Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 7:32:26 PM EDT
Hey guys and gals , my brother might move him and his family up there sometime. What can he expect , you know politics of the people and state and gun laws.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Why?  We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country.  I would only move here if I had a job waiting.  
Portland is very liberal and Portland steers the state.  The rest of the state, excluding the city of Eugene is OK.

Oregon is a concealed carry "shall issue" state.  If you take your concealed carry class (no shooting) and pass the FBI check you get your CHL.

You want to own a short barreled rifle or Class III, just be outside of Portland.  I don't recall any of these permits being issued in recent history to non-LE types.  You can get one in Multnomah, Clackamas or Washington counties though.

Great state to live in though.  Was just up at Mt. Hood today snowboarding.  Summer boarding!  Its only 1.5 hours away.

The beach is only 1.5 hours away also!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Hope he has a good job waiting.  Gun laws are great, as was posted.  You can not pump your own gas here, no sales tax and the east side of the cascades is not so rainy.  Lots of outdoor activities, lakes, rivers, mountains.  Motor cycling, snow mobiling just to name a few.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hope he has a good job waiting.  Gun laws are great, as was posted.  You can not pump your own gas here, no sales tax and the east side of the cascades is not so rainy.  Lots of outdoor activities, lakes, rivers, mountains.  Motor cycling, snow mobiling just to name a few.

+1

BTW, not pumping your own gas is a good thing
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

If you've spent most of your life in states where you pump your own gas you would have a different perspective.  I hate Oregons gas law and still don't see how it survives.  Being able to zip in, pay at the pump, pump the gas and be gone is a convience that most folks here will not know.  Not to mention the cost being lower.

I remember when "pump your own" was introduced.  Most stations gave people the choice of pumping their own or full service (for a couple cents more per gallon).  The full service soon disappeared due to nobody using it.

As of a couple of years ago motorcyclist can legally pump their own in Oregon, but the attendant has to lift the nozzle and turn the pump on.

I say give the people the choice, just don't be surprised if it turns out like the other 48 states.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

If you've spent most of your life in states where you pump your own gas you would have a different perspective.  I hate Oregons gas law and still don't see how it survives.  Being able to zip in, pay at the pump, pump the gas and be gone is a convience that most folks here will not know.  Not to mention the cost being lower.

I remember when "pump your own" was introduced.  Most stations gave people the choice of pumping their own or full service (for a couple cents more per gallon).  The full service soon disappeared due to nobody using it.

As of a couple of years ago motorcyclist can legally pump their own in Oregon, but the attendant has to lift the nozzle and turn the pump on.

I say give the people the choice, just don't be surprised if it turns out like the other 48 states.

Hoppy,
How do you zip in, and zip out when some prom queen is trying to fill her suv without getting dirty? Or when gramdpa wants to pump the gas "his" way? The in dumbass that cant get his card to rad? Personally I have enough shit to do in a day that zipping in, letting the pump jockey sling the gas is usually faster.

But really I dont care as my guns run on leaded fuel, not the kind you find at the station either
CH
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:53:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hoppy,
How do you zip in, and zip out when some prom queen is trying to fill her suv without getting dirty? Or when gramdpa wants to pump the gas "his" way? The in dumbass that cant get his card to rad? Personally I have enough shit to do in a day that zipping in, letting the pump jockey sling the gas is usually faster.

But really I dont care as my guns run on leaded fuel, not the kind you find at the station either
CH

More often than not I can pull into a gas station, fill up and leave. In OR that is not the case when there is ONE attendant and TWO cars. I have been in OR a very short period of time but I have come to dislike the gas policy.

Is it true that Oregon's unemployment is disproportionately high because of its unemployment programs in Portland and other larger cities like Eugene? Don't those programs actually draw the professionally unemployed from other neighboring states?

ETA(not directed at anyone): I dislike being forced to pay extra for services I do not want or need. I know it is hard for some people to understand but that 40 year old service station attendant is NOT a trained professional.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Hoppy,

CH

Because with pump-your-own there's a gas station at every convenience store, grocery store, tackle shop, Wal-Mart, etc.  Also they have many more pumps and if by some chance that station is full just drive a block down the road and there's another station.  The first time in years I actually had to wait for gas was when we moved here.  I was dumbfounded that people would actually put up with this shit, by law.  

I think the thing that pisses me off most is the fact that they don't even give you the choice of pumping our own.  Like somehow the other 48 states residents are competent enough, but we don't have the expertise to operate the modern gasoline pump.  Much better to hand my credit card to the ex convict, highly trained "fueling professional" than take the chance of some disaster by letting just anyone pump gas.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:40:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Sure is easier on this chairbound guy though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:57:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sure is easier on this chairbound guy though.

OK, I'll give ya that one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:43:55 AM EDT
[#10]
When I need gas for my motorcycle,  I stay on the bike and pump my own damn gas.  The gas guy gets uppity put what can he do?  Nothing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, lets not shit in this guys thread!

Back on topic, where in Oregon is he thinking of moving?
Douglas county is totally redneck (the way I like it!), while Lane county is full of extreme left wing libs, really, I'm not kidding, I never even imagened that such extreme libs even existed before I moved here. Now I think I'll go back to Douglas.

We are a "blue state", we aren't AS F'ed up as California, but I think we will be within 5 years. We had some close calls this year with legislation that would have given us the worst gun laws in the US, IMO. We won....................this year................... Next year

OH yea, look here.www.oregonfirearms.org
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Why on earth would anyone want to pump their own gas?  Its a nightmare.  I think they should have it too so that  you can pay at the pump.  When you have little kids who are asleep in the car, you have to wake them up, drag them in to the station, wrestle with them while you pay.  Horrible.  Who wants to smell like gas all day?

Patty
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Because with pump-your-own there's a gas station at every convenience store, grocery store, tackle shop, Wal-Mart, etc.  Also they have many more pumps and if by some chance that station is full just drive a block down the road and there's another station.  The first time in years I actually had to wait for gas was when we moved here.  I was dumbfounded that people would actually put up with this shit, by law.  

I think the thing that pisses me off most is the fact that they don't even give you the choice of pumping our own.  Like somehow the other 48 states residents are competent enough, but we don't have the expertise to operate the modern gasoline pump.  Much better to hand my credit card to the ex convict, highly trained "fueling professional" than take the chance of some disaster by letting just anyone pump gas.

Man, our self-service laws are the biggest load of liberal bullshit on the planet.

If you don't like self-service, that's fine - there will still be a station or two that caters to people who want full-service (and are willing to pay more for it).

The majority of the public doesn't want full-service.

But, no, we have fabulous laws on our books that show us exactly why we have full-service in Oregon (my comments in red):

480.315 Policy. The Legislative Assembly declares that, except as provided in ORS 480.345 to 480.385, it is in the public interest to maintain a prohibition on the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail. The Legislative Assembly finds and declares that:

(1) The dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by dispensers properly trained in appropriate safety procedures reduces fire hazards directly associated with the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids;

Ever pump gas for a job?  I did.  Zero training in any procedures, safety or otherwise.

(2) Appropriate safety standards often are unenforceable at retail self-service stations in other states because cashiers are often unable to maintain a clear view of and give undivided attention to the dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by customers;

That's why we have signs with pictures for idiots who can't read.

(3) Higher liability insurance rates charged to retail self-service stations reflect the dangers posed to customers when they leave their vehicles to dispense Class 1 flammable liquids, such as the increased risk of crime and the increased risk of personal injury resulting from slipping on slick surfaces;

So?  It's not the legislature's job to disallow high insurance rates for businesses who want to pay it.

(4) The dangers of crime and slick surfaces described in subsection (3) of this section are enhanced because Oregon’s weather is uniquely adverse, causing wet pavement and reduced visibility;

So why isn't self-service car washing outlawed?  I'd say that poses a far greater danger of a slip-and-fall hazard than pumping your own gas.

(5) The dangers described in subsection (3) of this section are heightened when the customer is a senior citizen or is disabled, especially if the customer uses a mobility aid, such as a wheelchair, walker, cane or crutches;

Hence why there would still be self-service stations...

(6) Attempts by other states to require the providing of aid to senior citizens and the disabled in the self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids at retail have failed, and therefore, senior citizens and the disabled must pay the higher costs of full service;

Sucks to be you.  Everyone gets old, everyone will have to pay it.  Circle of life.

(7) Exposure to toxic fumes represents a health hazard to customers dispensing Class 1 flammable liquids;

But it's apparently OK for the full-service employees, who will be exposed to exponentially more toxic fumes than the average self-service customer?  And aren't we still exposed to those fumes when we drive up and roll down the window?

(8) The hazard described in subsection (7) of this section is heightened when the customer is pregnant;

Yet there's no law against pregnant full-service employees.

(9) The exposure to Class 1 flammable liquids through dispensing should, in general, be limited to as few individuals as possible, such as gasoline station owners and their employees or other trained and certified dispensers;

Yes, because since they've been properly trained, they're suddenly immune to the perceived dangers.

(10) The typical practice of charging significantly higher prices for full-service fuel dispensing in states where self-service is permitted at retail:

Significantly?  I've been to California, where there's both self-service and full-service.  It's not that much more expensive - usally about a dollar or so more per fill-up.

(a) Discriminates against customers with lower incomes, who are under greater economic pressure to subject themselves to the inconvenience and hazards of self-service;

Boo-fucking-hoo.  There's no "Right to Convenience" in our State or Federal Constitution.

(b) Discriminates against customers who are elderly or handicapped who are unable to serve themselves and so must pay the significantly higher prices; and

Funny...I don't see any laws against self-service grocery stores, or clothing stores, or any kind of other retail establishments that require you to help yourself.  Target and Safeway don't provide an employee to push your cart around and put stuff in the basket for you.

(c) Increases self-service dispensing and thereby decreases maintenance checks by attendants, which results in neglect of maintenance, endangering both the customer and other motorists and resulting in unnecessary and costly repairs;

HAH!  Again, I worked at a gas station.  There are no maintenance checks.  There is no maintenance!

(11) The increased use of self-service at retail in other states has contributed to diminishing the availability of automotive repair facilities at gasoline stations;

Again, boo-hoo, and so the fuck what?  There's plenty of other automotive repair facilities all over the place.  And, once again, it's not the role of the legislature to legislate protection for a specific kind of business.  Besides that, those types of facilities have virtually disappeared without self-service being legalized.  The general public has come to realize that just because Bubba Smith happens to own a gas station and know how to pump gas (not exactly rocket science...), that doesn't mean he knows how to repair a vehicle.

(12) Self-service dispensing at retail in other states does not provide a sustained reduction in fuel prices charged to customers;

They don't?  Then why does Oregon consistantly have the highest gas prices in the nation?

(13) A general prohibition of self-service dispensing of Class 1 flammable liquids by the general public promotes public welfare by providing increased safety and convenience without causing economic harm to the public in general;

A>  Increased safety is negligible
B>  No right to convenience.
C>  It does cause economic harm - we have some of the highest, if not the highest, gas prices in the nation!

(14) Self-service dispensing at retail contributes to unemployment, particularly among young people;

Tough.  Young people or displaced pump jockeys can go work on the farm, and contribute to the unemployment of illegals.

(15) Self-service dispensing at retail presents a health hazard and unreasonable discomfort to the handicapped, to elderly persons, small children and those susceptible to respiratory diseases;

When did we have a "Right to Comfort" ??  Again, full-service stations are not significantly higher priced.

(16) The federal Americans with Disabilities Act, Public Law 101-336, requires that equal access be provided to disabled persons at retail gasoline stations; and

Equal access is provided - everyone gets to pump their own gas equally.

(17) Small children left unattended when customers leave to make payment at retail self-service stations creates a dangerous situation. [1991 c.863 §49a; 1999 c.59 §160]

Wow, isn't "Pay At The Pump" a great thing?  Who actually pays cash for gas these days?  Even if they do, that's why lots of gas stations have little kiosks outside, so you don't have to go inside!

That's also why we have laws prohibiting leaving your child unattended in the car - idiot parents go into grocery stores and leave their kids in the car in 90 degree weather to bake.  This argument is weak.

Anal-retentive California, the most bullshit-conscious, er, safety-conscious state in the Union, allows self-service.  This is the state that requires cigarettes that put themselves out, and who requires non-flammable beds and crap.

If it was really that unsafe, California would have barred self-service!

I can't believe that I'm alluding to California not being as ass-stupid as Oregon.  Wow.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Douglas county is totally redneck (the way I like it!)

Where abouts are ya located?

Oh and basketcase, tell your brother he is welcome anytime, he just needs to buy an AR15 and get a membership!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Being able to pump your own gas is one thing.  The economic state of Oregon is another thing.  As a person that has lived all my life in Oregon, I hate to see the state deteriorate to the point where I'll have to leave to support my family.

Highly educated people (Masters) and high pay don't go hand in hand in Oregon.  I've been in high tech, manufacturing and various service industries.  I've been an employee of established companies, an employee of several startups, owned a business and have founded startups.  But, its discouraging here.  Portland wants to raise your taxes at every opportunity.  (1.5% Mult Co. Tax and proposed cell phone tax)  Then, the state of Oregon discourages development of industry and housing developments.

Well, somebody else came to the same conclusions.  That person was John Barrows, CEO and founder of several companies.

Link to Sunday Oregonian Article

========================================
Admit it: We're mediocre and don't care

With a low work ethic and uncompetitive, adverse business attitudes, Portland's not winning any prizes for innovation

Sunday, August 14, 2005
JOHN BARROWS
The Oregonian

Finally, someone's spit out what no Oregonian will admit: We're an also-ran and we don't much care.

As Jeffrey Tryens packed his bags, leaving the Oregon Progress Board in the dust for a similar job in Australia, the words spilled out. ("Missing the mark on lofty goals," July 31).

"We're not willing to be bold anymore," said Tryens, the former executive director. "Nobody talks about vision. . . . It's just like we want to get through the day."

Oregon is an also-ran when comes to education, business competitiveness and leadership. That's apparently what most Oregonians want. Oregonians bristle at strong leadership -- Portland has rejected a strong-mayor system multiple times. And legislators, part-time and uncommitted to change or even hard work, reflect their electorate.

Still, Oregon is a nice place to live, that's what continues to draw people. They consciously choose the Oregon lifestyle. They're people, like me, who after helping set the world on fire in places like New York and San Francisco, burn themselves out and seek balance in their lives. I moved from the East Coast to live in Portland 14 years ago. I'm not sorry I did.

But let's be honest with ourselves: The policies and politics of Portland and Oregon are purposefully constructed to reflect the desires of their residents -- low-energy, uncompetitive and hard-work averse -- at least compared to other states and cities that drive the American economy.

That's why it's silly to set lofty goals and bother to compare ourselves to other places. It's fruitless, frustrating and, frankly, dishonest.

Portland is one of America's top 25 markets, but only one Fortune 500 company is based here. There's no major, high-quality university, unemployment consistently runs near the top of the nation's worst states -- such as Mississippi and West Virginia -- and child abuse is among the worst, likely because of minimal employment opportunities. Even so, we strive to protect our 19th-century agrarian economic culture by prohibiting growth and development.

So let's just admit that economic, education and social mediocrity is what we want and quit whining when we don't measure up. I don't want to hear about the next "New York-y" restaurant opening in the Pearl. Oregon is not even a qualified "wannabe."

We are not NYC -- not anything like it. We work our eight hours (maybe) a day, abandon the city on summer Friday afternoons, protect our greenspaces as if they were holy shrines, dig 'shrooms from under cow plops, eat dinner early and abandon downtown by 10 p.m. For some reason we fail to have a budget to put (or keep) criminals in jail, but we can open up skateboard parks all over town. It's what we want.

Face it, Oregon, and shut up.

I chose this lifestyle because I was tired of working so hard. I wanted to watch my grandchildren grow up because I missed my children's early years; I was working all the time.

So let's just admit to ourselves what the rest of the country and the nation's business community already know: We're not competitive. We choose not to be. . . . It's the lifestyle, stupid.

Thanks, Jeff, for exposing us. Now maybe we can accept ourselves. I'm trying.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You know, I'd agree a little bit. But then Dallas, TX was famed for bringing in all the telecom guys...and it's a real dump. The worst place I've ever lived.

But if you look at Portland, it's the last major city that isn't sky-high property values and technology centers. But it's building. Dunno. I like it here and want to stay as long as I can. It's better than living in Boston, Florida, Texas, and Ohio. Maybe not Virginia, but close...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Noaim....guess thats where I am different.  Although I enjoy the luxuries of a city such as Portland, I do not wish to live there.  I enjoy Oregon for its diversity and "ruralness".  In my mind I dont think I could be in a place more rural unless I lived in Wyoming (more antelope than people).  I guess it all depends on this guys brother and what he does and is looking for.  I really think that Oregon has something to offer to anyone.  Portland and surrounding areas for the "big city" feel.  Salem to Eugene if you like the liberals.  Roseburg if you dont mind cutting down trees.  Medford if you dont mind the heat and Californians.  The coast...well.....its the coast.  Bend, wanna be big city in the high desert.  

I think they are all truly great areas with even better surrounding/supporting communities.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I think they are all truly great areas with even better surrounding/supporting communities.

True and that is where the high prices are! Check the outskirts of Gresham, Clackamas, Damascus and troutdale. Hell, Hood River has some of the flipping highest land prices in the state and its an hour from PDX!

But you are correct. its the spread of things offered that makes it great here. What bothers me is like CA and hte rest of the country, we are controled by a population center. Mult county pretty much gets to dictate what the rest of the state does. Sad but true. And not to slam anyone for coming to Oregon from CA, but most of that influence has come from CA. Here in HR our population changes drastically from winter to summer, and a large majority of those come from CA or CAN. They bring all of their wonderful ANTI everything, with them. Not good no matter how you look at it.

I will say this, make sure your brother has work lined out, and doesnt commit to one spot with all his might. FInd work, rent a place, and check it out. THere are many great places in this state.
Make sure he hooks up with the local shooters and stays proactive in that area, its our only hope to fend off the antigun culture that looms.

CH
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#19]
i dunno if anyones mentioned it yet, but we have no SALES TAX, which is the number one reason why i will never move out of ORegon!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You know, I'd agree a little bit. But then Dallas, TX was famed for bringing in all the telecom guys...and it's a real dump. The worst place I've ever lived.

But if you look at Portland, it's the last major city that isn't sky-high property values and technology centers. But it's building. Dunno. I like it here and want to stay as long as I can. It's better than living in Boston, Florida, Texas, and Ohio. Maybe not Virginia, but close...

Forbes Magazine, in their 2005 Most Overpriced Places to Live list ranked Portland as number 3.

Portland blows ass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forbes Magazine, in their 2005 Most Overpriced Places to Live list ranked Portland as number 3.

Portland blows ass.

Portland metro is definitely overpriced. The 'burbs are much more reasonable.

I laugh at the "big city" feel mentioned by others. I think Portland is the smallest city I've lived by, except for in Florida.

Either way, I wouldn't mind living out in the boonies. But since I'm an engineer for a semiconductor company (and lazy) I live all of 5 minutes from work in a yuppie Hillsboro neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Either way, I wouldn't mind living out in the boonies. But since I'm an engineer for a semiconductor company (and lazy) I live all of 5 minutes from work in a yuppie Hillsboro neighborhood.

I too work in the semiconductor industry in Hillsboro, but live in Saint Helens.  25 miles to work is about half what I was driving in Texas and house prices were $40K less for a 3/2.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Douglas county is totally redneck (the way I like it!)

Where abouts are ya located?

Oh and basketcase, tell your brother he is welcome anytime, he just needs to buy an AR15 and get a membership!

I lived in Myrtle Creek, before I moved to Lane county. Now I'm in the prosses of moving back.
I didn't want to offend anyone, I just ment the Douglas county area is more "old fashioned"(?) for lack of a better term. Think opposit of liberal, hippy or yuppy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:41:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I too work in the semiconductor industry in Hillsboro, but live in Saint Helens.  25 miles to work is about half what I was driving in Texas and house prices were $40K less for a 3/2.

When did you move from TX? I camefrom W TN 6 years ago, and was in total sticker shock. 20-30% higher everywhere, including St Helens. There is a slim chance I might go to Nashville this winter and it is still cheaper than arround here.

NFA in Portland is possible. I live in the city, for now, and have gotten 2 cans and 1 MG so far, no problems.

We really do need more firearms friendly people moving here, and non-liberals in general. Many of the Californians might not be liberals by Cal. standards, but they are still liberals.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:04:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
When did you move from TX? I camefrom W TN 6 years ago, and was in total sticker shock. 20-30% higher everywhere, including St Helens. There is a slim chance I might go to Nashville this winter and it is still cheaper than arround here.

Eight years ago.  We rented a place in Hillsboro for a while and bought in Saint Helens in 2000.  It was $20K cheaper in Scappoose and another $20K seven miles more down the road.  The real estate agent said there was an invisable line at Scappoose and that was as far as folks wanted to go outside of Portland and that was the reason for the price disparity.  Saint Helens is really growing these last few years and housing is skyrocketing in the area now.  There's a new subdivision going up every day.

I liked Nashville, but hated living in Memphis.  I was stationed there one year and saw a tornado,  the Mississippi flood, ice storms and got pneumonia in the summer.  It was a hell of a year.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Hey guys and gals , my brother might move him and his family up there sometime. What can he expect , you know politics of the people and state and gun laws.

Thanks

basketcase,

Tell your bro and his family to come out for a visit first and see things first-hand.  There's alot of input here from folks from all over the state, walks of life, etc.  But in the end, it's your brother's decision, and a big one to uproot the family and move them across the country to an unknown.

If he can afford to do it, come out for a couple weeks or something, and get an idea.  I live away from the 'thriving metropolis of Portland'. but close enough that if I have to go into town, I don't have to pack a bag and mule team to get there.  But then again, I can drive basically 1.5 hour in any direction and be up on Mt Hood (best summer skiing around), the ocean (bring your kites, quads/ATV's, but leave the Speedo's at home), the high desert, the gorge (if you windsurf, it doesn't get much better), you name it, it's within reach.

Multnomah county is pretty cool about most things.  The new tax sux, and quite a few have moved out because of it.  But like somone else already stated, Mult. Cty will most likely set the example, so it's only a matter of time before the other counties follow along with a tax of their own.  But hey....at least the state does NOT have a sales tax....YET!

After driving across country from NC back to Oregon last year and seeing gawd knows how many states and burbs along the way, I about jumped out of the car and kissed the ground when I got home.  Sure there are some beautiful places to live across the US, and we did pass through a few of them.  But I'll take Oregon....or Awreegawn as the newbies/non-natives/tourists call it...over anywhere else (except maybe Alaska) anyday.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eight years ago.  We rented a place in Hillsboro for a while and bought in Saint Helens in 2000.  It was $20K cheaper in Scappoose and another $20K seven miles more down the road.  The real estate agent said there was an invisable line at Scappoose and that was as far as folks wanted to go outside of Portland and that was the reason for the price disparity.  Saint Helens is really growing these last few years and housing is skyrocketing in the area now.  There's a new subdivision going up every day.

I liked Nashville, but hated living in Memphis.  I was stationed there one year and saw a tornado,  the Mississippi flood, ice storms and got pneumonia in the summer.  It was a hell of a year.

Was that the November the tornados leveled W. Mem, then flooded, then everything froze over night and stayed that way for a week? Dang, I'm homesick now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I moved from Dallas in the January 2002. Tennesee is considered one of the best "cheap" places to live recently.

It's still my pet theory that Portland is the last major city on the west cost to avoid the dramatic property inflation. Although this past year changed a lot of that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:48:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I'm not an OR resident, yet, but we'll be looking at homes there in a couple weeks.  I've been doing as much research on the same topic as you can on the 'Net (including a lot of good info here).  Coming from CA (though I am not "from California" if you know what I mean), the value to-price-ratio for homes is jaw-droppingly awesome in OR.  If we choose OR, we'll settle on either Clackamas or Washington counties.  Nix on Portland (taxes, leftist city council, etc).  Ditto Multnomah county.  However we do need to be somewhat near the city due to Mrs. Hartmann's vocation so we can't go totally rural either.

I, like you, have a job that is portable, so I'm set there.  But I'm a bit concerned for the Mrs' job prospects.  I have "heard" that "people in Portland compete for pizza delivery jobs" but I am also certain this is an exaggeration.  Still, if you have a gf/spouse it might be something to think about before committing to a move:  can you live on 1 salary alone?

Here is a good link on Portland in general as a place to live.

Disclaimer for the OR residents: if Mrs Hartmann and I do move to OR, we solemnly promise:

1) To join OFF
2) To actively defend OR's 2-A laws against any and all enemies thereof
3) To be active voters in defense of #2
4) To be active contributors to the right parties in defense of #2
5) To drive correctly and responsibly (not like those other really bad driver people out there who come to OR and mess everything up)
6) To never, ever compare things in OR to "how they did it back in CA/FL/HI/MO/NY" (the many places we've lived)
7) To get our CHLs ASAP
8) To pronounce "Oregon" correctly
9) To take our CA license plates off as soon as we get OR plates from the DMV
10)  To not ask when it will stop raining, or when the sun will come out again

-Hartmann
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Just remember to pronounce Willamette right, and you'll blend right in.

Don't forget about the Practical Rifle matches either.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Just remember to pronounce Willamette right, and you'll blend right in.

OK.  So....what's the right way to pronounce it?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#32]
WILL-AM-ETT

NOT
Will-a-met-tee

You will be scorned for doing so........
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:47:10 AM EDT
[#33]

WILL-AM-ETT...NOT Will-a-met-tee

Duly noted but it seems pretty obvious that that's how you're supposed to pronounce it.  Anyone who'd say "Will-a-met-tee" has basic reading skills issues.

You guys do 3 gun around Portland?  That's one of my fav. activities, along w/IDPA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:50:49 PM EDT
[#34]
There's a granola-hippy over in Corvallis that I'm acquainted with through some BBS stuff from several years ago.

He named his son "Willamette", and pronounces his son's name (and the river, and the valley, et. al.) as "Will-lem-eh-tee".

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#35]
One of my co-workers is named "Teal"...as in the color. And yes, his parents did live in a commune down by Grant's Pass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#36]
His last name wouldn't happen to be "Derheim" or something similar, would it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top