Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 11:49:26 PM EDT
I remember a thread on a thunder ranch carbine course.   Anyhow did anyone ever find out how much the no-lead ammo was gonna cost?   Other course related costs?  Just curious how much total I can expect to pay for a 3ish day course.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Envious of you getting to go take the course.

All that’s holding me back is time and money… or was it money and time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Not just yet, I've got to plan out the budgeting for it.    I probably wont be able to schedule till next year.   I've also been looking at the OR firearms academy www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com  It's a bunch cheaper.   I didnt see anything on the schedule for tactical rifle 1&2 though.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#3]
You may want to email Dan Abbott at [email protected] to see when they might schedule their next tactical rifle class.   Dan has always been really good about answering my emails withing 24 hours and usually answers the phone if you call OFA in the evening during the week.  (Otherwise Vivian answers the phone during the day.)

When my wife gave me a OFA gift certificate for xmas last year I was dissapointed that there wasn't a tactical rifle course on their schedule.  I sent Dan an email and he kept me informed about plans to add a class.  A lot of what they schedule is based on demand.  The more often folks ask about a class the more often they offer it.

Best wishes and please let us know what you think of TR if you make it that way.

Cheers,
-Dave
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for OFA
It's closer, for many classes you can drive down and back.
It's more economical, wich means you cantake more classes.
It's a great bunch of guys. I can't say enough about the professionalism of the instructors and their dedication to helping the students learn and improve. Many, if not all, have trained at Thunder Ranch.
TR classes are mostly W-F, OFA are Sat Sun, so you're using less vacation, depending on your days off.
If you've already had some training and are looking to expand your horizons, TR is a good choice.
I'm hoping to make a TR class next year, but there are several OFA classes I still want to get, as well as possibly repeating 1 or 2. And an offshore sailing class. OK, year after next.
I get the impression most classes other than DH 1 & 2, Basic HG Safety and a couple of thers are once a year, especially the 2 day ones. I don't know how you have to schedule Vac. so that could be a problem as there isn't really a yearly schedule.
You may have missed out on a carbine class this year, there was a 2 day last month and it was great. There were atleast 2 other board members there, would ahve enjoyed seeing you there also. Their schedule looks mostly full for the rest of the year, but I'm hoping for a shotgun class and CEOTWK 2.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Heres OFA's forum www.oregonconcealedcarry.com if you dont feel like directly contacting him.

-MrMaeda

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not just yet, I've got to plan out the budgeting for it.    I probably wont be able to schedule till next year.   I've also been looking at the OR firearms academy www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com  It's a bunch cheaper.   I didnt see anything on the schedule for tactical rifle 1&2 though.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I remember a thread on a thunder ranch carbine course.   Anyhow did anyone ever find out how much the no-lead ammo was gonna cost?   Other course related costs?  Just curious how much total I can expect to pay for a 3ish day course.

they have info on thunderranchinc.com about getting lead free ammo.  I'd just contact the vendors and get a couple price quotes.

ammo, plus lodging, plus travel, plus meals.

also, check out www.firearmsacademy.com/ they have a pretty affordable tactical rifle course - one scheduled for October.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Gack has it covered - the ammo isn't that bad. It is getting more and more common. The Hunting Shack has lead free ammo now, I forget exactly how much, but not bad...

Paul
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]
While not completely ontopic about TR.  OFA is an excellent school.  I've trained there 3 times last year, and plan to go back as time allows.  I honestly can't immagine getting any better training anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#9]
hey i could probably help you out with the "green" ammo
it aint cheap though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top