Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 8:54:15 AM EDT
Hello

I'm pretty green when it comes to coastal elk hunting but want to get one.

Looking for Elk hunting info i'll be hunting general rifle coast bull  and  gathering info on if any one has seen any heards know of good areas or any other useful tips.

do they prefer the higher or lower elevations during november ? anyone willing to share info
please post or maybe some good hunting stories ?

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been on a few elk hunting trips in Western OR, so I'll give it a shot.

Looking for Elk hunting info i'll be hunting general rifle coast bull and gathering info on if any one has seen any heards know of good areas or any other useful tips.

Good news:

* There are lots of elk in the coast range
* Lots of public lands to hunt
* Good units include Wilson, Trask and Saddle Mountain in NW OR
* Accessible areas - Nestucca River Road, Nehalem River road south
  of highway 26.  North Fork Trask River Road can be accessed from Pike Rd
  in Yamhill and extends for about 50 miles to Highway 101.  
  Closer to Portland, areas outside of Henry Hagg lake contain elk but may be
  spooked by other hunters.
* Look for old skid trails and blocked off roads which will get you back in
  the woods where you can move around and keep quiet

Bad news:

* The terrain is very rugged and the vegatation is thick

do they prefer the higher or lower elevations during november ? anyone willing to share info
please post or maybe some good hunting stories ?

All I can say is get out in the woods, drive around, explore and look for sign.  
Get a good pair of binaculars and spend some time eyeballing clearcuts.
If you see lots of elk or areas with good sign, mark them with your GPS.
I would stay out of the heavy brush which is most areas since it is
impossible to keep quiet.  However elk will move around in these areas
and make lots of noise.  Unfortunately, elk are usually in groups and all it
takes is to spook one and the rest stampede.

And most important, get good raingear and waterproof mud boots!

My $0.02 worth.

Spambo
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Sambo for the info im kind of a gear freak gortex and danner boots and stay dry and warm in oregons most heavy downpours  .  on the couple trips i have gone on i have seen lots of guys watching clear cuts i know its common to see elk in clear cuts during non hunting season but i would think they would avoid the clear cuts during hunting season do many of the guys watching clear cuts score a elk ?

looks like i missed the season for wilson and trask

i would think a clear cut with limited access would be good to watch though.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
on the couple trips i have gone on i have seen lots of guys watching clear cuts i know its common to see elk in clear cuts during non hunting season but i would think they would avoid the clear cuts during hunting season do many of the guys watching clear cuts score a elk ?

The reason that deer and elk like the clear cuts is that there is more for them to
browse upon that in the brush.  What I like to do is locate clear cuts with sign,
drive to about 1/2 mile away and get out and quietly walk down the edge of the
road to the clear cut.  Hopefully, a vehicle won't come down the road at the same
time and interrupt you.  Glass the area for about 10-15 minutes for game.  Many
times you'll only see a hind end.  When that is the case, since elk are herd
animals, there will probably be more around that you can't see.

Hunting is tough in the coast range since there is so much brush.  You can't see anything.
You can't move in the brush since you make so much noise and when the elk go charging
into the brush, you cannot follow.  They're gone.  Several times I've been following
fresh sign to see it disappear into the heavy brush.  This is why I prefer hunting in Eastern
OR, even though the hunting is not that great.  Surprisingly, this year I came home with
a forked horn bun.   Talk about luck!.

Spambo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top