Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2005 2:56:43 AM EDT
Anyone know if it would be a decent time of year for crabbing off the pier in newport?

My sons just got here from their mom's and want to do boy stuff    Next week we're goin east to try and find a place to hunt something.   Maybe my sis' property out of Fossil or ???    We're pretty much open to hunting anything, even jackrabbits if you all have any suggestions.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone know if it would be a decent time of year for crabbing off the pier in newport?

My sons just got here from their mom's and want to do boy stuff    Next week we're goin east to try and find a place to hunt something.   Maybe my sis' property out of Fossil or ???    We're pretty much open to hunting anything, even jackrabbits if you all have any suggestions.  

I would think now is as a good time as any for the crabbing.  I know in a few more weeks we usually start salmon fishing over the bar and usually leave a few traps out while we are out in the ocean.

As for the huntin, I would think if you can find any alfalfa fields that just been cut, you should find some sage rats to shoot.  Other than that, look for some sage flats w/little rolling hills or small draws and you should find all the zombie jacks you want.  One word of caution, watch out for the slimy slitherers this time of year, last time I was over at Hart Mt. we saw 4 in 2 days.

Oh, Antelope season starts the tail end of August or so, so watch for that also!

Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Know of any public lands with big ugly Jackrabbits out that way?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Know of any public lands with big ugly Jackrabbits out that way?

45, I'll IM ya as to not reveal my secret spots to everyone in the community.

ETA:  IM'D ya!   if ya take the directions that I posted, do a map and Im me back I might be able to help ya a bit more.  Not too sure if yahoo or mapquest will show that road or not.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Try christmas valley right off of wagontire I've allways had good luck with jackrabbits there.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Late winter to the begining of summer is the only bad time to go crabbing.  Now is good.

Oregon Crabbing link
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Rent a boat you'll have much better results.

my last time out on my boat with my wife we got 23 in less than 3 hrs.

usually only catch a few off the dock in a whole day.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want to shoot lots and lots and lots of rabbits, go out to French Glenn.  I went out there with some friends a while back, and we were even killing rabbits with a sword, there are so many out there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
never heard of french glenn, where the heck is it?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#9]
How did your sons birthday turn out?  Just curious what you ended up doing!

Aaron
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Aaron

Bought him a surplus 98 Mauser, waiting for OSP to clear it though.   Came up stolen, gunbroker had cleared it before but it's showing up hot still.   They are supposed to call me when it clears up.   We're heading east this Monday to go looking for bunnies I hope his mauser is clear by then.

Went crabbing from the pier last weekend, only kept one dungeness.   Caught probably 30+ big females but unfortunately we had to toss them back
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Aaron

Bought him a surplus 98 Mauser, waiting for OSP to clear it though.   Came up stolen, gunbroker had cleared it before but it's showing up hot still.   They are supposed to call me when it clears up.   We're heading east this Monday to go looking for bunnies I hope his mauser is clear by then.

Went crabbing from the pier last weekend, only kept one dungeness.   Caught probably 30+ big females but unfortunately we had to toss them back

Well, hope it clears up soon for ya.  Even though you only got 1 male hope you all still had fun!  Stay cool over east guys.  
Later
Aaron
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#12]
If you bring me crab meat you can bring your boy to my place to shoot rabbits.  Patty

*ETA* French Glen is North West of Burns.  Beautiful area.  There are loads of rabbits in between Madra and Prineville near Boyce Corrals too.  French Glen is one of the prettiest places in Oregon so I would recommend going but spending at least a week there.   Patty
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you bring me crab meat you can bring your boy to my place to shoot rabbits.  

I'll stop by safeway on the way out
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That works for me.  Hey, there's no safeway near by.  Crab goes well with rabbits so I hear!  Patty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That works for me.  Hey, there's no safeway near by.  Crab goes well with rabbits so I hear!  Patty

I think most of the rabbits I've shot had crabs, or was it the crabs had rabbits, dunno.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
ewhhh.....in that case bring the beef.  Patty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How bout Chicken?  I hear that's what the monkeys are pullin for...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How bout Chicken?  I hear that's what the monkeys are pullin for...

You're not trying to get me to eat Monkey food are you?   Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top