Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 10:37:54 PM EDT
I want a real stiff leather jacket. all i can find are thin leather pos. i'm looking for a place that sells real thick leather jackets for riding a motorcycle. the one i have right now just doesnt feal safe.

I 've heard of a place that sells jackets so thick that they stand up on thier own for about a year after you buy them. anyone know the name of this place? or just of a good place in the portland area other than wilsons leather, or the harley store in portland, or the honda place next to it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want a real stiff leather jacket. all i can find are thin leather pos. i'm looking for a place that sells real thick leather jackets for riding a motorcycle. the one i have right now just doesnt feal safe.

I 've heard of a place that sells jackets so thick that they stand up on thier own for about a year after you buy them. anyone know the name of this place? or just of a good place in the portland area other than wilsons leather, or the harley store in portland, or the honda place next to it?

A jacket like the one you're talking about is extremely heavy and uncomfortable.  A lot of the new stuff is coming out with armored elbows and shoulders so you may want to look into that.  I get my jackets at Wilsons for about the last 15 years or so.  I find they are plenty thick and a good compromise between safety, comfort and especially price (a lot of them are on sale during the summer).

There's a little shop in Vancouver that makes some pretty thick stuff like that but I don't have their card with me now.  I'll try and find it when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:59:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Your in luck! The Defacto standard for which all other motorcycle jackets should be compared to is right here in town (Portland). The place is called Langlitz Leathers. I know of many people who have jackets made by them, some of which ages are measured in decades old . Here's the link for their shop. A wait of over a year is typical for a new jacket, but they did have used ones there that you might try.

http://langlitz.com/

I personally own one made by a company in either New York or New Jersey, which is an excelent jacket. I'm a big guy, so I refer to it as the two cow coat. I haven't checked lately, but the company has been around for over 30 years. The company's name is 'Brooks'. It may not be custom fitted, but it is an extremely heavy / solid jacket that would compare to Langlitz. I bought it in the early 90's and it cost me around $350 ordered. You might want to take a look at them also.

Be Safe!
Nox
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Your in luck! The Defacto standard for which all other motorcycle jackets should be compared to is right here in town (Portland). The place is called Langlitz Leathers. I know of many people who have jackets made by them, some of which ages are measured in decades old . Here's the link for their shop. A wait of over a year is typical for a new jacket, but they did have used ones there that you might try.

I'll second Langlitz.  They are spendy, but I trust them daily with my skin! ;-)

You'll end up spending between $600 and $1000 on a custom-fitted jacket, but the wait is typically shorter than a year these days.  

They also have a good selection of used and new jackets on site.  If you are a standard size you might save a few bucks and a few months.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You gotta go down to the shop. There is a wait for custom made to fit,  but the have used and new 'didn't fit exactly right' jackets there in the store.

Langlitz is the standard for American leather jackets. BSW
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, i didnt expect this many relpies, and i sure didnt think any of you'd agree. thanks for pointing langlitz out to me. you guys are life savers :)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I personally own one made by a company in either New York or New Jersey, which is an excelent jacket. I'm a big guy, so I refer to it as the two cow coat. I haven't checked lately, but the company has been around for over 30 years. The company's name is 'Brooks'. It may not be custom fitted, but it is an extremely heavy / solid jacket that would compare to Langlitz. I bought it in the early 90's and it cost me around $350 ordered. You might want to take a look at them also.

Be Safe!

Nox

+2
Langlitz
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#7]
My neighbor has a cow in his backyard............................................( can you say un-incorporated Clackamas county....2 blocks off McLoughlin.... )

His name is T-bone..................that'll be a good BBQ..........maybe we can make some coats too....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My neighbor has a cow in his backyard............................................( can you say un-incorporated Clackamas county....2 blocks off McLoughlin.... )

His name is T-bone..................that'll be a good BBQ..........maybe we can make some coats too....

You could just run out there and scare him to death!

ETA: Or we could just throw WS4LIF over the fence and see what happens!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You gotta go down to the shop. There is a wait for custom made to fit,  but the have used and new 'didn't fit exactly right' jackets there in the store.

Langlitz is the standard for American leather jackets. BSW

They are, without a doubt, the best.  But for that kind of coin I know of only two or three of the folks I ride with that own them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top