Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 2:37:17 PM EDT
As there are no decent ranges in southern Washington, I'm looking into buying a membership in northern Oregon to do my shooting.

Anyone have anything good, bad or ugly to say about Tri County Gun Club?

Will they let you draw from the holster?

How's the mentality of the patrons? I purchased a membership at PSSTC awhile back but never bothered going a second time due to the Range Nazi attitude and air of superiority they seemed to enjoy projecting.

Basically, I'm just looking for a place with decent folks where I can enjoy the sport and get in some range time practicing a few stationary drills (driving to the hills is getting to be the pits).

Does the Tri County Gun Club fit the bill?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a member of Tri-County and shoot there quite often.  I find most of the range officers to be concerned about safety and willing to point-out any deviations.  They have been very nice to me, but then I usually shoot only black rifles, suppressed high powered rifles, silenced pistols and the like.  They do not allow any 50 BMG rifles and no FA fire.  

I am sure that others will add information on the pratical pistol and rifle desciplines.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If going to join tri county be ready to be there a 6:30 first wed of month that is only time they will even talk to you about membership they are all way to busy and have their own lifes to setup any other time. I was told either call in sick to work or we do not want you period since i work swing shift and yes i went else were.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
For what you want, yes you can do exactly that.  BUTyou have to take the action range / IPSC orientation class (sardinia.globat.com/~tcgc.org/cgi-bin/calendar.pl?view=Event&event_id=219), then you can use the 'tactical' range and draw from a holster and shoot/move.  

The class is the 2nd Saturday of every month...  conflicts with Practical Rifle...  Pisses me off.

Until you take the class, it is paper punching from the bench on the general purpose pistol range.

the biggest minus is that there is currently no shoot on the move area for center fire rifle but you can use pistol caliber carbine in the pistol pits.

And yes, joining is only an option before the monthly meeting.  they're non-profit place run by a bunch of old dudes and that is when they do it...  might not be perfect, but they are one of the only games in town so there ya go.

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I joined a couple of months ago, it's the real deal as far as safe and organized. Before I joined it was suggested that I visit on a Sunday (call ahead) and an RO will give you a tour while he makes his rounds. Check out their website: http://www.tcgc.org/index.htm

Sorry, still haven't figured out hotlinks.

Bottom line: if you're willing to pay for safety and want a range with a lot of different activities, it's a good place. If you want to be a yahoo, go out in the woods.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Do they do IDPA there or just IPSC?

It's sounding like the place for me...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bottom line: if you're willing to pay for safety and want a range with a lot of different activities, it's a good place. If you want to be a yahoo, go out in the woods.

I do both. I personally like poloping down and practicing on my shooting technique. Next Practical Rifle match will be my first, so I'm looking forward to that (note that you don't have to be a member to participate).

Now for being a yahoo and going blasting, well, I still go to the woods.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are willing to drive a little further, the Chehalem Valley Sportsman Club might suit you. The have IPSC competitions and several handgun bays where you can practice pretty much whatever you want so long as you keep your shots in the bay and don't do it on full-auto .

The rifle range is 100yds, with covered shooting positions.

You might not get in this year, there are always a LOT of people wanting to join, but just get your application in early next year if thats the case.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#8]
RANGE NAZI'S!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do they do IDPA there or just IPSC?

It's sounding like the place for me...

I think IPSC only for ranked type stuff.  (I know they had IDPA over at Douglas Ridge a while ago).   there are other competitive things like speed steel, tactical matches, practical rifle, etc.

check out the calendar on the web page to get an idea.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bottom line: if you're willing to pay for safety and want a range with a lot of different activities, it's a good place. If you want to be a yahoo, go out in the woods.hr

I do both. I personally like poloping down and practicing on my shooting technique. Next Practical Rifle match will be my first, so I'm looking forward to that (note that you don't have to be a member to participate).

Now for being a yahoo and going blasting, well, I still go to the woods.

I'm all for practicing techniques, learning new ones in classes, and entering into matches and competitions.

But for fun....nothing beats going out to the dump, up on Lolo Pass, or in the woods and just going blasting.

So.... +1 for being a yahoo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top