Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 8:32:18 PM EDT
I got my first gun of my own a couple months back, went to pick it up and on the background check got delayed.  They said to come back in 3 days, but they might call sooner.  I had a call 2 hours later I was good to go.  I go today to pick up my new lower, they call for the background check and again get delayed until 8/3, or until they call back.  What gives?  The guy at the shop went over the norm, and there was nothing, heck I can guaranty no one else out there has my name.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Having worked in a sporting goods dept. selling guns, you should call the OR State Police and find out the reason. OSP won't tell the shop over the phone for provacy reasons. However, you can call them, ask for the firearms unit, and find out why the delay and get it fixed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Now that's good to know.  I'l ltry that out.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you put your social on the form? I've heard that can delay it too.

P.S. Just be glad you don't have to wait a week.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
and this is in Oregon? wow, the most Ive ever had to wait for a background check is 15 minutes, maybe you have some shady info on you perhaps?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
While in OR the state does the checks which is alot different than NICS I know a couple things sometimes trigger a delay for NICS as of late. Former FFL holders, Military currently getting security clearances, and always common last names without SS #'s given...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be curious, too, if you were putting your Social Security Number on the form or not.

I would imagine that could be a likely cause for delay, if you weren't.

Hey, is Bang still reading this?  I seem to remember he got a rash of delays in the past.  What was the reason for them?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the phone # to call, I'll be checking with the state tomorrow.  The lady told the guy that there was a note to delete something, but that it hadn't been done.  Or somehting like that.  This time was the same thing, I got a call yesterday morning to go pick up my lower all fine and dandy.  I did use my SS# and my last name isn't common, but I somehow have had instances in the past of ID mismatch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:08:24 AM EDT
[#8]
a friend of mine gets delayed all the time.  Never more than a few hours.

He finally found out that there is some scumbag in FL with the same name and similar DOB who has a felony warrant for his arrest so there is always a 'near hit' in NCIC for his name.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I always get "delayed". Supposedly (according to the girl on the other end of the phone, doing the check) it is "policy" for OSP to "delay" all Resdient Aliens (Green Card) as a matter of course. Sometimes the store gets a call back in 30 minutes after the delay, other times it's 24 hours.

If you are a US citizen though, I'd be surprised as to why you get delayed every time.

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]
There is for those who go through NICS a form you can leave on file with them to prove who you are for those of you that wish to give up a little more info. They can reference this info so they know its you and not that felon from FL or whereever. I can't remember what they call it but the info is available through the FBI if you get delayed. I wonder if the state will do that for you Oregon guys??

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:42:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I think it is because he is not a natural born US citizen. He was not born in the US, and anyone who is not gets treated differently as I think happens in every country before anyone goes US bashing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top