try Ernestos.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
What if it's the "Dough" you like?

Nonna's dough is about an inch thick. Three slices is a meal and four is tummy buster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top