Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:30:38 AM EDT
Didn't want to hijack another thread any more than I have already.

Quoted:
Why on earth would anyone want to pump their own gas?  Its a nightmare.  I think they should have it too so that  you can pay at the pump.  When you have little kids who are asleep in the car, you have to wake them up, drag them in to the station, wrestle with them while you pay.  Horrible.  Who wants to smell like gas all day?

Patty

Patty,

The only people that think this way are those that have little or no experience with self service.  It takes less than five minutes to fill most gas tanks and I have never smelled like gas all day.  This is an example of the myths that have been spread in this state for a long time.  They have been proven time and time again not to be true in examples across most of the United States.

In 48 out of 50 states the population supports self service.  So much so that when full service was offered at a slightly higher price (to cover the attendant) they quickly went out of business because people chose convienence, speed and lower prices over the slight effort of pumping your own.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Own a nice car and then you will NEVER want someone else pumping your gas.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Own a nice car and then you will NEVER want someone else pumping your gas.

I've given up on owning a nice car. Needless to say, my one year old Jeep has had 2 bumpers, a repainted rear door, branch scrapes down each side (almost to the roof), smells like Downy inside (Costco incident), and has a headliner that's falling down.

I figure next off-road vehicle I get, I'll just Line-X the damn thing from the bumper to the hood.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, not being able to pump your own gas is BS.  But this is Oregon.  After living here for
over 30 years there are a few things that Oregonians consistently reject like:

A Sales Tax
  Privately owned Liquor Stores even though the OLCC needs $85M to run a monoply
  Self service Gas

In the last 10 years the Portland area has gotten worse.  Now when I think of the City of
Portland, the following comes to mind: Panhandlers everywhere, Bush bashing, Capitalist
bashing, taxes up the ying yang, lots of $$ to park your car, public transportation that
costs a fortune, liberal ass-clown major, fags....  It's getting worse not better.

If I was single, I would be gone!

Spambo

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, not being able to pump your own gas is BS.  But this is Oregon.  After living here for
over 30 years there are a few things that Oregonians consistently reject like:

A Sales Tax
  Privately owned Liquor Stores even though the OLCC needs $85M to run a monoply
  Self service Gas

Spambo

There's got to be a money connection somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the full service, I go to the penny pincher where they got some hot ass teen aged girl working, then I have her fill all of these 5 gallon cans so I can watch her bend over in her Daisy Dukes. T & A sells!

When ever I go in one of my customs they always offer me to pump myself, they dont want to get sued for messing it up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Being a Commiefornian orginally i can vouch for pumping your own gas... i've been given the go ahead to pump my own gas when i had additives and such to put in..

its not bad at all you dont smell like gas at all pretty much it just shows me that the oregon state goverment finds its populace to be so stuped as to not know how to pump their own gas..

BTW the public transperation system here in PDX is the best i have ever seen and is one of the cheaper ones.. bus fair in LA was about anouther 50 cents on top of what it is here.. but the rest i have to agree with..

JMHO

Jess
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTW the public transperation system here in PDX is the best i have ever seen and is one of the cheaper ones.. bus fair in LA was about anouther 50 cents on top of what it is here.. but the rest i have to agree with..

Yup. I take the MadMax to the airport all the time. All of $1.70, and I can even sleep on the way.

I still like that street parking is free downtown after 6pm.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When ever I go in one of my customs they always offer me to pump myselfwww.xzodus.com/gifs/jerkit.gif, they dont want to get sued for messing it up.

As of a couple of years ago motorcyclist have the legal right to pump their own, but so as not to even give the hint that this could be done by anyone the "fueling professional" has to take the nozzle off the pump and turn it on.  

This law is a disgrace.  If you want someone to pump your gas then fine, but legally stopping me from pumping mine is the height of totalitarianism.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Too slow waiting for monkey to come pump your gas. I'm not competent enough to pump my own gas, but I'm supposed to trust some moron the station won't tust with money not to screw something up? This whole idea is stupid. Where does it come from? There have to be enough people who moved from out of state to get this changed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#10]
It gives a lot of people jobs in a state with a high unemployment rate.  More jobs = better economy.  Full serve is still cheaper than self serve in Kommiefornia.  Why are you all complaining?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It gives a lot of people jobs in a state with a high unemployment rate.  More jobs = better economy.

State supplied employment.  What a concept.

Why don't we outlaw mowing your own grass?  We could use the same arguements for this as at the gas pump; safety, employment, etc.    

Full serve is still cheaper than self serve in Kommiefornia.  Why are you all complaining?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to say, if you don't like it, move!. This is what pisses me off the most about people moving to my state. They move here, and before long, they are trying to change it into where they left. The state was doing just fine 20 years ago. People moving here have messed it all up! And yes, I have lived in many places where you could pump your own gas. I didn't like them, that is why I got out of the AF and moved back home.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have to say, if you don't like it, move!. This is what pisses me off the most about people moving to my state. They move here, and before long, they are trying to change it into where they left. The state was doing just fine 20 years ago. People moving here have messed it all up! And yes, I have lived in many places where you could pump your own gas. I didn't like them, that is why I got out of the AF and moved back home.  

You got out of the Air Force and moved because you had to pump your own gas?

Exactly how long do you have to live somewhere before it's "your" state?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
  -----------------     <--- Ten foot pole
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]
It is the in efficiency that kills me.  I hate sitting there for 15 - 20  min before I even get to the pump as I watch the one or two ex-convict tweaker they have running from pump to pump get enough people gassed up so I can actually get fuel going into my car.  

It has taken me over 30 min just to put gas in my vehicle.  I can eat an entire meal and make 5 phone calls in that time.  I could be spending time with my wife or walking my dog or reading a book or hit the range and confirm the zero on my rifle in the time it takes me to wait and get a tank full of gas.  

total waste of time.

Quoted:
It gives a lot of people jobs in a state with a high unemployment rate.  More jobs = better economy.  Full serve is still cheaper than self serve in Kommiefornia.  Why are you all complaining?

yeah...  great idea.  place laws and restrictions on private businesses with the goal of creating crappy jobs.  great economic model there.  sounds like something an English teacher turned democratic state senator would come up with.

here is a thought, make it less oppressive for businesses to operate here so they actually create jobs.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got out of the Air Force and moved because you had to pump your own gas?

Exactly how long do you have to live somewhere before it's "your" state?

I got out of the Air Force after 20 years of service.

I call it my state because I was born here and grew up here. I appreciate it for what it is and don't want to bring in the "problems" and changes from some of the places I have been. I pisses me off when people move here and say how messed up something we do is and how much better it is where they came from. They want sales tax, they want to pump their own gas, they want AN ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN, They need to take those stupid ideas back where they came from.

Oh. and as for the nice car. I drive a restored '65 Mustang that my Grandmother drove off the showroom floor on Pendleton. It does not bother me to let someone else put gas in it. I just let them know if they mess it up, they wont like what will happen.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It is the in efficiency that kills me.  I hate sitting there for 15 - 20  min before I even get to the pump as I watch the one or two ex-convict tweaker they have running from pump to pump get enough people gassed up so I can actually get fuel going into my car.  

It has taken me over 30 min just to put gas in my vehicle.  I can eat an entire meal and make 5 phone calls in that time.  I could be spending time with my wife or walking my dog or reading a book or hit the range and confirm the zero on my rifle in the time it takes me to wait and get a tank full of gas.  

total waste of time.

Quoted:

yeah...  great idea.  place laws and restrictions on private businesses with the goal of creating crappy jobs.  great economic model there.  sounds like something an English teacher turned democratic state senator would come up with.

here is a thought, make it less oppressive for businesses to operate here so they actually create jobs.

The problem is, most of the opressive buisness laws were made by people who moved here from out of state and didn't want big business to "spoil" the state, they wanted to do it themselves.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I got out of the Air Force after 20 years of service.

I call it my state because I was born here and grew up here. I appreciate it for what it is and don't want to bring in the "problems" and changes from some of the places I have been. I pisses me off when people move here and say how messed up something we do is and how much better it is where they came from. They want sales tax, they want to pump their own gas, they want AN ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN, They need to take those stupid ideas back where they came from.

Oh. and as for the nice car. I drive a restored '65 Mustang that my Grandmother drove off the showroom floor on Pendleton. It does not bother me to let someone else put gas in it. I just let them know if they mess it up, they wont like what will happen.

riiiiiight....  'cause an assault weapons ban and not being forced to have someone just out of prison with an IQ of 65 maneuver a high pressure hose of flammable liquid around your vehicle are even close to the same thing.

you do know New Jersey gave in final, right?  Oregon is the last hold out in the great "pump your own damn gas civil war" and even Alaska, Vermont, and Idaho let you do such crazy liberal things like pump gas...

All the arguments boil down to "because we do it that way around here."

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

After eight years living, working, paying taxes here I've earned the right to call it my state too.  I've also earned the right to question the policies of those that govern "my" state.

You can't support a ban on assault weapons that forces all citizens to conform to the will of the state, but you can support a state law that prohibits those same people from pumping their own gas if they want to?

Pumping my own puts the responsibility of damage on me.  I don't have to have a plan for if or when someone else damages my property.

Remember again, I don't advocate that every one be forced to pump their own.  I advocate having the choice to do so if I desire.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
All the arguments boil down to "because we do it that way around here."

Pretty much.
Just a pet peve of mine. I've seen to many bad changes, rules, and regs in this state that were forced by people from out of state. We used to be a "Red" state. now the small, high population "Blue" areas run the state. The main reason for the blue is people moving in here.

I will get off my soap box now and quit my rant.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You can't support a ban on assault weapons that forces all citizens to conform to the will of the state, but you can support a state law that prohibits those same people from pumping their own gas if they want to?

Remember again, I don't advocate that every one be forced to pump their own.  I advocate having the choice to do so if I desire.  

I actually do hear what you are sayin'. Like I posted above, it is just a pet peve of mine. I have seen so much change, and this is one of the few things that have stayed the same, since I have been gone. 25 years ago, an assult weapons ban would have been laughed out Salem. Now they try seriously to place it on the floor for debate.
Living here and payin' taxes gives you all the same rights as us who were born and raised here. I just wish people would quit tryin' to make this state like the place that they just had to get out of because of the opressive rules. I'm not tryin to make this a personal attack against "outsiders", althought I realize that  I do tend to come off that way sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
riiiiiight....  'cause an assault weapons ban and not being forced to have someone just out of prison with an IQ of 65 maneuver a high pressure hose of flammable liquid around your vehicle are even close to the same thing.

Actually, in my mind, they are. Change has to start somewhere. All I was saying is; just because it works somwhere else, does not mean it is right for here.

OK, enough, I really am steppin' off my soapbox now!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, in my mind, they are. Change has to start somewhere. All I was saying is; just because it works somwhere else, does not mean it is right for here.

How about:  just because something works they way you've been doing it, doesn't mean that 49 other states and pretty much all the industrialized nations in the world are wrong.  

or let me put it this way... I've traveled a whole bunch and the only 'western' country that I haven't been able to pump my own gas in was Mexico.  I can see how their systems are generally run with Germanic efficiency so Oregon should endeavor to be like them.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I like it when the cute 16 year old high school girls pump my gas while I sit inside my nice air conditioned car. No complaints here.

I think it's stupid, but then it works for me.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I like it when the cute 16 year old high school girls pump my gas while I sit inside my nice air conditioned car. No complaints here.

uh...  where do you shop for gas?  and do they have over 18 pump jockeys?

although, speaking of 16 year old girls, I do have to say that I get quite a bit of entertainment when I am on a road trip out of state and there is a car with Oregon plates and some young kid standing there staring at the pump scratching their head.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Reminds me of the time I was on a business trip to New Jersey.  I pulled into a gas station and hopped out of the rental car to fill it with gas.  The attendent started to yell at me that it was against the law to pump your own gas in New Jersey.  Learned that day Oregon and New Jersey have one thing in common.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Reminds me of the time I was on a business trip to New Jersey.  I pulled into a gas station and hopped out of the rental car to fill it with gas.  The attendent started to yell at me that it was against the law to pump your own gas in New Jersey.  Learned that day Oregon and New Jersey have one thing in common.

Well Damn, if NJ has the same law, and we DON'T want to be like Jersey, maybe we should ch...... Naw, we shouldn't.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

NJ Changed the law last year some time...  buch of quitters.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:18:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just wish people would quit tryin' to make this state like the place that they just had to get out of because of the opressive rules. I'm not tryin to make this a personal attack against "outsiders", althought I realize that  I do tend to come off that way sometimes.

I came from Texas.  The only oppressive rule I can remember is not being able to buy beer before noon on Sunday.

And don't get me started on the aluminum can thing!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

uh...  where do you shop for gas?  and do they have over 18 pump jockeys?

although, speaking of 16 year old girls, I do have to say that I get quite a bit of entertainment when I am on a road trip out of state and there is a car with Oregon plates and some young kid standing there staring at the pump scratching their head.

I used to live in West Linn. So the Chevron at Exit #6 from I-205, south 10th street was where I went.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I came from Texas.  The only oppressive rule I can remember is not being able to buy beer before noon on Sunday.

I accidentally moved into a dry county. Ewww. That and no PowerBall tickets. Had to drive to Shreveport to get them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I got to thinking after reading this thread..............I have lived here all of my life, was born/raised in Portland Metro area......I am 30 years old and have pumped my own gas only twice in my life....
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Just started to lurk on here. You folks cant pump your own fucking gas? Has it always been like that? Is that state wide?

Thats just stupid.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Just started to lurk on here. You folks cant pump your own fucking gas? Has it always been like that? Is that state wide?

Thats just stupid.

You are correct. All gas is pumped for you as per Oregon State Law. But then it's "free" that way. I do quite a bit of travel through Washington and California. Sometimes I forget and sit in the car waiting.

I think it's stupid too, but then, oh well. Not that important. I just laugh to myself that EVERY gun I own is illegal in California.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I got to thinking after reading this thread..............I have lived here all of my life, was born/raised in Portland Metro area......I am 30 years old and have pumped my own gas only twice in my life....

Right after we moved here I was talking to a native Oregonian and she told me she liked the way Oregon does it because she had no idea how to work a gas pump.  If she told me she was from Mars I wouldn't have thought it as strange as that.  For most people in the US it becomes second nature and it's one hell of a culture shock when the first attendant jumps on ya for grabbing the nozzle off the pump.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
You should try pulling up to a station in Washington for the first time and waiting 5 min for the attendant who never comes.....................

That was back in high-school...I know better now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#37]
For one most oregonians might actually vote self serve of gas in if we actually thought gas price would go down. But why let corp amarica make even more money when they no longer pay the attendant but do not drop the price any. That and when its raining why get out get wet when you can stay warm and dry in the car.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
For one most oregonians might actually vote self serve of gas in if we actually thought gas price would go down. But why let corp amarica make even more money when they no longer pay the attendant but do not drop the price any. That and when its raining why get out get wet when you can stay warm and dry in the car.

This is perfectly fine, but why prohibit me from self service?

I remember when self service came to South Carolina (over twenty years ago).  There were many people with the same preferences as yourself so most stations had a self service lane and a full service lane for a few cents more per gallon (they also washed windshields and checked oil).  In a short amount of time the full service pumps were converted to self service.  The reason was that when people found the convenience and lower prices of self service, and the myths were not true, they quit going to the full service islands.  This is the way it's supposed to work, let the consumer decide, not the state dictate.  No one passed legislation outlawing full service, it just died because the consumer decided that the "service" wasn't worth the offset cost.  The state of Oregon has such a strong propaganda campaign to make it's citizens believe that self service is a bad idea it may never come to pass here.  This system is advantageous to someone and it is not the citizens of Oregon.  

Those poor, poor, ignorant bastards in the OTHER 49 STATES!      

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Oregon, born and raised.

With vacations and travel, I've probably been out of the state a total of about 6 months of my entire life.

No self-service is idiotic.

Go back and read my post in the other thread, where I post the actual law about self-service.  We're being treated like retards and we're legislating the free market.

Perhaps you like being treated like a contestant in the Special Olympics.  I don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top