Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 2:18:05 PM EDT
Apparently, it isn't.

So don't put too much stock in the stories you have been told that any AWB bill would die in the house.
There are obviously enemies there who will lie and cheat to ensure that anti-gun legislation proceeds.

See the full story.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
mutha pusbucket....!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
So I hope you sent appropriate e-mails while your faces were red.
If you think about it, follow up with a phone call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#4]
So what's the best-case scenario that can come from this?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#5]
There are several possibilities:

Apparently, there are methods to drag a bill back into committee. If they can do that, they can then sit on it until it dies. Of course, that doesn't help us to renew our CHLs by mail.

It can go on the the house floor for a vote. If it passes it tells us all we need to know about the people there - if it passes in the house, it will almost certainly pass the senate judiciary committee with lots of bells and whistles added, and will probably pass a senate vote - the only hope would be that Burdick would go over the top in adding bells and whistles, and make it to objectionable even for the senate dems.

It can go to the house floor and get voted down. The chances of this happening depend upon the level of feedback from us and our friends.

Probably the best thing that could happen is that the staffer who is supposedly responsible for this gets fired, and that the outrage from you, me and others is enough to ensure that no anti-gun bill gets through the house judiciary committee this session.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, got a reply to my e-mail:

Philip,  This bill is still in Representative Krieger's committee.  He has not signed it out to the floor and will not until the Gun Lobbyist Oks it.  Colleen Krieger Legislative Assistant for Rep. Krieger

-----Original Message-----
   Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 3:58 PM
   To: REP Krieger
   Subject: Re: HB 2768

Dear Representative Krieger,

HB 2768 moved out of your committee in spite of your assurances that it would not.

There is no reason to believe that problems with the bill that were not corrected in your committee will be addressed when the bill is in the hands of Ginny Burdick, whose animosity towards gun owners is well known.

I find it incredibly difficult to believe that: a) this was a mistake by a staffer and b) said staffer still has a job.

I urge you to do whatever you must to make sure this bill is pulled off the House floor.

Please keep your promise to gun owners.

Very truly yours

Philip Peake
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#7]
So I asked Kevin Starrett about the reply I got.
Here is his reply:

Thanks for sharing Krieger's reply.

I think this answer is a bit misleading, In order for the bill to be kept off the House floor, the committee must vote for reconsideration.

I have been told that this vote will take place Wednesday morning.

As of right now, the schedule does not reflect this.

If anything happens, we'll let you know.

Kevin Starrett
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:25:53 AM EDT
[#8]
So has it passed out of committee on to the floor?  Patty
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So has it passed out of committee on to the floor?  Patty

That is the question.
It seems that it was voted out of committee, which would normally take it directly to the floor.
OFF and the NRA are not happy about this since they were told that it would not get out of committee and didn't need to attend the hearing.

Rep. Kreiger is saying that it won't get to the floor, he will get it back into committee and keep it there until "the gun lobby" agrees to its format.

However, getting it back into committee requires the same comittee that voted it out to now vote to reconsider it.

That should be an interesting meeting to attend...
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Ron Harder should file an ethics violation to whom ever told him it wouldn't make it out of committee.  

Patty
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#11]
The bill is now back in committee - thanks to the work of those people who contacted their reps.
See the full story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top