Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2005 11:22:52 AM EDT
Does anyone know of a "local" (Or-Wa) armorer's course for the AR?  I would like a 2, or even 1, day course to get up to speed.

Thanks,

Rick
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Does anyone know of a "local" (Or-Wa) armorer's course for the AR?  I would like a 2, or even 1, day course to get up to speed.

Thanks,

Rick

Ahhhhhhh, the AR is like the easyest weapon to work on.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#2]
How about an AGI video??? Some are alright???
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Real_Estate_Salesman:    Hopefully not too confusing;  Lots of it is easy, but I find some instruction speeds the learning curve.  I think a little coaching might help me, especially with barrels, headspace and the like.  Plus, a good class is just plain fun and provides some focused flight time.  

I plan on changing out the gas block on my  Oly PCR to something with a BUIS, and would either like to replace or clean up the single stage trigger on the Oly. I understand that in concept changing the gas block is simple, a couple of pins, a punch and hammer, but hear that barrel diameters are so varied that finding something to fit may not be so easy.  Also,  many garage smiths tend to avoid triggers after screwing up a couple.  I may wind up dropping in a White Oak Precision RRA 2 stage or something else.

BTW, I really love the RRA 2 stage on my carbine.  After shooting it the single stage on the Oly match barrel feels awful, although it really is a decent single stage.

Goal, a bottom up build from parts, probably starting with LMT or Stag although I'm not sure.

Belial:    I'll check out the AGI video, hopefully others will have comments as well.

Regards, and Thanks Guys,

Rick

Link Posted: 6/23/2005 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't heard on anyone giving any classes per say but if you find something close let us all know. I am sure there would be a few guys that would love to go for shits and grins if nothing else. I think a couple of the videos I have seen on other weapons were pretty decent in getting you familiar with what is what, what goes where, and how to put it back. They always have a few WTH's in there but such as life...

Cheers

BTW If you get in a jam I am sure there are guys close enough to you that could help you out if you give the shout out....
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, several good people circulate throughout Oregon each summer. While the majority of the classes are directed at Military or LEO agencies, the "general public" is certainty not excluded. But you will have to pass muster to gain entrance into any really good instructors class.

This might be your cup of tea, you will train on the M-16, and Ken is a pretty serious kind of guy.

Ken Elmore, Ken is THE factory colt trainer, caught his M-16 armour course in Hermiston, two years ago. Learning curve was pretty steep.
www.sawlesales.com/train/COLTM16.html

The local LEO contact is easy, talking your way into the course will be difficult, but very worthwhile if you succeed. 3 Day Course (24 hours) Cost - $375
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I think Phoenix Armory in Oregon City do an AR15 armorers class.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 12:51:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Rick Lind, you a LEO? Just get your agencie to cough up the $$$ and pay to send you to a nice place, where you can kick back in a fancy hotel at night. Go straight to Colt and find out where that might be.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
No, not LEO.  I'm a civilian active in EMS who will pay with my own nickel.  Shouldn't be too hard to get recommendations.  I think I'll start with the DVD/video approach for now and go from there.  The Colt class looks good.  I wonder how they would like it if I showed up with a RRA?

Here's a question, actually 2.  How important is it to get all the burnt powder off the bolt when cleaning, and how do you get the gas rings off without screwing up the channel they ride in.  I haven't tried yet, is it a matter of dental picks or something?

Regards,

Rick

Link Posted: 6/27/2005 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I would attend and know a couple guys locally that would be there also.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We haven't done one up that way as of yet.  The closest has been California.  Would there be enough interest for a course?  If so please sound off, and we will try to coordinate a location that works well.

CY6,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
TheDefensiveEdge.com  

You can count me in if I can afford the class fee.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I would plan to attend.

Rick

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Bushmaster has very good basic video for assembling one.

they are so easy to do. i tear em apart and pc them together all the time really easy if
you have the tools
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you, all, sincerely, for the considered replies.

rick

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
We would be happy to offer this factory certified course there.  This course is open to everyone.  A proper location would be required, this means that we need a building with adequate lighting.  Each student will need approximately 3'-4' of table top space, enough to break down a rifle.  We supply just about everything else that is needed.  All students will go away with a great new appreciation and understanding of this weapon system, as well as we offer each student a chance to purchase one of our rifles at a discounted price.

CY6,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
TheDefensiveEdge.com
SLR15.com

I'd be interested if you teach a course in Oregon.  I know of at least one other person who'd attend.  

Lorne

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:27:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Greg,

Is Onalaska, WA close enough to OR for a class? I know the owner of a firearms academy there and he has in the past been interested in having an AR armorer class taught at his school.

How far south of Seattle is that Tweak?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:28:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#27]
If we put a class into 2006 with enough (2-3 mos) lead time I will schedule and send money and commit.  Tweak's location is a good one.

Here's 1.  Tweak (?) makes 2.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Pending specifics, please count me in. FAS isn't a bad drive from Bend as long as the passes are clear.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in, plus I have a friend who's interested.  So add 2 to your list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top