Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2005 6:35:14 AM EDT
I know that most hunting locations are secret, but I wonder if I could get a hint or two on where to go in Eastern Oregon? Is June getting a little late? I am thinking about sage rats and jack rabbits. We used to go SE of Arlington for rabbits but their population seems to be going down.
Thanks,
Craig
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
/raises hand also, whilst other hand furiously works to complete varmint rig.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The coyotes anyway are pretty much denned up right now.  I haven't seen one out for quite a while.  I did see a dead one in the road [road kill] yesterday though so they're diffinately out.

Patty
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know that most hunting locations are secret, but I wonder if I could get a hint or two on where to go in Eastern Oregon? Is June getting a little late? I am thinking about sage rats and jack rabbits. We used to go SE of Arlington for rabbits but their population seems to be going down.
Thanks,
Craig

No, June is a good time to get out for sage rats and jack rabbits.  Sage rats are out the whole summer.  Christmas Valley is a good spot to go.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:00:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks,
Craig

No, June is a good time to get out for sage rats and jack rabbits.  Sage rats are out the whole summer.  Christmas Valley is a good spot to go.

I saw loads of sand rats and rabbits this past week  end.  Towards Boyce Corral near Madras [public land] you could easily find 1000 jack rabbits.  Around Mayville there's loads of sand rats but then there were out by me too.

Patty
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. Would you get a ownership type map from the Forest Service, BLM, ODFW to ensure that you were on public land or is it pretty well marked?

I searched and saw a Boyce Corral just east of Culver. Is that the right area? On the photo (google maps) it looks like the perfect kind of spot. Just outside of irrigated areas and in a small valley.

Mayville, halfway between Condon and Fossil, looked a little more farmed.

Thanks for the help,
Craig
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Would you get a ownership type map from the Forest Service, BLM, ODFW to ensure that you were on public land or is it pretty well marked?

I searched and saw a Boyce Corral just east of Culver. Is that the right area? On the photo (google maps) it looks like the perfect kind of spot. Just outside of irrigated areas and in a small valley.

Mayville, halfway between Condon and Fossil, looked a little more farmed.

Thanks for the help,
Craig

Craig Boyce Corral is east of Cluver as the bird flies.  It is public lands and is well posted.  You really do not need to go clear out to the corrals.  I just thought of those as I was there last week end [week end before last] for a dog trial and the rabbits were a dern nausence.

Mayville is mostly private land all right.  I keep forgetting that!  I grew up there and know everyone.

You might look on your state map for Shelton Park.  It's south of Fossil off of HWY 19.  It was recently purchased by Wheeler County but was a formally a state park.  Bear Hollow would be another park [formally state park] to look into.  There should be critters galore to shoot.

Patty
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Patty
Bear Hollow, isnt that right off 19 before service creek?   Is there open land behind there to hunt?   I'm also looking for a place to help thin the varmint population.   There's not too many small critters on my sis' property, mostly deer.    Not that I'm complaining about the deer tho!  

Also, anybody know the type of grouse that are up in the hills in that area?   Damn things flush all over the place during deer season.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Awww splodin vermin *spit.............ding*
My faavirt kinds.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a lot of land up behind Bear Hollow.  You're right it's just south of Fossil towards Service Creek.

There are Blue Ruffled Grouse up there.  Patty
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Who exactly owns the land around Bear Hollow?   Is it BLM or the county?   I'd like to get a map so I dont trespass on private lands.   My boys will be here next month and I'd like to take em critter hunting.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Who exactly owns the land around Bear Hollow?   Is it BLM or the county?   I'd like to get a map so I dont trespass on private lands.   My boys will be here next month and I'd like to take em critter hunting.

Its county land.  The county just bought the property from the state.  Patty
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:25:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything I need to know before hunting up there?   Are there any county permits or anything to worry about?    I assume I'd contact the county assessors office for maps ?    

Yes, I know I'm a pain in the arse.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:36:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anything I need to know before hunting up there?   Are there any county permits or anything to worry about?    I assume I'd contact the county assessors office for maps ?    

Yes, I know I'm a pain in the arse.  

I honestly do not know.  I'll try to ask today when I'm in Fossil.  I've never hunted there.  We have private land so I'm not a lot of help there.  I just know its public land and should be fine.  There is also so really nice public land at the look out that would be good hunting.  You could get a map at the Forest Service [directly pass Fossil on left about 5 miles].  

Patty
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top